News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

Re: The World's Dumbest Bunker?
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2019, 12:07:09 PM »
"Lastly, I think Tom D is pretty much alone in thinking placing bunkers where they offer extreme difficulty from 60 yards is a good use.  While his point about good players is valid, when considering all factors, using hazards to distinguish between par and bogey is a much better use of hazards.  Most of us wouldn't waste the construction resources to punish someone who has already missed the green by 60 yards.  The 50% chance of making bogey is plenty of self inflicted penalty and it is more likely (other than perhaps on a par 5) that it would only see use by average players, and turn a bogey into a double bogey."
At Four Streams, Mr. Smyers put bunkers 40-60 yard yards from center of green on at least 10 holes, maybe more depending on where you are in the bunker.  Probably similar number at Old Memorial. 

John Fought added a bunch of these on my course.  1/3/8/9/12/14/15

https://course.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/course/course/windsongfarmgc/holemap.htm?next=overview.htm

On par 5's they are terrific hazards.  On par 4's they add a lot of interest for me because I am hitting a long club into the green.  Scratch golfers do not notice them.  On balance I would prefer them out on par 4's.  I can create enough interest without a bunker.

Tom Birkert

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2019, 01:06:56 PM »
I'd nominate those in the rough on the 3rd at Pebble Beach. It turned an impossible shot (from heavy rough, over a bunker, to a small green with OOB right behind it) into a much easier shot where players can get decent contact, generate spin etc. Took a huge amount of strategy away.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2019, 05:17:55 PM »
I'd nominate those in the rough on the 3rd at Pebble Beach. It turned an impossible shot (from heavy rough, over a bunker, to a small green with OOB right behind it) into a much easier shot where players can get decent contact, generate spin etc. Took a huge amount of strategy away.

They also help off the tee as aiming points. Definitely a blight on a good hole.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back