News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Strulowitz

The most beautiful clubhouses in each state
« on: July 18, 2018, 04:16:24 PM »

Daryl David

Re: The most beautiful clubhouses in each state
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 06:47:14 PM »
The Hideaway for CA???  This can’t make Mr. Hubbard at Bighorn very happy. So much for $70 million.

Peter Flory

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 06:58:05 PM »
Newport is really striking. 

Rob Rigg

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 08:27:25 PM »
Some interesting choices. Waverley CC in Portland, OR - which sits on the Willamette River - is by far the most stunning clubhouse I've seen in the state. Newport looks spectacular and it's kind of cool to see Frank Lloyd Wright's clubhouse at King K make it. You can see that thing from Kihei - LOL. They picked the Bridge for NY over NGLA or Wayne Manor (aka - Friar's Head  ;D ) - Bold!

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 09:47:01 PM »
Oregon's selection seems to fit a "dumb blond" category.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 09:49:05 PM »
I was happy to see Streamsong make the list, though the membership at Seminole would beg to differ.  Rock Creek, too!  I have to say I'm surprised that more of my new courses succeeded in this category than places where we consult!

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 10:13:49 PM »
I’m a big fan of modernist and post-modernist architecture, and obviously all bets are off when the criterion is subjective, but that author must absolutely hate Mediterranean-style architecture not to pick Mizner’s Everglades Club or Fatio’s Indian Creek. 

I mean, both of these buildings are fantastic to behold, to explore and heck just to lounge in.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 11:02:59 PM »
"I’m a big fan of modernist and post-modernist architecture"

Mark B. -

I was glad to see a few contemporary-looking buildings on the list, buildings that were not designed in some faux-Tudor style to look like they were 100 years old.

Just because golf courses can designed to look like they have have been there for 100 years there is no need for clubhouses to do so.

DT

Doug Hodgson

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 11:14:07 PM »
Oakland Hills is an outstanding facility in all regards but I was more impressed by the clubhouse at CCD, indeed it's probably the most impressive clubhouse I have ever seen

Evan_Green

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 11:29:19 PM »
Don't understand how they could not choose Valley Club for California (unless they haven't seen it)

Mark Kiely

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 01:14:54 AM »
Did they get confused on Nevada or am I mistaken? A Google search for Skye Canyon finds a housing community but no golf course.
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 09:37:25 AM »
The Hideaway for CA???  This can’t make Mr. Hubbard at Bighorn very happy. So much for $70 million.

I found this odd as well. My choice is the Frank Lloyd Wright clubhouse at Nakoma resort in the Sierras.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2018, 10:02:57 AM »
Love the clubhouse at The Bridge. My favorite one anywhere.
Mr Hurricane

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2018, 11:10:26 AM »
Did they get confused on Nevada or am I mistaken? A Google search for Skye Canyon finds a housing community but no golf course.

It is a "clubhouse" ranking, not necessarily a golf clubhouse.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

J_ Crisham

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2018, 11:26:13 AM »
I was happy to see Streamsong make the list, though the membership at Seminole would beg to differ.  Rock Creek, too!  I have to say I'm surprised that more of my new courses succeeded in this category than places where we consult!
In addition to Boco Rio, Gulfstream, Indian Creek, Mtn Lake ..... Some real beauties in FL

Kalen Braley

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2018, 11:39:39 AM »
I'd view this list in the same vein of "Best Diner" of "Best Steak House" in each state.....

Bruce Katona

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2018, 12:26:45 PM »
Much like cars, wives, girlfriends & mistresses, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.  I enjoyed looking at the pix, whether I agree or not with the selections.

PCCraig

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2018, 12:52:00 PM »
I don't think a lot of research went into the article. It looks like an intern was told to create some click bait content.
H.P.S.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2018, 01:56:01 PM »
My God, but there are some ugly, tasteless monstrosities on that list!  ;D

JLahrman

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2018, 02:41:36 PM »

For some clubhouses it looks like they were picking the biggest in the state, not the best. There are a lot of McMansions in there.

Modern design is a little hit or miss for me. Just from these pictures, the entries for Arkansas (The Blessings) and Utah (Sand Hollow) look fantastic. The Bridge not so much although maybe it's just because I was surprised to not see Winged Foot or Shinnecock for NY.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2018, 08:58:48 PM »
Virginia's doesn't have a golf course, either (I don't think).
As to the biggest difference in quality of clubhouse and accompanying golf course, that would have to be Gettysvue in Knoxville.
WW

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2018, 11:32:20 PM »
The Dakotas should feel slighted.

Mike Schott

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2018, 11:39:48 PM »
Oakland Hills is an outstanding facility in all regards but I was more impressed by the clubhouse at CCD, indeed it's probably the most impressive clubhouse I have ever seen

I've never considered the Oakland Hills clubhouse architecturally interesting. There must be better in Michigan. The original U of M clubhouse was a Prairie Style beauty.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2018, 07:53:57 AM »
Somewhere on BuildingClubAtlas.com a group of Building afficianados are lauding this list and looking down their noses at our picayune, philistine pig ignorance.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Gene Greco

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2018, 03:01:21 PM »
I’m a big fan of modernist and post-modernist architecture, and obviously all bets are off when the criterion is subjective, but that author must absolutely hate Mediterranean-style architecture not to pick Mizner’s Everglades Club or Fatio’s Indian Creek. 

I mean, both of these buildings are fantastic to behold, to explore and heck just to lounge in.

My guess is he's never been inside either one..
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back