News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric LeFante

Colonial CC
« on: May 27, 2018, 11:35:32 PM »
Did anyone else find the pros playing Colonial uninteresting to watch? Just about ever par 4 was either lay back with less than driver and then have a 9 iron or wedge into the green or bomb driver and have a half wedge into the green. This isn’t a knock on Colonial at all because it used to be a great test for the pros and today I think it would be a fantastic well rounded test for all amateurs excluding college golfers.

It’s also fascinating to me that Tiger refuses to play venues like Colonial or Harbour Town; short courses where you don’t need driver but have to shape it both ways. Seems like these courses should fit his game today perfectly.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 11:38:46 PM by Eric LeFante »

mike_beene

Re: Colonial CC
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 11:45:35 PM »
When it gets that hot the ball really flies and that exaggerates the problem. Still, the list of champions including today is impressive and includes a variety of players. Colonial is a nice course and fun club, but it is basically a flat River bottom course and I don't understand the high rankings it gets. I wish they would get the bermuda rough back from the greens. It would be a much better venue in the spring or fall.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 12:02:26 PM »
Did anyone else find the pros playing Colonial uninteresting to watch? Just about ever par 4 was either lay back with less than driver and then have a 9 iron or wedge into the green or bomb driver and have a half wedge into the green. This isn’t a knock on Colonial at all because it used to be a great test for the pros and today I think it would be a fantastic well rounded test for all amateurs excluding college golfers.

It’s also fascinating to me that Tiger refuses to play venues like Colonial or Harbour Town; short courses where you don’t need driver but have to shape it both ways. Seems like these courses should fit his game today perfectly.

I remember when we renovated the course 10 years ago and all the tees we pushed back. We added over 200 yards, moved bunkers to the inside of doglegs and felt pretty good about the course would challenge the pros. And it did, even when the wind didn't blow. Tees are back to the property edges now and the fairways are faster and firmer then every. When its gets abnormally hot and humid for May, the bentgrass does not like it, so they play softer. Mind you, C3 is a par 70, even.
Tour players hit the ball way too far now for C3 to hold up without a constant wind. Ill be interested to see what Gil does to combat any of this, or just makes it a great members course for 51 weeks of the year.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Randy Thompson

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 01:39:30 PM »
Great golf course! With most players driving more then 300 yards and hitting 190 yard nine irons, they play driver- wedge and driver- nine iron year around. Your not gonna test the pro`s with distance by adding two hundred yards. The only place left to challenge them is on the putting surfaces. This is a course that brings out the best golfer.of the week every year, isn`t that what is all about. Fort Worth Invitational???? No sponsor???? That will need to be corrected with a 7 million purse. I worked at a course with a PGA tour event and the purse was one of the highest at 350,000. How bout the 19 year old Chileano, makes two cuts since turning pro after the Masters and both are top ten finishes and he is closing in on the one million dollar mark. Wonder if he needs a caddy?

Paul Carey

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 02:12:30 PM »
Charles Schwab was announced as a multi year sponsor starting in 2019.  Dean and DeLuca bailed on their multi year agreement to sponsor this winter.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 03:02:53 PM »
Great golf course! With most players driving more then 300 yards and hitting 190 yard nine irons, they play driver- wedge and driver- nine iron year around. Your not gonna test the pro`s with distance by adding two hundred yards. The only place left to challenge them is on the putting surfaces. This is a course that brings out the best golfer.of the week every year, isn`t that what is all about. Fort Worth Invitational? ??? No sponsor? ??? That will need to be corrected with a 7 million purse. I worked at a course with a PGA tour event and the purse was one of the highest at 350,000. How bout the 19 year old Chileano, makes two cuts since turning pro after the Masters and both are top ten finishes and he is closing in on the one million dollar mark. Wonder if he needs a caddy?

200yds was all that was available. Tees are backed up to property lines.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Eric LeFante

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 04:43:33 PM »

I remember when we renovated the course 10 years ago and all the tees we pushed back. We added over 200 yards, moved bunkers to the inside of doglegs and felt pretty good about the course would challenge the pros. And it did, even when the wind didn't blow. Tees are back to the property edges now and the fairways are faster and firmer then every. When its gets abnormally hot and humid for May, the bentgrass does not like it, so they play softer. Mind you, C3 is a par 70, even.
Tour players hit the ball way too far now for C3 to hold up without a constant wind. Ill be interested to see what Gil does to combat any of this, or just makes it a great members course for 51 weeks of the year.

Thanks for the insight Tony.

It’s crazy to me that a 7,200 yard par 70 cannot test most of the clubs in a pros bag anymore. There is no more room to add tees. I think this tournament is a good example of why the pros should be playing a reduced distance golf ball. There are certainly ways to make the course tougher but none would be a good solution since it wouldn’t be addressing the real problem.

mike_beene

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 07:06:47 PM »
Isn't it interesting that par is really high 60s so you have to make birdies. It seems to still identify the best players. Testing their long irons and fairway woods off the tee so still a full examination. If they would play when the greens are more firm it would really be fun.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back