News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Glore

US Senior Womens' Open at Chicago GC- is anyone going?
« on: June 28, 2018, 10:01:53 AM »
I'm flying into Chicago Friday night, I'm going to stick around and go view the Golf Club.  Is anyone going Saturday morning?  I'll walk the entire course and then head to Michigan for the weekend and play some golf somewhere between the two. 

SL_Solow

Re: US Senior Womens' Open at Chicago GC- is anyone going?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 10:06:08 AM »
I will be there for meetings and a practice round on Wednesday.  Probably for part of Saturday after I play in an event promoting junior golf at Cantigny where some of the women who don't make the cut will play with local juniors and a few "others".

Buck Wolter

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 11:22:51 AM »
Any idea if there will be access for practice rounds? I'll be in town early in the week.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

JHoulihan

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 12:42:16 PM »
I am flying in from Phoenix. Playing in WI earlier in week and hope to walk course at least 2 days. Sounds like Wednesday should be practice day with cameras allowed but will have to reread USGA site for details.

Justin

Ira Fishman

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 01:50:09 PM »
Quite a weekend for women's golf in Chicago area.  LPGA Championship is at Kemper Lakes.  And busy weekend for USGA with Men's Senior at the Broadmoor.

Ira

Tal Oz

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 02:26:22 PM »
Now would probably be a good time to revive this slideshow from the USGA: http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/championships/2018/u-s--senior-women-s-open/galleries/course-overview.html#expanded
Interesting to note the yardages and occasionally par on some of these holes. Does anyone know if the club has built a teebox on 1 for it to play 374? It's 450 from the first teebox usually.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 06:17:41 PM »
Quite a weekend for women's golf in Chicago area.  LPGA Championship is at Kemper Lakes.

Does the USGA not get along with the LPGA Tour?  It seems odd that they would schedule events opposite each other and split the already small potential gallery.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 07:33:29 PM »
It’s the Women’s Senior Open. Not exactly a big draw on any weekend. They’ll probably get a couple thousand per day, maybe a little more on the weekend. That’s about the attendance for the KPMG last year at Olympia. And that’s a major for the LPGA.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Ira Fishman

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 07:47:38 PM »
My bad for assuming and not fact-checking. The US Senior Women’s is in two weeks.

Ira

Tim Martin

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 07:59:28 PM »
Does anyone know if the USGA will have the same infrastructure setup as a Curtis Cup or U.S. Amateur where there are very few places blocked off by ropes? Going to these events or say a Crump Cup give you virtually unfettered access to the golf course.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 08:42:14 PM »
Does anyone know if the USGA will have the same infrastructure setup as a Curtis Cup or U.S. Amateur where there are very few places blocked off by ropes? Going to these events or say a Crump Cup give you virtually unfettered access to the golf course.

I am quite certain that it will be roped off in the manner of professional championships, whether it’s needed or not.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Cal Seifert

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 09:47:34 PM »
Does anyone know if any online or television coverage will be aired at all?

Jon Heise

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2018, 11:07:02 PM »
I'll be aiming for Saturday PM.  Really silly to pass up a look at CGC.  Also interested to see the players!
I still like Greywalls better.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2018, 11:48:50 PM »

TV coverage listed here:  http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/championships/2018/u-s--senior-women-s-open.html#!latest
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Cal Seifert

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2018, 06:32:29 AM »

TV coverage listed here:  http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/championships/2018/u-s--senior-women-s-open.html#!latest

Thank you.  Never thought I’d be so interested in a womens senior open... ;D

JReese

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2018, 07:31:16 AM »

Will be out there all day Friday....volunteering 10-3 and hoping to walk the course before and after the shift. 

Regarding practice round access, I sent an email to the USGA ticketing address provided on the website, and they replied "General spectators will not be permitted onsite Monday July 9th through Wednesday July 11th." Kind of disappointing as I was hoping to take my two older daughters out for a couple of hours.
"Bunkers are not places of pleasure; they are for punishment and repentance." - Old Tom Morris

Matt Glore

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2018, 08:29:00 AM »
Does anyone want to play nearby on Saturday around noon?

Tim Martin

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2018, 08:34:00 AM »

Will be out there all day Friday....volunteering 10-3 and hoping to walk the course before and after the shift. 

Regarding practice round access, I sent an email to the USGA ticketing address provided on the website, and they replied "General spectators will not be permitted onsite Monday July 9th through Wednesday July 11th." Kind of disappointing as I was hoping to take my two older daughters out for a couple of hours.

Are there other USGA events where the general public are not allowed in until the tournament rounds?

John Foley

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2018, 09:44:29 AM »
Planning on attending of Friday. Got some funny looks when I told people I'm heading to Chicago for the Women's US Sr Open and I'm only there to see the course. We've got it bad!
Integrity in the moment of choice

Tim Martin

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2018, 09:51:40 AM »
Planning on attending of Friday. Got some funny looks when I told people I'm heading to Chicago for the Women's US Sr Open and I'm only there to see the course. We've got it bad!

;D

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2018, 10:41:53 AM »
Now would probably be a good time to revive this slideshow from the USGA: http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/championships/2018/u-s--senior-women-s-open/galleries/course-overview.html#expanded
Interesting to note the yardages and occasionally par on some of these holes. Does anyone know if the club has built a teebox on 1 for it to play 374? It's 450 from the first teebox usually.

It's approx. 374 yards from the start of the 1st fairway to the centre of the green, perhaps they are teeing it up from there.

Tyler

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2018, 02:56:19 PM »

Nothing could be more stupid. "We're starting a new championship. You can't come until Thursday. Don't like it? Tough."
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Drew Groeger

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2018, 08:55:41 AM »
At the volunteer training last week they mentioned that the course will not be roped off, so spectators will be able to walk the fairways along with the players, although in the handbook they mention keeping the gallery behind the ropes, so who knows? Maybe that is just referring to the greens. Also interesting, the course setup will be 6082 yards, par 73.

Michael Wolf

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2018, 08:49:26 PM »
The USWO practice rounds were closed to the public on Monday this year.

As soon as you let the public in, you're obligated to provide parking, shuttle services, first aid, disability services, security etc etc etc. Even by Wednesday the volunteers still outnumbered the spectators 2-1.

Kudos to the USGA and Fox for so much coverage of the various events. Curtis Cup at Quaker was good TV despite the blowout, and I'm sure next week will be the same.

MW

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2018, 07:21:39 PM »

It looks like a new tee box has been constructed on hole No. 1, judging from the following video;
http://www.dailyherald.com/news/20180709/senior-womens-open-in-wheaton-puts-exclusive-chicago-golf-club-in-spotlight

Tyler

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back