News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Duncan Cheslett

Beavers
« on: June 08, 2018, 01:29:55 PM »
Beavers are native to the UK, but were hunted to extinction some 400 years ago. They are being reintroduced in many parts of Europe, because of their positive impact on the environment.

https://www.wildlifetrusts.org/wildlife-and-wild-places/saving-species/beavers

Golf courses with rivers are prone to flooding. Beavers could conceivably be part of the solution to this. Do any of our US friends have any experience of beaver activity on or around golf courses?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 01:34:46 PM by Duncan Cheslett »

Dave McCollum

Re: Beavers
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 03:11:40 PM »
Yes, we have experience.  We consider them pests.  We prefer to control our water flows and tree trimming and not let the beavers have their say about where we want wetlands.  We have nothing against beavers.  They are just very hard to catch and relocate without injuring or killing them.  They can grow quite large.  I've seen some that are over 60 lbs. 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 03:45:29 PM »
I've heard anecdotes about one or two courses where a beaver dam backed up a stream that ran through the course, and presented flooding problems on the course.  In which case they are hard to deal with from a regulatory standpoint.

MCirba

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 03:47:45 PM »
Oh...nevermind.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 05:14:25 PM »
This GCA thread about beavers from fairly recently may be of relevance -

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,65657.msg1567471.html#msg1567471

Atb

Ryan Coles

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 07:37:06 PM »
Delete please

« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 02:22:51 AM by Ryan Coles »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 08:07:00 PM »
Shucks, I thought the discussion changed to skiing at Arraphoe Basin and the new slopes.

Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Eric Hammerbacher

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 08:34:22 PM »
I am not a fan...a very angry beaver just chased me off a river that I was fly-fishing the other night.  Around here rabid ones have been known to attack kayakers.  I can't imagine golfers noticing them or coming into contact with them very often.
"All it takes, in truth, for a golfer to attain his happiness is a fence rail to throw his coat on, and a target somewhere over the rise." -John Updike 1994

Greg Chambers

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 11:48:15 PM »
I had beavers on my course.  They wreaked havoc on the low lying back nine.  The creek would overtop it’s banks, due to their dams.  Just another example of golf coexisting with nature.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Ian Andrew

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 05:11:12 PM »
You'll appreciate this video taken TODAY from a Toronto course called Cedar Brae ....

https://twitter.com/CedarBraeGolf/status/1005892251501957120
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 05:14:40 PM by Ian Andrew »
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2018, 08:45:07 PM »
We had beavers at the course I play.   Built a dam on a flowing creek and had offspring.

It was really cool, but was a huge mess.  Our next door neighbor saw his property turned into a beaver pond.   A path to our 3rd green was very close to being flooded.

The head greenkeeper waited until legal beaver season and hired a trapper.  Papa beaver was 45 pounds.

We now have beavers in another area - time will tell if they enhance or destroy the land.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2018, 10:00:59 PM »
Canadian Geese were hunted close to extinction here and designated a threatened species.
Can we send you ours?
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back