News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Evan_Green

One of the Most Surreal Photos I've Seen
« on: May 16, 2018, 08:18:41 PM »
This is one of the most surreal pictures I have ever seen:

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/05/see-stunning-photos-of-group-golfing-in-front-of-erupting-kilauea-volcano

These guys are either fearless or really love golf or both...

All the best to them!

Has anyone played Volcano GC?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 08:21:39 PM by Evan_Green »

John Kavanaugh

Re: One of the Most Surreal Photos I've Seen
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 08:26:41 PM »

William_G

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 09:03:47 PM »
not much else to do in that beautiful place  8)
It's all about the golf!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 03:36:54 AM »
I walked Volcano GC when I was on the Big Island in February.  At its closest the course is about half a mile from the Kilauea crater, but, importantly, above it so it would only be affected in the event of an explosive eruption.

I also drove through the area where the new activity is taking place down the hill toward the beach ... it never occurred to me that lava might just decide to start finding new ways to the surface down there!  But it makes sense - all of the Hawaiian Islands have formed over the same volcanic vent as the tectonic plates slowly shift the earth's surface to the northwest ... and the new activity is SE of Kilauea, probably right over that vent.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 07:55:28 PM »
Volcano was a design of my mentor, Arthur Jack Snyder...the newer nine, plus remodel of the original. Interestingly, the two nines have vastly different rainfalls by as much as 20 inches per year. Years ago I asked the superintendent about it and he said it was like having two separate agronomic routines and water cycles.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 10:17:27 AM by Forrest Richardson »
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Evan_Green

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 09:47:43 AM »
Volcano was a design of my mentor, Arthur Jack Snyder...the newer nice, plus remodel of the original. Interestingly, the two nices have vastly different rainfalls by as much as 20 inches per year. Years ago I asked the superintendent about it and he said it was like having two separate agronomic routines and water cycles.

Wow that is fascinating  - I can't imagine many other courses in the world could have such a variance in rainfall on two parts of the same course. I remember reading somewhere that the Big Island has most of the worlds climate zones throughout different parts which is amazing because its not that big of a place.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 01:23:50 PM »

Volcano was a design of my mentor, Arthur Jack Snyder...the newer nice, plus remodel of the original. Interestingly, the two nices have vastly different rainfalls by as much as 20 inches per year. Years ago I asked the superintendent about it and he said it was like having two separate agronomic routines and water cycles.

Wow that is fascinating  - I can't imagine many other courses in the world could have such a variance in rainfall on two parts of the same course. I remember reading somewhere that the Big Island has most of the worlds climate zones throughout different parts which is amazing because its not that big of a place.

Evan,

I believe it is 11 of either 12 or 13 climate zones. I know it does not have an artic climate zone but not sure if there is another. Pretty incredible really.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back