News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

MCirba

My wife thinks we're a bunch of whiners
« on: June 17, 2018, 11:19:55 AM »
Yesterday evening I was bemoaning the USGA setup of Shinnecock to my wife Jennifer.
She looked at me like I had two heads, and said;

Hey, sometimes conditions are tough, they should suck it up.   Isn't it you who always complains about these soft, over-watered conditions that yield birdie-fests week after week?   Isn't it you who says "brown is beautiful", and loves to see a shiny golf course where the glow off the grass is simultaneously compelling and frightening?  If you can't fly the ball into the middle of the green and get it to stop then maybe they should have to think on each hole where the best place to miss it is.   If they can't hit the fairway maybe they should club down.   
Oh My God...they have to go out there and actually think and re-think their strategies without their electronic devices?  Heavens forbid!

This is the National Championship on sandy soil that drains quickly and where the wind is unpredictable.   Everyone is facing the same golf course.   They are being paid millions of dollars for the privilege.   Shoot a lower score and you win!

And oh...aren't you the one who tells me how much fun Cobb's Creek is in the late fall when the grass stops growing and sometimes if you get in the wrong position the ball comes back to your feet?

Why are you depriving those pros of the same joy?
  ;D
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 11:28:21 AM by MCirba »
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Adam Clayman

Re: My wife thinks we're a bunch of whiners
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 11:31:51 AM »
I agree with her. Game minders! Extrapolated to the Nth degree from Behr's era, due to social media and a propensity for a type of Mob Rule.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

ward peyronnin

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 11:36:10 AM »
I second and raise her call three moans
See my post on Dean's thread
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Kyle Harris

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 12:52:15 PM »
DJ played his worst golf during the benign part of the round. JR kept it together and worked on the range after.

Just win.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

William_G

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 12:53:11 PM »
well Mike, we know who wears the pants in your family, LOL

also yesterday was not a flighted event with the AM Handicap Flight and the PM Championship Flight, that was the real problem

first world problems for sure
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 12:54:47 PM by William_G »
It's all about the golf!

Bill Gayne

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 03:18:14 PM »
well Mike, we know who wears the pants in your family, LOL

also yesterday was not a flighted event with the AM Handicap Flight and the PM Championship Flight, that was the real problem

first world problems for sure

+1. Mike what do you think?

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 04:25:01 PM »
Yesterday evening I was bemoaning the USGA setup of Shinnecock to my wife Jennifer.
She looked at me like I had two heads, and said;

Hey, sometimes conditions are tough, they should suck it up.   Isn't it you who always complains about these soft, over-watered conditions that yield birdie-fests week after week?   Isn't it you who says "brown is beautiful", and loves to see a shiny golf course where the glow off the grass is simultaneously compelling and frightening?  If you can't fly the ball into the middle of the green and get it to stop then maybe they should have to think on each hole where the best place to miss it is.   If they can't hit the fairway maybe they should club down.   
Oh My God...they have to go out there and actually think and re-think their strategies without their electronic devices?  Heavens forbid!

No question she is 100% right

This is the National Championship on sandy soil that drains quickly and where the wind is unpredictable.   Everyone is facing the same golf course.   They are being paid millions of dollars for the privilege.   Shoot a lower score and you win!

And oh...aren't you the one who tells me how much fun Cobb's Creek is in the late fall when the grass stops growing and sometimes if you get in the wrong position the ball comes back to your feet?

Why are you depriving those pros of the same joy?
  ;D
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Ken Moum

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 06:06:15 PM »
Tell Jennifer that my wife and I think she's a genius.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 06:16:42 PM »
I guess your wife never met GC7?

archie_struthers

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 08:28:28 PM »
 8)

Right on Mrs Cirba.     Damn whiners

Lou_Duran

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 03:58:05 PM »
Sometimes one needs to step back from the group think for a clearer view.  I have yet to hear a complaint from the golfers I've come in contact during this week about the course setup at Shinny.  Most seem to appreciate that the pros encountered similar, everyday problems (getting the ball to stop near the hole).

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back