News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tal Oz

North London (Enfield) Course Suggestions
« on: May 16, 2018, 11:29:44 PM »
Hey everyone,

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, I've tried multiple searches here, but haven't found much info.

I'm finally headed over to London with the lady June 29th - July 7th and plan on bringing my sticks. Seeing as how I've never played outside of North America, I'd like to find a game or two representative of the region while I'm out there. I am staying in Enfield and will not be renting a car so an easier commute is ideal. Happy to pay for a great course and equally as happy to play a lesser known quirky course.

A lot of the recommendations I've seen are all 2+ hours via rail. Swinley Forest, Sunningdale, Woking, Walton Heath. If there are other closer suggestions I'm all ears.

Lastly, if anyone wants to join for a game, I'd love to meet a fellow GCAer on the other side of the pond.

Paul Dolton

Re: North London (Enfield) Course Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 01:30:56 AM »

Hi Tal

Many years ago I played at Porters Park which I remember being pretty good. Its near Radlett.
A bit further afield is Sandy Lodge which is good.
You have also got Moor Park not too far away.
Paul

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 01:36:29 AM »
Wellcome Tal

There is some reasonable golf nearby. Doak 3/4/5/.  Mostly clay but not as flat as many Essex tracks.

Crews Hill looks interesting. Colt heritage and its VFM Pay and play

https://www.crewshillgolfclub.com/visitors/

Trent park also
https://www.trentparkgolf.co.uk/course/golf-course-london-course-map

A little further afield

Top of the range would be The Grove (pricey even at twilight rates) and The Shire

West Essex is a very interesting course of two halves.

Mid Herts I like

Muswell Hill is a good local track and I've heard good things about the 9 holers at Highgate and Hampstead.

Theres also a course with a touch of MacKenzie not far away but memory is shot!  A, Stanmore.

https://www.top100golfcourses.com/golf-courses/britain-ireland/england/middlesex?page=1

https://www.top100golfcourses.com/golf-courses/britain-ireland/england/hertfordshire?page=3

Use google maps. Put in the clubs post code. Under that you'll find "directions" Put in the post code of where you are staying and click on the train logo and it will tell you which buses/trains to use. It's pretty accurate for times The bus service is now reliable and frequent.  Uber is an easy app to get and works very well. You can then choose between the two on the day.

Enjoy your trip. But as you say if you want great golf you need to find some friends/relatives living SW of London.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 07:23:33 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 03:39:12 AM »
Denham isn't too far. I am told it is decent and perhaps a good sub for expensive Moor Park and uber expensive The Grove.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 09:14:18 AM »
Hadley Wood GC by Alister MacKenzie is only about 5 miles west from Enfield.
Atb

Ben Attwood

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 03:08:12 PM »

I would have loved to host you at Denham but I think our schedules are similar - I'm away on my holidays too.

Hadley wood is good and some instantly recognisable Mackenzie.

Scott Warren

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 06:27:05 PM »
Also have a look at Mill Hill. It’s an Abercrombie course that is largely intact, lovely walk, some really fun holes and a good club to hang around.

But also, take it as someone who played most of his Southern England golf by train from London, the journey is part of the fun and even 2hrs to see Woking, Worpy or Walton Heath is comfortably worth it.

Hell, John Lyon did a day trip to Ayrshire From London by train, played 36 holes and was home by midnight!!

Tal Oz

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 07:18:18 PM »
I'm getting the vibe that it's worth it to do a Woking or Swinley day. I'm still amazed at how total strangers on the internet are so giving and willing to share information, thanks so much!

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 10:47:47 AM »
Tal, not sure exactly where you'll be but my aunt lives in North London, and while staying with her a few years ago, my dad and I went by train (plus a 2 minute cab ride) to play St. George's Hill and it took about 80 minutes each way. The train transfers were not onerous and it was fun riding the rails with our clubs. If you wanted to do that, that brings all the heathland gems into play, as others have indicated.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back