News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Josh Stevens

Re: Etiquette Question
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2018, 08:17:12 PM »
Its ok to piss in the bushes

mike_beene

« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2018, 11:29:14 PM »
No practice swings around first tee and certainly no waste of any turf with practice swings(not that it is ever OK).Also, the starter at TOC really gets irritated and yells if you hit two off the first. When someone yells back that it is a third shot everybody stares.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2018, 06:52:15 AM »
I don't know if this was mentioned but there is a very strict no alcohol rule with respect to driving a vehicle in Scotland.  Don't feel insulted if someone driving a vehicle declines your offer for a drink as those who I have met will not so much as have a single beer during a meal if they are going to be driving.

Matt Dawson

« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2018, 07:34:41 AM »
I don't know if this was mentioned but there is a very strict no alcohol rule with respect to driving a vehicle in Scotland.

Jerry that is partially correct. The drink-drive limit in Scotland was reduced in 2014 from 80mg to 50mg per 100ml of blood. It therefore differs from the rest of the UK which remains at 80mg.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2018, 09:03:01 AM »
I don't know if this was mentioned but there is a very strict no alcohol rule with respect to driving a vehicle in Scotland.

Jerry that is partially correct. The drink-drive limit in Scotland was reduced in 2014 from 80mg to 50mg per 100ml of blood. It therefore differs from the rest of the UK which remains at 80mg.

Matt,

Jerry does state Scotland in the quote. Theoretically most people will get away with a half pint of a session beer (3.5 to 4%) and still be okay but most people just don't take the risk.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2018, 09:55:14 AM »
...and if you’re carousing into the wee sma’ hours at The Eagle, The Dunvegan or the clubhouse of the Course you’ve just played, be very aware that you’re still liable to be over the limit the next morning.
Oh, and btw, booze is way more expensive in Scotland than the rest of the UK thanks to Wee Nippy Nicky and her ScotNat pals...
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2018, 10:52:44 AM »
Marty - with the new higher prices and driving laws are folks just staying home instead of going out for a pint? Has this hurt the pub business?

When they banned smoking in the pubs in London it was devastating for many establishments and many closed. Now non-smokers have the inside of the pubs mostly to themselves as all the smokers are gathered in a scrum outside.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Niall C

« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2018, 12:10:07 PM »
Mike

The pub business in Scotland has been in decline for many a year, ever since they started taking drink driving seriously followed by the smoking ban. Golf clubs have worse hit because people tend to drive to them more.

It's a real shame and certainly I try my best to stem the flow. Speaking of which...........

Niall

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2018, 12:11:08 PM »
Marty - with the new higher prices and driving laws are folks just staying home instead of going out for a pint? Has this hurt the pub business?

When they banned smoking in the pubs in London it was devastating for many establishments and many closed. Now non-smokers have the inside of the pubs mostly to themselves as all the smokers are gathered in a scrum outside.

Definitely, Mike. Pubs closing everywhere. Golf Clubs deserted in the evenings. People are playing their round and going straight home.
Great for road safety, hellish for club finances.
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2018, 12:17:05 PM »
Did Uber or Lyft not make its way across the pond?

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2018, 02:29:43 PM »

Kalen,

people tend not to go out drinking at golf clubs since drink driving became unacceptable socially. As for using taxis this is more usual in cities but out in the sticks they are just too expensive plus many cabbies do not want half cut punter throwing up in the back of their taxi.

As for a pub culture, up here around me it is a desert with no decent pubs to speak of. I have to travel 25 mins by car to find a decent one with good beer and a bit of atmosphere. I take a slightly different view to some of the others when it comes to pubs shutting. Where I grew up and spent my early post school years we have a really good pub/real ale scene with lots of different excellent pubs. In my village with just over 2000 people we has over a dozen pubs and bars supported by many of the locals from the surrounding area. It is a drinking culture where you went to have a chinwag and a few pints a few times a week.
People walk, take the bus or taxi or sponsor a driver. The drink driving and smoking ban had little or no effect.

Up here many of the local drink to get smashed. Once there was super cheap alcohol available from the supermarket I guess most bought there and drank it elsewhere. Dingwall with 4500 people has 4 pubs and bars none of which are any good.

Having said that, on the couple of nights I've sampled the Glaswegian nightlife with Mr. Carlton there were several decent pubs and pints on offer so I guess it might be more this area.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2018, 02:43:14 PM »
Jon,

So i'll take that as a no!!  ;D

Over here, I've seen groups who employ their own version of a DD.....Designated Drunk.  Its where the one guy in the group who is under the legal limit, staggers out to his car pretending to be smashed, all the while getting the attention of the coppers who are watching nearby and swoop in.  Meanwhile his buzzed buds quietly proceed to thier cars for the getaway...

P.S.  If your village peeps are getting smashed every time they go out, sounds like they need more AA centers and less bars....

Mark Pearce

« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2018, 05:12:10 PM »
Did Rich really call Niall "posh"?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2018, 05:19:37 PM »
I stopped by a sporting good store and bought two cards - a yellow and a red.  Used the yellow after an insincere "nice shot".

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2018, 05:55:38 PM »
I was chewed out at Moortown for blousing my slacks into my socks.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2018, 04:02:58 AM »
I was chewed out at Moortown for blousing my slacks into my socks.

Of course you were and rightly so. Only under your waterproofs if you must.

Kalen,

nobody is going out to get smashed they all stay at home to do that. No need for the AA either as their cars don't breakdown when parked in the drive ;)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2018, 11:20:16 AM »
Jon - in the States AA = Alcoholics Anonymous
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Thomas Dai

« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2018, 11:24:08 AM »
..... blousing my slacks into my socks.
?
Two countries separated by a common language! :)
Atb

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2018, 12:55:45 PM »
Jon - in the States AA = Alcoholics Anonymous

Mike,

here too though it also is used more often for the 'Automobile Association' which cover people for breakdowns and recovery.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back