News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Swanson

"...you change some of the greens"   That's a disappointing perspective from a 2-time champion and fellow Madisonian.

Mike_Young

Re: Andy North - "You don't come back and play here anymore until...
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 09:30:21 PM »
That's stupid.  Cars and tires got better and better and yet the Daytona 500 didn't pour oil and ice in the turns...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 10:52:06 PM »
Must have missed that. Muted the TV after I reached my drivellimit.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 01:56:43 AM »
Its his opinion which he has a right to but I certainly would not agree with it. The course could do with a little more width though.

Greg Chambers

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 03:47:53 AM »
When was the last time anybody gave a shit about what Andy North had to say?
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 04:07:33 AM »

8:47:53 ;D

Mark Pearce

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 04:16:12 AM »
How about "not coming back here anymore" until an East Coast crowd can behave even remotely like a golf crowd?  As grating as the course set up is, the racket coming from the crowd over the TV (and I can only assume it's worse actually there) is embarrassing.  Since when did we accept this behaviour?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tim Martin

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 06:36:11 AM »

Andy North won two U.S. Open’s in tough conditions. I don’t agree with his stance on this but he certainly has a right to weigh in.

Dean Stokes

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 08:21:00 AM »
How about "not coming back here anymore" until an East Coast crowd can behave even remotely like a golf crowd?  As grating as the course set up is, the racket coming from the crowd over the TV (and I can only assume it's worse actually there) is embarrassing.  Since when did we accept this behaviour?
ditto. At The Ryder Cup.....its the norm even though it’s still brutal. At a National Open strokeplay event to be cheering golfers balls off the greens and abusing foreign players is quite unacceptable. I’m surprised the USGA are letting this go to be honest.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

jeffwarne

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 08:59:45 AM »

Spot on Mark
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sean_A

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2018, 02:23:32 PM »

Andy North won two U.S. Open’s in tough conditions. I don’t agree with his stance on this but he certainly has a right to weigh in.

+1

Its one thing to disagree with a rule...and there are plenty of golf rules which are disagreeable.  Its quite another thing to insist the ruling was incorrect when even a guy like myself can clearly see that the ruling was spot on.  I don't pretend to understand why there is a difference between 1.2 and 14.5 in this case, but then the rules of golf are a black art. This is a tough crowd.  Crack a beer, sit back, live and let live.  At the end of the day...none of this matters.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

jeffwarne

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2018, 07:10:56 PM »
"...you change some of the greens"   That's a disappointing perspective from a 2-time champion and fellow Madisonian.

Takeaways such as North's'are what worries me most about over managed setups.
And yes hes earned the right to be heard and was one of my favorite players growing up.
Just seems like the wrong takeaway.
Shinnecock's DESIGN was not the problem.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Niall C

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2018, 06:30:31 AM »
Jeff

Was there actually a problem ?

I confess the only coverage I saw was the last dozen holes or so of the leaders on the final day, however I saw guys mostly hitting fairways, sometimes with irons, some great approaches and some not so great where there was a premium for being on the right part of the green.

Those that missed the fairway had to mostly chop out or try and play a run on shot which is surely better than “bomb and gouge”.

I dare say the earlier days were perhaps harder but that’s just the conditions. Surely golf, if anything should be about learning to accept the conditions and play it as it lies. Apologies if that sounds like a rant.

Niall 

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2018, 09:25:25 AM »

Agreed. Made my respect for ANGC grew even more. Why did Fox have such strong microphones in the first place, picking up every grunt and fart from the players? And was it me or did if seem like they implemented a delay on Sunday - my sound kept cutting in and out after almost every tee shot. I assume they silenced the crude talk.

I blame the Phoenix Open

Adam Clayman

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2018, 10:01:32 AM »
The greens did show a certain lack of universal recovery opportunities. A potential flaw, only identifiable at the ridiculous speeds seen on Saturday. Considering the east coast bias, I doubt anyone, other than the pros, whose ever been there, would be objective enough to opine credibly.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Michael George

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2018, 10:59:29 AM »
If Andy North is advocating changing the greens at Shinnecock Hills, he deserves every bit of criticism.  Let's change one of the great courses in the world so that the pros can play it once every 10-15 years. 

However, if Andy North is saying that the USGA has to harden the greens to such an extent to make it competitive for the pro golfer and the winds on Long Island create unplayable conditions at those speeds, he may be right. 

However, the answer is not changing golf courses.

The USGA is also responsible for equipment limits.  The answer is pulling back the equipment (both clubs and golf ball).  The distances and sweet spots on clubs these days are a real problem that the USGA doesn't seem interested in fixing beyond what it has already done...... and the dispersion (sweet spots) on modern clubs is not discussed enough. 
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 11:01:08 AM by Michael George »
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back