News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

We-Ko-Pa Saguaro Bunker Renovation
« on: June 27, 2018, 09:55:22 PM »
A lot of work gets done in the summer here in The Valley of the Sun. This is one such project:

https://wekopa.com/arizonas-best-golf-course-gets-even-better-with-bunker-renovation

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Mark Smolens

Re: We-Ko-Pa Saguaro Bunker Renovation
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 02:51:32 PM »
Just curious. . . is the Superintendent quoted in the article correct that bunkers need to be "updated" (my word interpreting his comments) every ten years? To a layman/idiot such as myself, that doesn't seem to be a very long time between work which has the potential to be pretty darned expensive. . .

Matthew Petersen

Re: We-Ko-Pa Saguaro Bunker Renovation
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 01:53:25 PM »
Well, he says you'll have to do "something" ... not necessarily something this full-scale. But in the desert, for a high-end place that does a lot of rounds and wants to maintain a high end image, yeah, this is probably not terrible out of line.

I played Saguaro on Tuesday, to get a round end before they closed for the summer. Course was great as usual, though it was obvious they haven't been tending to the greens as much as usual, why would they since they are shutting the course down Monday, I guess. Still played fine, just a bit shaggy, bit bumpy. I was in two bunkers, one fairway and one greenside. Very frankly, both were more like gravel than sand. And I say that as someone who wants bunkers to be hazards and wants them to reflect local character. They were playable, but they were not sandy. Whether that is inevitable for a course after 12 years in Arizona or whether it's reflective of some failure in maintenance or constructions, I certainly cannot say.

But I do think someone from the east coast who comes here in February and pays over $200 to play the top rated public course in Arizona would have a legit gripe with the condition of those bunkers given the rate the course charges in the winter.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back