News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

MCirba

Re: Cobb's Creek News....
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2018, 04:35:56 PM »
Mike,

So whats your best stab at an approx timeline for putting out the RFC, permitting, etc and getting something in the ground?

Kalen

It's hard to say but a lot of groundwork has already been laid in terms of the permitting process and the master plan as well as the creek restoration plan has already been drawn up so we're well ahead of the game.

I think an optimistic scenario may be something like shovels in the ground by next fall.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 04:48:28 PM by MCirba »
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2018, 05:39:26 PM »
Touched by your previous post, Mike. Call me a romantic, but I think that your 'loving intention' will continue to be the key to bringing this to life. (That and Professor Bausch's calm, measured touch!)

MCirba

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2018, 07:10:14 PM »
Touched by your previous post, Mike. Call me a romantic, but I think that your 'loving intention' will continue to be the key to bringing this to life. (That and Professor Bausch's calm, measured touch!)

Peter,

Sentimentality and romanticism are vastly underrated.

Bill Shotzbarger

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2018, 01:22:11 AM »
It's an exciting time in Philly golf thanks to your hard work.  Best of luck with the restoration! 

With the work at Merion East this year and now Cobb's, Hugh Wilson will be an even more popular dead guy in 2019.

MCirba

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2018, 02:04:00 AM »
Bill,

Sports under Billy Penn's hat have certainly taken a turn for the better in recent months so it's only natural that we had to do the same with golf in Philly.  ;D

David Stamm

« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2018, 10:56:17 PM »
Had to mention that Joe and Mike were mentioned on Morning Drive on the Golf Channel yesterday in relation to Cobb's Creek and their efforts. Pretty cool, guys!
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

V_Halyard

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2018, 02:12:44 AM »
Mike & Joe - congratulations.
None of us can ever know what it took, and all that it took, to get here -- but we can know this:
You've laid the cornerstone.
Best to you both and to Cobb's Creek!
Peter
I second Peter's sentiments and look forward to following the progress.
Mike and Joe, Much success and congrats on your success!
Perhaps we are in the Rare Earth Age of Golf architecture!
Looking forward to seeing you in Philly at Cobb's Creek!

Vaughn
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 02:14:33 AM by V_Halyard »
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

MCirba

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2018, 09:16:26 AM »
Had to mention that Joe and Mike were mentioned on Morning Drive on the Golf Channel yesterday in relation to Cobb's Creek and their efforts. Pretty cool, guys!

Thanks, David and Vaughn.

I missed the Morning Drive segment but Matt Ginella has been a real convert to our mission once we took him for a tour of the property and he saw thr potential of the golf course and heard our idealistic intentions for the golf course and for elevating public golf in Philadelphia.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 10:17:39 AM by MCirba »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2018, 09:43:58 AM »
If you haven't played Cobb's Creek, I'm happy to be a tour guide.  Just contact me.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Chris Mavros

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2018, 11:47:12 PM »
I've been looking at the design plans and then did a search here of threads to figure out where best to discuss them, but could not find a match though that might be due to my shortcomings on the search function. 

Both routings look awesome.  Hopefully there are composite play days, as I can see the tee shot on the First being a real tough opener on the championship routing considering the topography. 

So the clubhouse will be located where the City Line range currently is?  That would be on the other side of the course from the First and Eighteenth green.  Maybe that has changed? 

Also looks like there will be lots of trees coming out in the middle of the course, opening up a lot of views. 

5 - 8 looks like a great stretch, as well as 13 - 18.  Great use of the bottom of the hill where the range currently is to the top, for multiple holes. 

Again, I'm sure this has been discussed some where but couldn't pinpoint it and I might be re-treading, but really exciting stuff here and just as cool for the guys that have been dedicated for years to make it happen. 

MCirba

« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2018, 07:34:24 AM »
Hi Chris,

Hard to believe but those proposed conceptual drawings by Gil and Jim are over half a decade old.

As you might imagine, there is a lot to determine in coming months with the only certainty being the restoration of the original routing.  Lots of moving pieces being discussed and some very ambitious goals for golf, environment, education, and the community.

We'll update as events warrant.  Stay tuned and thanks for your continuing support.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2018, 01:50:23 PM »
More ink on Cobb's Creek, this time courtesy of Joe Juliano of the Philadelphia Inquirer:

http://www2.philly.com/philly/sports/golf/cobbs-creek-golf-course-restoration-community-foundation-chris-lange-20180829.html

Doug Wright

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2018, 05:02:32 PM »
Whilst searching about in the GCA.com archives for the old threads on the Tillinghast-Burbeck BB controversy, I came across this beauty of a thread regarding Cobb's Creek. A robust 63 pages in length, it started in 2007 and continued intermittently through 2012!

Congrats to Mike Cirba and Joe Bausch for the progress made on this project!

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,31872.0.html

Twitter: @Deneuchre

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2018, 05:23:58 PM »
Joe -- I thought that was an excellent article: a clear and concise summary of the process upto this point, and a postive and upbeat preview of what's to come. More importantly, it seems like everyone (including key city officials) are completely on board and excited. And most important of all: after reading the article, I think anyone & everyone will have the same reaction I did, which is: 'With Mr. Lange et all, Cobb's Creek is in great hands -- all they need is the money".
So: when the time comes, please do remember to hit me up for a contribution.  It won't be very much, I'm afraid, but I sure will be pleased to give it.
P
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 06:21:56 PM by Peter Pallotta »

JMEvensky

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2018, 07:12:18 PM »
Same here JB--happy to contribute a few shekels to a worthy cause.

MCirba

« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2018, 03:40:33 PM »
Thanks for all of the compliments and well-wishes.

There have been many very interesting developments along the way since I started that thread almost 11 years ago that Doug Wright referenced, and I'm reminded that there were several situations, some contentious and some cooperative that took place here on GCA among the participants that set this whole thing in motion.

This also may be the first project like this in history where almost everyone involved in moving this forward all met here on the Internet, courtesy of Ran and GolfClubAtlas.   Such is the power of the medium if we use it for good, which is a lesson I learned the hard way when we lost some folks here over the years through various means, including death.  Words matter.

I remember when a bunch of us from GCA first planned and then got together at Cobb's Creek over the winter of 2007/08 to walk the original routing, and later excitedly we went to a local tavern where we were met by Ron Prichard, who played the role of the wise elder Yoda-type character.   Ron knew we were all architectural nerds who seemingly knew everything in our criticisms here on GCA and he said something like, "it's a good thing you guys are doing, but wait until you know-it-alls see how this works in the real world!"   I've thought about that a lot over the years, and of course he was and is correct.

I think if I can sum it up at this point, I'm also reminded of the words of one Hugh Wilson, who put together his thoughts a year or two after both courses at Merion were opened, saying something like, "If we had known then how little we actually knew we probably wouldn't have started this whole thing in the first place".   ;)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 03:58:46 PM by MCirba »

V_Halyard

« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2018, 05:39:21 PM »
Thanks for all of the compliments and well-wishes.

There have been many very interesting developments along the way since I started that thread almost 11 years ago that Doug Wright referenced, and I'm reminded that there were several situations, some contentious and some cooperative that took place here on GCA among the participants that set this whole thing in motion.

This also may be the first project like this in history where almost everyone involved in moving this forward all met here on the Internet, courtesy of Ran and GolfClubAtlas.   Such is the power of the medium if we use it for good, which is a lesson I learned the hard way when we lost some folks here over the years through various means, including death.  Words matter.

I remember when a bunch of us from GCA first planned and then got together at Cobb's Creek over the winter of 2007/08 to walk the original routing, and later excitedly we went to a local tavern where we were met by Ron Prichard, who played the role of the wise elder Yoda-type character.   Ron knew we were all architectural nerds who seemingly knew everything in our criticisms here on GCA and he said something like, "it's a good thing you guys are doing, but wait until you know-it-alls see how this works in the real world!"   I've thought about that a lot over the years, and of course he was and is correct.

I think if I can sum it up at this point, I'm also reminded of the words of one Hugh Wilson, who put together his thoughts a year or two after both courses at Merion were opened, saying something like, "If we had known then how little we actually knew we probably wouldn't have started this whole thing in the first place".   ;)
Mike, you know how big a fan I am of what you, Joe and your team is doing given that I have lived the reverse of Ron's statement.
"it's a good thing you guys are doing, but wait until you know-it-alls see how this works in the real world!"
Ironically, I have had the pleasure of working with Ron on a real world project with a fantastic team that prevailed through multiple volleys of friendly-fire! Never interacted with GCA prior. The results of that experience codified why I like golf architecture and good golf architecture is worth fighting for. It also turned me into a crusty GCA "nerd" and gave me a deep appreciation of your dedication and the importance of the success of the Cobb's Creek project. It expands access to good golf architecture. Well done!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 05:40:53 PM by V_Halyard »
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

MCirba

« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2018, 10:50:29 AM »
Thanks, Vaughn.
Of course, Ron meant his comment lovingly, but also pointedly pointed out how we armchair architects and couch critics often have little idea of the type of red-tape, outside influences, regulatory considerations, and compromised choices that real-world architects and planners need to deal with.

PCCraig

« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2018, 02:46:02 PM »
Nice podcast on Cobb's Creek from The Fried Egg, out today:

http://www.friedegg.co/podcasts/cobbs-creek-golf-club
H.P.S.

MCirba

« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2018, 10:07:23 PM »
Nice podcast on Cobb's Creek from The Fried Egg, out today:

http://www.friedegg.co/podcasts/cobbs-creek-golf-club

PCCraig,

Thanks...we had a lot of fun last Sunday walking Andy around the property showing him the original routing in a cold rain.  He was a trooper!

V_Halyard

« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2018, 04:11:59 PM »
I echo this. This is an inspiration to public golf efforts!

MCirba

« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2019, 12:12:32 PM »
  This past Wednesday evening in a presentation at the Historical Society of Pennsylvania, The Cobbs Creek Restoration and Community Foundation publicly announced that a long-term lease has been signed with the city of Philadelphia for the restoration of the Cobb’s Creek Golf Course. Although it is likely that a more ceremonial celebratory event will take place in the near future to commemorate this occasion, the news was very well received by the packed audience in attendance.

The group also laid out plans and a proposed timetable for next steps. Essentially, the remainder of 2019 and all of 2020 will be spent in the permitting and planning and fundraising stages. Accomplishing that, the course will undergo construction and seeding during 2021 with a planned reopening during the May or June 2022 time frame. More to come as events warrant during this very exciting time.

We are at this stage of the project due to the dedication and commitment of John Burnes and Chris Lange, leaders of the Cobbs Creek Restoration and Community Foundation.  Thanks to John, Chris, and everyone else involved and supportive over this past twelve year odyssey.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 12:51:03 PM by MCirba »

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2019, 02:46:34 PM »
Your patience and persistence is going to pay off.  Congratulations.
A nice piece of property that will require massive change, but only for the better.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Joe Bausch

« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2019, 06:27:27 PM »
Your patience and persistence is going to pay off.  Congratulations.
A nice piece of property that will require massive change, but only for the better.

Thanks for your support, Lynn.  I still remember our round at Cobb's way back whenever!

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2019, 06:05:34 AM »

We are at this stage of the project due to the dedication and commitment of John Burnes and Chris Lange, leaders of the Cobbs Creek Restoration and Community Foundation.  Thanks to John, Chris, and everyone else involved and supportive over this past twelve year odyssey.

And congrats in advance to the workers - Joe and Mike. Chris Lange obviously has the "pull" in Philly to get this done. Best to all.

PS - And can you get those cart paths removed at Walnut Lane for your next project!! :)
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back