News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

Rolling Green: before and after
« on: October 29, 2021, 09:11:51 AM »
There is a current thread discussing places where too many trees have been removed from a golf course.

I have a course in my area where the amount of trees removed was just right, in my opinion.  And that is an often discussed course on this board, Rolling Green, just outside of Philadelphia.  It is a 1926 design by William Flynn.

A few years ago the Club made a bold move to cull the herd of trees.  Not a clear-cut, but hundreds were removed.  Heck, probably thousands.

The result is amazing.  If you haven't been there since the work, you might think you've arrived at a different course! Long views are now available showing great terrain (and you can now see the Philadelphia skyline!), and what might be the biggest plus of all, the conditioning of the course is off the charts now with better airflow and increased sunlight.

I first photographed RG in May of 2007 and I also was there this past May, some 14 years later.  Below are some before and after pics (each photo is clickable to a larger size). 

#2 (2007):

#2 (2021):

#4 (2007):

#4 (2021):

#6 (2007):

#6 (2021):

#7 (2007):

#7 (2021):

#8 (2007):

#8 (2021):

#9 (2007):

#9 (2021):

#10 (2007):

#10 (2021):

#12 (2007):

#12 (2021):

#13 (2007):

#13 (2021):

#14 (2007):

#14 (2021):

#15 (2007):

#15 (2021):

#17 (2007):

#17 (2021):

Amazing.

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

JJShanley

Re: Rolling Green: before and after
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 10:26:13 AM »
These photos are not showing up for me here in Scotland, but the "after" collection are here: http://myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/RollingGreen_2021/index.html

Rolling Green, of which I was all too briefly a member during the final years of my time in the United States, was an absolute delight. I look forward to seeing the course in person when I next visit Philadelphia.

For now, I must settle for cutting about East Lothian in a visor with the club logo.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 11:17:39 AM »
I have had problems seeing some of Joe's pictures on Chrome. I had to switch to Firefox.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Niall C

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2021, 11:22:14 AM »
Joe

The great thing about the tree removal is that you can now more clearly see the cart paths  ;)

Niall

mike_malone

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2021, 11:32:54 AM »
Joe

The great thing about the tree removal is that you can now more clearly see the cart paths  ;)

Niall

One thing at a time.
AKA Mayday

Joe Bausch

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2021, 12:10:19 PM »
For those with a browser not cooperating and unable to view the pics above, here is a version that should work for you:

http://www80.homepage.villanova.edu/joseph.bausch/images/albums/RollingGreen_beforeafter/

MCirba

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2021, 12:27:00 PM »
The work done ar Rolling Green is spectacular.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2021, 02:12:11 PM »
Joe

All I can say is WOW!

I am curious to hear feedback from Mayday and Wayne Morrison

Brent Carlson

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2021, 03:25:00 PM »
Is #14 as terrifying as it looks?  With tree removal adding more wind it looks absolutely diabolical.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2021, 04:06:32 PM »
Is #14 as terrifying as it looks?  With tree removal adding more wind it looks absolutely diabolical.

14 is simply superb and so much better now with the clutter removed. Curiously on round there last Friday with Cirba and Frey, the three of us all hit really good shots into the green.  But none made our birdies putts.  Ughhh. 

Terry Lavin

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2021, 04:08:00 PM »
Spectacular.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

mike_malone

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2021, 04:52:59 PM »
First of all let’s credit Brian Chapin who was the superintendent at the start of the project two years ago but now is our GM/CEO.

I was assigned the job to be the board liaison so was out there watching his work each day. It takes courage to implement what he envisioned. I can’t emphasize this enough. Most hired professionals won’t take the career risk associated with bold actions.

He used our consultants at the time Riley Johns and Keith Rhebb effectively. They deserve significant credit as well.

My final assessment is that to take enough out you need to take out too many. At the end we left two trees under pressure and I’m not sure they should stay.

The course now stands alone as a parkland course with stunning internal views of raised greens. It can hardly be compared to anywhere.

Brian also revealed our iconic structures; the clubhouse, the bridge, and the historic house. Also views of the city skyline appear now.

I’m still processing the impact of the removal but I think the biggest effect is that you see holes you will play later and begin to fear the possibilities. Some avid golf addict posted this about 14 but I forget who, sorry.

Of course, many members were sure that the course would be easier. But the impact on the turf is incredible so that concern is waning. It’s easier to get firm conditions and healthy rough. Handicaps haven’t gone down and the Forme Tour which came here in an emergency left in love with the course but with no 20 unders in sight.

I felt that we created a palette which Gil Hanse can now use to fashion the final look.

AKA Mayday

Mike Hendren

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2021, 05:01:40 PM »
While one should never judge from photographs alone, that is what the thread prompts one to do. 

I'm a little surprised by the fawning.  The course looks totally denuded to me, almost jarringly so.   The corridors look abundantly accommodative in the older photographs.  I'm not sure the "walk in the park" criterion is a valid one, but based on the photographs alone I know which park I'd rather walk in. 

Then again, I am generally a fan of mature trees provided they don't encroach on reasonable play or cause obvious conditioning issues. 

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

mike_malone

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2021, 05:44:19 PM »
Bogey,

Unfortunately you don’t get the view through the course in this before and after. The course is called Rolling Green because initially you saw the rolling green from the parking lot and the clubhouse. Then Flynn designed a course to highlight the raised greens. That perspective was hidden for 80 years.

I respect courses that don’t have our dramatic terrain using trees to frame the holes. Here the up and down is just not to be played but viewed.
AKA Mayday

Tom_Doak

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2021, 06:33:51 PM »
First of all let’s credit Brian Chapin who was the superintendent at the start of the project two years ago but now is our GM/CEO.

I was assigned the job to be the board liaison so was out there watching his work each day. It takes courage to implement what he envisioned. I can’t emphasize this enough. Most hired professionals won’t take the career risk associated with bold actions.

He used our consultants at the time Riley Johns and Keith Rhebb effectively. They deserve significant credit as well.

I felt that we created a palette which Gil Hanse can now use to fashion the final look.

Mike:

If Keith and Riley did such great work, why did the club switch consultants?  Or did they have to be the fall guys for the tree huggers?

It gives a different spin to your line about being “used effectively “.

I’m sorry to bring this up if there was some other cause for the change that can’t be mentioned, but it does seem like the last guys got a raw deal if as you say their work was very good.

mike_malone

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2021, 07:57:36 PM »
 Tom,

Can’t speak to that.  Not just because it’s not my place to but because I can’t find the proper words.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 08:07:06 PM by mike_malone »
AKA Mayday

John Emerson

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2021, 08:36:38 PM »

Mike:

If Keith and Riley did such great work, why did the club switch consultants?  Or did they have to be the fall guys for the tree huggers?

It gives a different spin to your line about being “used effectively “.

I’m sorry to bring this up if there was some other cause for the change that can’t be mentioned, but it does seem like the last guys got a raw deal if as you say their work was very good.

Glad you brought this up Tom. This was very first thought entering this thread. Keith was very proud of his and Riley’s work their only to be told to kick rocks.  IMO they are as talented as anyone and deserve credit. Idk the full story, but from what I heard they got the short end of the stick
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2021, 11:19:04 PM »
The Main Line of Philadelphia can be tough on architects.  Off the top of my head.

Merion: McDonald/Wilson, Wilson/Flynn, Maxwell, Valentine/Kittleman, Hanse, Fazio, Hanse.

Rolling Green: Flynn, Hanse, Forse/Nagle, John’s/Rhebb, Hanse

Gulph Mills: Ross, Flynn, Maxwell, Stiles, McGovern, Gordon, Jones, Hanse

St Davids: Ross, Tillinghast, Unknown, Kittleman, Silva, Prichard, Rae

Aronimink: Ross/McGovern, Tillinghast, Wilson, Fazio, Jones, Prichard, Hanse

Waynesborough: Fazio, Kittleman, Hanse, Fazio, Green

When this becomes the local culture it’s easier for the membership to move on.

Everyone who worked on Rolling Green since it’s incarnation deserves credit. 

Ultimately RGGC is incredibly true to William Flynn’s original design, probably more than any other Flynn design. He deserves most/all of the credit, the current team is doing the equivalent of knee surgery to bring a great athlete back to the field.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

MCirba

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2021, 09:25:50 AM »
Mike Trenham,

Good, insightful post but what's that "Macdonald/Wilson" crap??

;D
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back