News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Wiggett

Re: The Highlands
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2018, 01:07:01 PM »
I would leave your itinerary as it is for the variety. I would not put a second round at RD ahead of playing Golspie and Brora once. As for Skibo I cannot say though doubt I would put it ahead of Brora or Golspie. I think you are right to get off the cooperate golf bandwagon and experience some traditional Scottish golf.

Dave McCollum

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2018, 03:57:17 PM »
All of the suggestions are grand.  The one about the Culloden Battlefield reminds me of a wildly OT story.  Long before I became a golfer, we were in the Highlands on a big budget photo shoot.  Most of our locations were around Fort William—Glen Coe, Mallig, Rannoch Moor, Ben Nevis, and so on.  The working crew stayed at some old heap hotel in Fort William. I put the clients, cast, and agency bigwigs up at Inverlochy Castle, even decades ago about as posh a Highlands outpost around.  The shoot was fine but a highlight reel of springtime west coast weather:  cold, wind, fog, rain, snow, frost, sun, etc. changing constantly.  We had fun but with the schedule changes, weather, and logistic challenges, it made for long days and little sleep.  By the end, the crew was completely fed up hearing about the food and accommodations from the castle group.  We all were scheduled to drive to Inverness for a wrap party and dispersal to various parts of world.  At the last minute, I switched everyone from an Inverness hotel to a stately manner house run by its owner (laird type).  May have been the Culloden House, but all I remember is that it was big enough for all, posh enough for the purpose (rewarding the hard working crew), and the owner’s challenge to break a BBC crew’s record of drinking four bottles of 80 year old whisky.  We were too tired to do much except eat well, play some poker in the library, drink a bit, and sleep the sleep of the dead.  Not a sniff at the record. 

The next day all we had to do was drive our prop photo jeeps somewhere and fly home or to the next gig.  Over breakfast, I vaguely mentioned that there was some old battlefield nearby and thought I’d have a look on my way out of town.  A few of the crew, a Hispanic guy from LA, a Jewish guy from NYC, and maybe another from wherever, said they wanted to tag along.  Outside was totally shrouded in fog.  We climbed in our battered, mud-splattered Land Rover and Land Cruiser and wandered around in the fog looking for the battle site.  Basically, no maps, tourist guides, or anything resembling knowledge about what we were looking for or why.  About to give up and move on, we heard the bagpipes and followed them to a foggy ridge where a small group of 50-75 Scots were gathered.  Totally clueless, we arrived on the morning of April 16th.  We joined this spooky looking bunch, dressed in their traditional best, and listened to Gaelic speeches, Burns poetry, dramatic  oratory, and some impromptu songs for about an hour, gradually realizing they were there celebrating the anniversary of the 1746 Battle of Culloden, Bonny Prince Charley, and the last gasp of Scottish independence.  Eventually, we were offered wee drams and chatted with our hosts.  I have no idea what they thought of us, but seemed impressed that we had come so far for this solemn occasion and couldn’t have been more welcoming.   First time I ever contemplated my Scottish ancestry, yet, what an initiation!  No doubt Roberto from LA felt the same.   Truly, a Seamus MacDuff moment. 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:47:49 PM by Dave McCollum »

Dave McCollum

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2018, 04:49:23 PM »
Another try.
Another try:

All of the suggestions are grand.  The one about the Culloden Battlefield reminds me of a wildly OT story.  Long before I became a golfer, we were in the Highlands on a big budget photo shoot.  Most of our locations were around Fort William—Glen Coe, Mallig, Rannoch Moor, Ben Nevis, and so on.  The working crew stayed at some old heap hotel in Fort William. I put the clients, cast, and agency bigwigs up at Inverlochy Castle, even decades ago about as posh a Highlands outpost around.  The shoot was fine but a highlight reel of springtime west coast weather:  cold, wind, fog, rain, snow, frost, sun, etc. changing constantly.  We had fun but with the schedule changes, weather, and logistic challenges, it made for long days and little sleep.  By the end, the crew was completely fed up hearing about the food and accommodations from the castle group.  We all were scheduled to drive to Inverness for a wrap party and dispersal to various parts of world.  At the last minute, I switched everyone from an Inverness hotel to a stately manner house run by its owner (laird type).  May have been the Culloden House, but all I remember is that it was big enough for all, posh enough for the purpose (rewarding the hard working crew), and the owner’s challenge to break a BBC crew’s record of drinking four bottles of 80 year old whisky.  We were too tired to do much except eat well, play some poker in the library, drink a bit, and sleep the sleep of the dead.  Not a sniff at the record. 

The next day all we had to do was drive our prop photo jeeps somewhere and fly home or to the next gig.  Over breakfast, I vaguely mentioned that there was some old battlefield nearby and thought I’d have a look on my way out of town.  A few of the crew, a Hispanic guy from LA, a Jewish guy from NYC, and maybe another from wherever, said they wanted to tag along.  Outside was totally shrouded in fog.  We climbed in our battered, mud-splattered Land Rover and Land Cruiser and wandered around in the fog looking for the battle site.  Basically, no maps, tourist guides, or anything resembling knowledge about what we were looking for or why.  About to give up and move on, we heard the bagpipes and followed them to a foggy ridge where a small group of 50-75 Scots were gathered.  Totally clueless, we arrived on the morning of April 16th.  We joined this spooky looking bunch, dressed in their traditional best, and listened to Gaelic speeches, Burns poetry, dramatic  oratory, and some impromptu songs for about an hour, gradually realizing they were there celebrating the anniversary of the 1746 Battle of Culloden, Bonny Prince Charley, and the last gasp of Scottish independence.  Eventually, we were offered wee drams and chatted with our hosts.  I have no idea what they thought of us, but seemed impressed that we had come so far for this solemn occasion and couldn’t have been more welcoming.   First time I ever contemplated my Scottish ancestry, yet, what an initiation!  No doubt Roberto from LA felt the same.   Truly, a Seamus MacDuff moment.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:52:36 PM by Dave McCollum »

Dave McCollum

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2018, 04:53:06 PM »
Never mind.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2018, 05:10:26 PM »

The nexut day all we had to do was drive our prop photo jeeps somewhere and fly home or to the next gig.  Over breakfast, I vaguely mentioned that there was some old battlefield nearby and thought I’d have a look on my way out of town.  A few of the crew, a Hispanic guy from LA, a Jewish guy from NYC, and maybe another from wherever, said they wanted to tag along.  Outside was totally shrouded in fog.  We climbed in our battered, mud-splattered Land Rover and Land Cruiser and wandered around in the fog looking for the battle site.  Basically, no maps, tourist guides, or anything resembling knowledge about what we were looking for or why.  About to give up and move on, we heard the bagpipes and followed them to a foggy ridge where a small group of 50-75 Scots were gathered.  Totally clueless, we arrived on the morning of April 16th.  We joined this spooky looking bunch, dressed in their traditional best, and listened to Gaelic speeches, Burns poetry, dramatic  oratory, and some impromptu songs for about an hour, gradually realizing they were there celebrating the anniversary of the 1746 Battle of Culloden, Bonny Prince Charley, and the last gasp of Scottish independence.  Eventually, we were offered wee drams and chatted with our hosts.  I have no idea what they thought of us, but seemed impressed that we had come so far for this solemn occasion and couldn’t have been more welcoming.   First time I ever contemplated my Scottish ancestry, yet, what an initiation!  No doubt Roberto from LA felt the same.   Truly, a Seamus MacDuff moment. 
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2018, 05:49:15 PM »
Good, except “Bonnie Prince Charlie”. Always.
 ;)
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2018, 01:30:52 AM »

Dave,

the 1745 Jacobite uprising was absolutely nothing to do with Scottish independence but rather about trying to restore the house of Stuart to the UK throne. They got as far a Derby and might have well succeeded had they have gone on to London. But after squabbling amongst themselves they turned back to Scotland and the rest is history.

Today, Culloden has a very slick visitor centre worth a visit as is nearby Fort George.

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2018, 02:15:16 PM »
I'm hijacking this older thread as I have a similar concern as the OP.

I'll be in the Highlands for the first time during the first week of September. My three other guys are not much interested in architecture, and want to play the big names, but they trust me to fill in the blanks. We're flying in and out of Glasgow, and this is what our full schedule will likely be:

Sunday: Gleneagles King's
Monday: Royal Dornoch
Tuesday: Brora & Golspie
Wednesday: Castle Stuart
Thursday: Western Gailes & Prestwick
Friday: Turnberry

It's a little bit of driving, but broken up nicely. And it's a nice change from our last Scotland trip, which covered East Lothian, Fife, and the Aberdeen area.

One thing I'm nervous about is steering the group toward Golspie on Tuesday, as opposed to playing Royal Dornoch again. I can sell them on it, but I'd hate for them to be let down. What do you think? We also have a chance to play Carnegie Club on Tuesday, but something about all the exclusivity rubs me the wrong way for this trip. Would we be crazy to pass that up?

I know there's no right answer, but I always enjoy hearing people's thoughts.

Mark

I take it Golspie and Brora would be given up for Carnegie?  If so, I am not sure thats a good trade.  If its a straight up Golspie for Carnegie then its a no-brainer.  Whatever is decided, play Brora.

I might suggest you take Dornoch x2 (if you can get an early tee time to foster getting on the road) instead of Castle Stuart unless CS is a must see.  No question its a fabulous course and one of the very best in GB&I, but Dornoch may be more fun the 2nd go. 

I would also seriously consider dropping Western Gailes in favour of Prestwick x2.  Prestwick has so much more character than WG that I am sure a second go would be appreciated. Plus, its very easy to stick around  8)

Ciao

Thank you, Sean. I took some of your advice about RD. Here's what I'm locking in right now:

MON: Royal Dornoch
TUE: Brora & Royal Dornoch
WED: Castle Stuart
THU: Troon
FRI: Prestwick & Turnberry
South Jersey to Brooklyn. @marrrkfedeli

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2018, 10:52:19 PM »
I do have one more question. Would I be crazy to pass up Gleneagles Kings for Nairn? I don't want to get into all the backstory, but for our first day there we have some logistical issues where those are our only two choices, and Nairn is technically a fair bit more convenient. 

Sean_A

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2018, 04:25:14 AM »
Mark

If its that much more convenient, play Nairn.  Why create added hassles, especially on the first day?  Besides, playing Nairn is no great hardship :D  Its a fine course with a handful of excellent holes. 

Good luck.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2018, 04:35:02 AM »
Hey Mark,

Go for the Nairn option if it makes logical sense. You won’t be disappointed.

All the rest looks great.

Although if I were to offer you one piece of change advice, it’s to spend an entire day at a great club: You should have few better experiences in golf than playing 36 at Prestwick with the lunch and Kümmel in between...

Sean_A

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2018, 05:06:10 AM »
All the rest looks great.

Although if I were to offer you one piece of change advice, it’s to spend an entire day at a great club: You should have few better experiences in golf than playing 36 at Prestwick with the lunch and Kümmel in between...

+1

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Niall C

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2018, 11:21:14 AM »
Mark

Totally agree with Sean and Ally’s comments regarding staying at one club for the day. I note you have Troon down for one day and you can certainly have a good lunch there in the dining room and lounge overlooking the 18th green. The club have also made a good job of showing off the history of the place in terms of display cabinets etc.

The course itself is also getting a good bit more love than it used to get and I think folk are beginning to appreciate you don’t need large dunes and panoramic views to make a course, although Troon isn’t exactly short of either. If you have signed up for the day ticket you probably have the Portland course down for the second round. It’s a MacKenzie course with some good golf although very much second fiddle to the championship course.

Turnberry also offers the two course option, and I have heard nothing but praise for the work on both courses but the cost of the green fees are eye watering, which is not say the other courses mentioned are cheap. The clubhouse facilities are very comfortable as you would imagine but not quite a clubby vibe perhaps ?

On another note re the Nairn or Gleneagles decision, that is like comparing apples to oranges but both offer terrific golf and I’d be inclined to go with the one that is more convenient. However I’d point out that there are a number of very worthwhile courses between Auchterarder and Nairn so wonder why the choice comes down to those two ?

Niall

James Reader

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2018, 01:22:57 PM »
If you wanted to experience something other than links, you could do a lot worse an early or late round at Boat of Garten on the day you play Castle Stuart.  I played there for the first time a couple of months ago - great fun and just a wonderful place to be.

David McIntosh

« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2018, 10:31:49 AM »
I do have one more question. Would I be crazy to pass up Gleneagles Kings for Nairn? I don't want to get into all the backstory, but for our first day there we have some logistical issues where those are our only two choices, and Nairn is technically a fair bit more convenient.

Mark,

Not at all.

I was pleasantly surprised at how good Nairn was when I played it earlier this year. It doesn’t always get as much credit on here as it should. On the other hand, I’ve always been a bit underwhelmed by the Kings course.

All things being equal, I’d much rather play Nairn. Throw in that it’s more convenient and I’d say it’s the logical choice for you.

Niall C

« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2018, 11:38:52 AM »
David

Agreed on both accounts although it has been quite a number of years since I played the Kings course. Back when I did play the Gleneagles courses, I preferred the Queens.

Niall

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2018, 01:49:42 AM »

I am also of the same opinion as David and Niall,

Nairn is a cracking course which is very underrated. It may not be in a spectacular dune-scape nor have much in the way of quirk but it is a very, very good course with a good routing, an excellent rhythm, lots excellent holes and no poor ones. On top of this it offers the full spectrum of challenges and is certainly the best links golf experience in the Highlands except in the eye candy stakes.

The Kings I also really like but it has suffered a little bit from being dumbed down by the maintenance in the last few decades which has knocked too many of the rough edges off it and made it look a little twee. It is an excellent run of holes from the 3rd through to the 7th and again from the 12th through the 17th. The only let down for me was the 18th which always felt like a bit to easy and would have been better as a ball busting par 4 rather than a drive and a flick par 5 but then the land does not allow for this with the current routing.

Good call an the Queens Niall and the short course is also nice to play. I would add that I played the new course there a couple of years back and was pleasantly surprised. It played much better than it looks though the finishing 5 holes were a bit brutal.

David_Tepper

« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2018, 10:26:13 AM »
Speaking of Nairn:
https://www.linksmagazine.com/nairn/
The course has hosted the British Amateur, the Walker Cup and the Curtis Cup. That is a pretty strong endorsement. ;)

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2018, 01:53:10 PM »
I am part of the Golspie fan club - it has the best group of par 3s I have played in Scotland - I must admit that my exposure has been limited but they are really good.  It also has a really good variety of short and long holes and is truly special with the variety of hole types - links, heathland, parkland.  There is no question that Royal Dornoch is exceptional but it has its drawbacks as well, i.e. when I have played it you hit the same club on 2 of the par 3s as well as another on the other 2. 

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2018, 04:36:51 PM »
Play RD twice, enjoy, don't run around
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2018, 04:53:08 PM »
Cary: RD, Golspie and Brora are nearby each other.

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2018, 08:12:08 PM »
Thanks so much for all the advice, everyone. This is one of the reasons this site is so great. I've planned a couple Scotland trips now, and read all the relevant threads, but it's still great to see so many people chime in with so much fresh info.

I'm particularly happy to see the support for Nairn. My sense was that it wasn't terribly loved on here. I'm feeling a lot better about it now.

As far as spending more time at one club for the day, we do have that option at Royal Dornoch or Troon. And there's still room to throw in a round at Golspie. The other guys in my group barely wanted any 36 hole days, and we do want some time to explore some of the non-golf attractions, so it was hard locking in much more than I did. Also, very few convenient tee times left at this point, so I don't have a ton of flexibility. No matter, we will definitely be back many more times.

I do worry I'll regret not playing Prestwick more than once, like I regret not playing North Berwick or Cruden Bay more than once on my last trip. But the tremendous memories of my single round on both are still crystal clear. No regrets.

Thanks again for providing your feedback on what might be the millionth Scottish golf trip advice thread. While numerous, I feel like these types threads are one of the best ways to keep the site up-to-date (especially the ones that talk about less-traveled regions).

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back