News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Whitaker

Re: Criticism of Carnoustie
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2018, 11:34:08 AM »
Jerry Kluger and I played Carnoustie May 2017 with the Captain and GM of the Carnoustie Golf Club, who are both excellent players.

Could not have had a better experience. Jerry and I were "coached" around the course by these experts and we had a marvelous time. Neither of us found the course to be too difficult for an enjoyable game (even with my paltry skills) and we had an absolute blast. This was my third play at Carnoustie and I would not hesitate to go back or advise a friend to visit. I understand it is considered "Car-nasty" by the professionals, but from the member tees it is not any more difficult (overall) than any other open rota course.

The problem for tourism is that there are no ocean views from the course... and, the town is lacking. It is a shame the TV announcers kept harping on the difficulty of Carnoustie... over and over... it couldn't have done anything but scare a good number of visitors away. The Carnoustie tourism council should have worked with the broadcasters to better promote the course as a fun challenge (maybe they did and I just didn't see it). The course/city is a "hit and run" destination as they don't really promote any reason to spend a couple of days there. Shame really, as there are a number of courses close by that make for a fun two or three days. Hard for them to compete with St Andrews, though, when one can just pop up to Carnoustie for a round then return to StA for a fun evening.

The Carnoustie Golf Club (across the street from the hotel) is VERY welcoming and has an open door policy for guests. It is a great spot to soak up a bit of history as their main room has been organized as a museum of the club's accomplishments in golf, with many medals and memorabilia professionally displayed. Well worth a visit! Oh... and the drinks are priced for members, not to gouge the out-of-towners.  ;) If you visit Carnoustie please drop into the CGC... they would appreciate your support.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 11:50:52 AM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Niall C

« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2018, 11:46:35 AM »
Mike

Well said. The shortcomings of the town are well documented although it should be borne in mind that it is not Beirut or Mogadishu, it's just not a tourist town. That said, Broughty Ferry is about a ten minute drive towards Dundee and it offers enough accommodation, restaurants and pubs to make a comfortable base for playing the likes of Monifieth, Panmure, Montrose as well as of course all the Carnoustie options.

As an aside, anyone played the the Buddon course lately ?

Niall

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2018, 12:11:52 PM »
Niall,

Great call on Broughty Ferry! What a fabulous looking little town.

You have given me an idea... what about a Buda with Broughty Ferry as a base? Some combination of Monifieth, Panmure, Montrose or Buddon for the courses? It would be fabulous!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Niall C

« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2018, 12:57:35 PM »
Mike

It never occurred to me about holding a BUDA at Broughty Ferry but I think you're right you could have a great BUDA there. It would also satisfy those that would want to play some of the big names before and after like TOC, Carnoustie Championship, Forfar etc. ;D

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back