News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Brown

Bandon Dunes Changes
« on: June 20, 2018, 01:17:16 PM »
I like all of these:

https://www.bandondunesgolf.com/blog/changes-bandon-dunes-interview-david-mclay-kidd

Especially the mounding on 15.  That hole was all or nothing. 

But I suspect there are some differing views?

Matthew Essig

Re: Bandon Dunes Changes
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 05:39:18 PM »
I agree with all these changes 100%.

I find it interesting that all the changes made the course easier. I can think of a couple holes that could be made tougher to keep some of the difficulty balance.

What's funny is 11, 15, and 17 were some of my least favorite holes on the course, and they addressed the exact problems I picked up on after playing the course a few times the last few years!

Now if they could just blow up and do something different with 7...
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Matthew Prince

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 05:40:43 PM »
I applaud all of these, particularly the change to 17, which has always been a very awkward tee shot without a clear target line. I thought in reading the description of the changes at 11 he meant they were extending the fairway to the left (so you could sort of carry the first bunker and land in fairway) but from the image it doesn't look like that is the case. I don't know if simply filling in the middle bunker is enough to entice a drive down the left side ... still seems the play is going to be to the right side of the fairway.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 06:38:01 PM »
Not a fan of any of the changes, and that is after watching the impact on play since they were made over the winter.

11 -  removed some of the risk reward nature of a drive down the left, however they added large clumps of beach grass off the left side of the fairway.  Never had a problem finding a ball in that bunker.  Now its an issue.  There was a reason this 350 yarder was the number 2 handicap, and allowing for a layup on the left takes away a lot of its bite.

15 - the bumps on the left saved more balls than they hurt.  The current version seems to have more balls tracking long of the green or down to 16 tee than before.  Add in the strong right to left breeze and it gets worse.

17 - the play was always right of the bunkers that were removed, as you want a straight on angle into the green.  Anyone going left should be hitting it far enough to get over all of the bunkers anyway.  This one seems like unnecessary softening, especially so since the course will be hosting a significant tournament soon.

As for 7, I'd like to hear what the issues are with a 370 yard par 4 with a 90 yard wide fairway.  Its a great crosswind hole where you can help yourself out by setting up an angle that maximizes the green you have to work with and brings the backstops into play.

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

William_G

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 07:57:19 PM »
I'm with Sven

these changes are interesting at best and not really improvements, not sure if the new GM and ne Golf Director had any say????

11 has always been fine as it was, ne reason for change

15 the humps were short of the green and help kick the balls toward the green, now they go towards 16 tee and the ocean

17 the bunkers that apparently were removed, were not there originally, they were added about ten years ago to narrow the LZ for the drive and increase difficulty, now easier

7 is a great 2nd shot hole
It's all about the golf!

James Brown

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 09:01:59 PM »
I’ve only played Bandon in the summer prevailing wind. 

Of the three changes, the one at 11 seems the most debatable, but never having played 11 downwind, it’s hard to imagine the flip wedge shot from the right side. 

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 11:41:16 PM »
I’ve only played Bandon in the summer prevailing wind. 

Of the three changes, the one at 11 seems the most debatable, but never having played 11 downwind, it’s hard to imagine the flip wedge shot from the right side.

If you could hit it far enough to get to a flip wedge while downwind, you didn't need to hit it to the right.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Kyle Harris

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 08:54:22 AM »
I agree with all these changes 100%.

I find it interesting that all the changes made the course easier. I can think of a couple holes that could be made tougher to keep some of the difficulty balance.

What's funny is 11, 15, and 17 were some of my least favorite holes on the course, and they addressed the exact problems I picked up on after playing the course a few times the last few years!

Now if they could just blow up and do something different with 7...

For the good of the game I can't imagine how you've managed to keep your genius so restrained.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back