News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jerry Kluger

Re: US Senior Womens' Open at Chicago GC- is anyone going?
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2018, 10:11:16 PM »
Nice photos but I cannot find the "links" land by the sea.

Phil McDade

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2018, 12:07:05 PM »
The USWO practice rounds were closed to the public on Monday this year.

As soon as you let the public in, you're obligated to provide parking, shuttle services, first aid, disability services, security etc etc etc. Even by Wednesday the volunteers still outnumbered the spectators 2-1.

Kudos to the USGA and Fox for so much coverage of the various events. Curtis Cup at Quaker was good TV despite the blowout, and I'm sure next week will be the same.

MW

If I recall, Fox got the men's U.S. Open from the USGA in return for providing coverage of other USGA events without that championship's ratings.

George Pazin

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2018, 01:33:22 PM »
Say all you want about Fox's broadcasts, but at least they're showing the other events. You can always turn the sound down, but you can't create a feed that doesn't exist...

My first real in depth exposure to Oakmont was at the US Am in 2003. They had very little roped off. In fact, I was able to wander around the course, nowhere near the actual play, taking pics from interesting angles and such. Good stuff.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2018, 02:59:00 PM »
I'm going to be there either Friday afternoon or Saturday morning.

If you're coming to the area and don't mind a little drive, I have a round booked at Davenport CC Saturday afternoon via ClubCorp, and have room for 2 more. PM if interested.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 10:29:16 PM by Ryan Hillenbrand »

John McCarthy

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2018, 07:28:19 PM »
I'm in for Friday afternoon, maybe dinner after? 

Ryan: got my knockout match on Sunday.  I would love to get back to Davenport - that is a special golf course. 
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

ed_getka

« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2018, 09:51:18 PM »
I'll be there Thursday morning when the gates open and will walk the course until they kick me out. Hope to see at least one GCA'er out there.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Rick Emerson

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2018, 03:56:47 PM »
I’ll be out there Friday. I’d love to meet up. PM me. I’ll be there when the gates open hopefully.

John McCarthy

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2018, 08:19:33 PM »
I just sent pms out to the folks who I think will be there Friday.  I am hoping to walk the course starting around 3 pm then maybe have a nice dinner.  I am told Warren's Alehouse is good for both food and beer.

If anyone wants to join all are welcome.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Drew Groeger

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2018, 11:10:55 PM »
Now would probably be a good time to revive this slideshow from the USGA: http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/championships/2018/u-s--senior-women-s-open/galleries/course-overview.html#expanded
Interesting to note the yardages and occasionally par on some of these holes. Does anyone know if the club has built a teebox on 1 for it to play 374? It's 450 from the first teebox usually.

It's approx. 374 yards from the start of the 1st fairway to the centre of the green, perhaps they are teeing it up from there.

Tyler
I asked a member about that forward tee on 1 and he said they built it about a year ago or so specifically for this tournament. The 1st hole is listed as 380 yds. and it looks like its at a well-placed distance for this field. I was able to watch practice rounds on Monday and today (the Caddie HQ tent is along the 1st fairway) and the fairway bunker down the right side definitely comes into play. It's about 250 to the left edge of it. Players either hit down the right side short of that bunker (some of the longer hitters are using 3-woods/hybrids) or hit driver to the center. But everything runs quick right-to-left at the bottom of that valley and I saw a number of dead center drives end up in the left rough. A tough approach from down there!

Drew Groeger

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2018, 11:32:59 PM »
I'll be there Thursday morning when the gates open and will walk the course until they kick me out. Hope to see at least one GCA'er out there.
If you are there by 6:45am, the opening ceremony is taking place at the flagpole behind the clubhouse. I'll be handing out bibs to the caddies on either 1 or 10 starting at 7:00am so feel free to stop by and say hello! I get "off duty" at 10:30 and would be happy to walk around with any GCA'ers. I have been able to walk the course after my volunteering both Monday and today and I have to say: the course looks and feels pretty special. To me it's beautiful. Rooted in Scottish golf history and yet quintessentially Midwestern, if that makes any sense. I took a bunch of pictures but it's hard to capture the high degree of subtlety I noticed at nearly every turn. I'm still processing a lot of it and can't wait to get out there again!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2018, 12:13:16 AM »
I’ve been fortunate to play Chicago Golf a few times and it’s a real favourite. Whilst National is stunning so is the land and setting, Macdonald basically took a very large flat field and built a masterpiece. It’s a shame the course gets so little play as it should be an A lister for any student of architecture.
Cave Nil Vino

Andrew Buck

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2018, 12:19:11 AM »
I'm going to be there either Friday afternoon or Saturday morning.

If you're coming to the area and don't mind a little drive, I have a round booked at Davenport CC Saturday afternoon via ClubCorp, and have room for 2 more. PM if interested.

I’m booked on Saturday, but I’d urge others to accept an invitation to to play Davenport.  I would rank as top 5 in Chicago if in Chicago.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 12:04:41 PM by Andrew Buck »

mark chalfant

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2018, 08:16:59 AM »

I will attend Thursday- Saturday .  I would enjoy meeting fellow  GCA devotees

mc464@nyu.edu

Drew Groeger

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2018, 11:07:29 PM »
Here's the pin sheet from today. As you can tell from the scoring, the players had a tough go of it. Some of these pin locations were nasty! What a way to start. There was a decent breeze too, which added to the fun.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2018, 12:10:00 AM »
Please don't take this the wrong way but 1 player shot 105 today.  Started with a bogey and then made three consecutive quadruple bogeys.  Thats 5-9-7-9. Ouch. Having played CGC, I'll attest those opening holes are hard.

Emile Bonfiglio

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2018, 12:33:37 AM »

My Xfinity Cable listings show the Senior Players on during the window that FS1 was supposed to be showing this event on Sat/Sun. Is anyone else seeing this or is it my market only?

The USWO practice rounds were closed to the public on Monday this year.

As soon as you let the public in, you're obligated to provide parking, shuttle services, first aid, disability services, security etc etc etc. Even by Wednesday the volunteers still outnumbered the spectators 2-1.

Kudos to the USGA and Fox for so much coverage of the various events. Curtis Cup at Quaker was good TV despite the blowout, and I'm sure next week will be the same.

MW

If I recall, Fox got the men's U.S. Open from the USGA in return for providing coverage of other USGA events without that championship's ratings.
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2018, 01:20:45 AM »
Emile:  must be a glitch on your end.  I am Comcast/Xfinity also, and both Saturday and Sunday rounds are listed on FS1 at 1 pm PT.  Here is my Sunday guide:

https://imgur.com/a/jH1qMgg
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Drew Groeger

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2018, 05:21:37 AM »
Please don't take this the wrong way but 1 player shot 105 today.  Started with a bogey and then made three consecutive quadruple bogeys.  Thats 5-9-7-9. Ouch. Having played CGC, I'll attest those opening holes are hard.
The only detail I know about that is there was a WD at the last minute and she was the 1st alternate, suddenly thrust into the competition.

Jon Adkins

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2018, 09:04:17 AM »
I’ll be there tomorrow morning (Saturday), hopefully around the time gates open. Can’t wait to see it. Would be happy to walk with any GCAers out there.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2018, 11:47:06 AM »
I was there Monday to preview it and Thursday for the first couple of hours before going to the Deere for the rest of the week. It was sublime. The setting, the mood, the anticipation before JoAnne Carner struck the first ball in anger, the entire package. Kudos to all. Wish I could be there all week.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back