News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim_Coleman

Asphalt Bunker Liners?
« on: June 11, 2018, 12:59:09 PM »
   It seems that porous asphalt bunker liners are the new norm  I played with an engineer this weekend who is skeptical.  He says porous asphalt will clog up with dirt and other stuff over time, and so will not remain porous for as long as expected.  In fact, he says, the specs for the product call for the asphalt to be vacuumed periodically to resist clogging - something that might be doable for a driveway, but not for a sand trap.  So, he says, they will have to be replaced more often than expected, and it will be more expensive because one will have to remove the asphalt.  Have enough asphalt liners been in long enough to test this hypothesis?

Anthony_Nysse

Re: Asphalt Bunker Liners?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 01:56:37 PM »
   It seems that porous asphalt bunker liners are the new norm  I played with an engineer this weekend who is skeptical.  He says porous asphalt will clog up with dirt and other stuff over time, and so will not remain porous for as long as expected.  In fact, he says, the specs for the product call for the asphalt to be vacuumed periodically to resist clogging - something that might be doable for a driveway, but not for a sand trap.  So, he says, they will have to be replaced more often than expected, and it will be more expensive because one will have to remove the asphalt.  Have enough asphalt liners been in long enough to test this hypothesis?

Its pretty popular and well liked by my peers. They done all the testing and it was actually developed by Dan at Philadelphia Cricket Club.

http://www.matrixbunker.com/photo-and-video-gallery/
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 06:59:47 AM »
   Thanks Tony.  I guess time will tell.

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 07:53:19 AM »
There has been at least one discussion here over the past year or two on the newer bunker liner systems.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 08:39:02 AM »
   It seems that porous asphalt bunker liners are the new norm

I find the choices to be very regional and dependent upon the economics of the club.

For example a Bentonite Liner is the most common choice in Southern Ontario
It's clean clay in Quebec
In Buffalo it's almost always sod.

The one thing I do know is freeze / thaw eliminates a lot of liners systems north of the border.
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 09:52:29 PM »
Gil Hanse did some redesign work 2 years ago on #14 at French Creek.   A nice new bunker was built with a porous asphalt bunker, and it's performed great.   No sand contamination, and almost no washout after a big rainstorm.   

And you'd never know it was there.

Photo - to the left of the green:

Courtesy The Bausch Collection
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 09:54:21 PM by Dan Herrmann »

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 08:57:29 AM »
It’s the same concern with any bunker system - how well will it hold up over time. What is the real life expectancy?

We’ve installed capillary concrete, billy bunker, bunker solutions, and other liners. 

They all work great at first, then it’s up to the Supt to protect them to gain the longest life.

The most important time to do this is during construction to assure no fines get into the liner. Most of the liner systems require sand to be put in right away, or to cover the liner. I think it’s a very good idea to grass any disturbance around the bunker right away and to get the sand in immediately. 

None of these new and expensive systems have been around that long so it’s hard to say what the life expectancy is, but they do work and even if half the pours get clogged they are still going to work very well.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 06:13:41 AM »
It’s the same concern with any bunker system - how well will it hold up over time. What is the real life expectancy?

We’ve installed capillary concrete, billy bunker, bunker solutions, and other liners. 

They all work great at first, then it’s up to the Supt to protect them to gain the longest life.

The most important time to do this is during construction to assure no fines get into the liner. Most of the liner systems require sand to be put in right away, or to cover the liner. I think it’s a very good idea to grass any disturbance around the bunker right away and to get the sand in immediately. 

None of these new and expensive systems have been around that long so it’s hard to say what the life expectancy is, but they do work and even if half the pours get clogged they are still going to work very well.

Perfectly spoken. Many courses that installed Sand Trapper thought it was going to be the end all, be all and now, most cant wait to pull them out. Only time tells, same with all these new grasses.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

mike_malone

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 08:55:51 AM »
 Compared to what?  The real world involves choices. Is it better than the alternatives?
AKA Mayday

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back