News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Re: Discuss: PGA Tour Players Are Spoiled Babies
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2018, 04:19:19 PM »
JK,
I don’t believe it is just an American thing, certainly not these days, although I suspect the trend to hold such events developed in the US and has spread globally over the decades. As to the the relationship to taxation, different countries, different regulations I guess. Jeffs comment is noted in this respect.
Atb

Jeff Schley

« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2018, 04:27:39 PM »
I know that the European Tour is NOT tax exempt.  I don't know their particulars, but I"m sure it is much more complicated since it runs its events across a myriad of countries.
There has been and I think will continue to be talking in Congress about bringing into question the tex exempt status of professional sports leagues.  The NFL is well over 10 billion annually for example, the PGA Tour I think is just 1 billion. 
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2018, 04:30:32 PM »
My point being that if you come out against any course renovations or tournaments at any club where you play or are a member you come out against charity. I mean really, is giving up your course for a month or so all that big of a sacrifice when compared to all the good the tournament brings?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2018, 04:53:47 PM »
And to take it one step further; what kind of person complains about renovations at a course they don't even play? Think about the children next time before you press send.

corey miller

« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2018, 06:10:32 PM »

Most likely many of the PGA tour players are spoiled babies but not sure one can judge based on comments about a Tournament.  If they play one weekend on bumpy against the norm greens and complain I think they are entitled.

I would be more concerned if they were "spoiled brats" on the golf course.  It seems for the most part, they understand the "unwritten rules" that some find so bothersome.

Doesn't almost every well regarded golf club in the United States have multiple "unwritten rules"? Or should these clubs, rather than self policing have a list of do's and don'ts for members and guests?

Perhaps PGA players actions away from the club are similar to Hollywood stars but they do a pretty good job in camera view.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2018, 11:57:44 AM »
Not sure where else to put this....

The USGA has spoke again from on high.  NO Compass for you!!

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-usga-says-bryson-dechambeau-214404579.html

Kevin Neary

« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2018, 12:35:46 PM »

"In the end, Bodenhamer said, it was determined that the compass had the potential to 'compromise a player's skill and judgement.'"

If using this logic, why are green reading books, produced by machines, allowable?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2018, 01:39:15 PM »
Sounds like its only cause no one else does it.  Exception 2 seems to think it would be OK if more widely done.

2. A player is not in breach of this Rule if he uses [equipment[in a traditionally accepted manner.

jeffwarne

« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2018, 01:41:38 PM »

"In the end, Bodenhamer said, it was determined that the compass had the potential to 'compromise a player's skill and judgement.'"

If using this logic, why are green reading books, produced by machines, allowable?

or thin faced oversized face caving rebounding low spin high launch titanium "woods" with extra long super light shafts that propel low spin superballs (off drivers) and high spin off wedges.
yep, super traditional.....

compasses and anchoring......and iron grooves--yep those are the real culprits behind course bastardization.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Bruce Katona

« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2018, 01:46:05 PM »
So if the player in question used a fixed point, string, a tape measure and trigonometry instead of an instrument invented back in the Renaissance; that might or might not be ok?

And you wonder why the masses laugh at golf in general and the USGA in particular.......the USGA publicist can't possibly be paid enough to spin this logic.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2018, 01:51:25 PM »
If I had to guess, Dechambeau is probably the 2nd most disliked guy on Tour after Patrick Reed.  Of course these rules are applied inconsistently....

But at least Patrick (to my knowledge) has the good sense not to criticize the USGA!!  ;D

Garland Bayley

« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2018, 04:20:47 PM »
If I had to guess, Dechambeau is probably the 2nd most disliked guy on Tour after Patrick Reed.  Of course these rules are applied inconsistently....

But at least Patrick (to my knowledge) has the good sense not to criticize the USGA!!  ;D

You don't have to guess, just Google. Dechambeau doesn't even make the top 6. And, Patrick Reed is not the most disliked. I thought it was pretty common knowledge that Bubba is.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jim Hoak

« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2018, 09:09:30 PM »
It is asked why green reading books are allowed if this equipment isn't.  They shouldn't be and they won't be for much longer.  Green reading is a skill for each player to master individually.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 09:11:21 PM by Jim Hoak »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back