News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pat Burke

Re: Way too many TPC courses used on PGA Tour
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2018, 12:10:10 PM »
I’d prefer they played only TPC courses so the good courses could give up the pretense of worrying about them showing up.

/\
 This

The course fees at places like Atlanta CC and Westchester were so high they impacted the purse of tournaments.  It was an easy sell to the players to not have those fees for tournaments and get a higher purse.

Real estate development on some, and licensing fees on others originally (PGA West and woodlands for examples)
Another benefit for the players is a place to practice that provides tournament level balls for practice.

I know it has changed, but originally it was TPC owned by thentour, and some that were licensees. 
Some players like Nicklaus and other "architects" were not happy that the tour would directly compete against them in developing projects

ChipRoyce

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2018, 04:50:12 PM »
Anyone pick up on the irony here as well?
We don't like the courses the PGA Tour opts to play at and wish they would play more architecturally significant tracks.
At the same time, many CGA'ers are critical of having to lengthen and modify classic courses to accommodate professional play, or worse changed at the hands of 'The Open Doctor'.

Are CGA relevant courses better off by not having the pros?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2018, 06:20:37 PM »
Chip,

Some of us believe you can design a tour owned course that is both long enough for the pros and interesting the other 51 weeks of the year for the average joe!  ;)

Andrew Buck

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2018, 12:37:16 AM »
Chip,

Some of us believe you can design a tour owned course that is both long enough for the pros and interesting the other 51 weeks of the year for the average joe!  ;)

I honestly think TPC Deere Run fits that criteria. 

It’s a really fun good public golf course that can survive on sub $100 green fees and provide a stage for the pro’s. It’s not Chicago Golf Club, but it’s a really fun, accessible golf course that elevates well beyond most TPC courses. I would like to see the tour primarily stick to TPC venues to avoid unnecessary alteration of great member courses, but also to have solid design on TPC golf courses (even if not ideal member courses).  Sawgrass, Scottsdale, Deere Run and a couple others actually have good architectural merit. 

ChipRoyce

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2018, 09:30:34 AM »
Chip,

LOL - Kalen;
Yes, I agree that new courses, designed for the pros can provide great GCA and a great test. Trinity Forest is best example so far.

john_stiles

« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2018, 10:26:14 AM »

Agree with Jim's early post,  leave the pros to play the TPCs as much as possible.  Gives the TPCs more money, and eliminates the pretense of a private club changing greens' grasses, moving greens or tees to make it more challenging.  In the end, the Tour will switch anyway, at anytime, to get a better deal. It's only natural.

Let the TPC courses be changed as the 'all chemical' golf balls are endlessly changed to go farther with higher club speeds and better driver equipment.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back