News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Golf in Switzerland
« on: May 06, 2018, 02:11:58 PM »
We shall be passing through Switzerland shortly on our way to and from Italy. I don't want to play golf there, but if there is a course I ought to see I should be grateful to know of it.

Jeff Schley

Re: Golf in Switzerland
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 02:27:49 PM »
Could be a much better country for golf.  I attempted to get on the Golf Club Lausanne when I was there 4 years ago, but couldn't get the logistics right for my schedule.  With the beauty in the country, would love to see more layouts.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 06:32:28 PM »
Ascona is near the Italian/Swiss border. Nothing amazing but a nice little course. It's a beautiful little town but that'd hardly makes it unique in Switzerland.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 07:14:12 PM »
There's an interesting concept at Leuk with an all-fescue course done by John Chilver-Stainer.

A fun course to play is Gerre Losone, if you're in the Ascona region.

Domaine Imperial is a Pete Dye course, haven't seen it though.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 02:45:22 AM »

Mark,

Switzerland is a bit of a GCA barren land but I would suggest going to see something you will not encounter too often, ergo one of the smaller Alpine resort courses. Any of John Chilver-Stainer's (poster on here) courses will give you some interesting architecture to contemplate.
[/size][/color]
Other than that, it depends on the route you are taking. If you are going through the Valais region then as Ulrich says Leuk is well worth a visit. Otherwise, if passing through the Gotthard then go over the pass and take the short detour to Realp where you will find what must be the hilliest course in the world.

Interlaken in Berner-oberland is worth a look if passing by as is Engadin GC near St. Moritz though this unlikely to be on your route.

The Pete Dye Imperial just outside Geneve is not bad as is Limpachtal near Solothun.

If you want a more concrete suggestion then let me know which route you are going to take.

Martin Lehmann

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 03:23:56 AM »
In the Valais region you could visit Crans-sur-Sierre. It's the venue of the European Masters, an annual stop on the European Tour. Not the best course in the world, but the vistas are fantastic. I have played Domaine Imperial years ago and liked it a lot. Very classy. On the other side of the lake, in France, you'll find Evian. That's where the only major on the Ladies Tour is played every year. Nice golf course.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 04:01:36 AM »
I was going to mention Realp too. Not great golf, though there are one or two fine holes, but a great example of how people who really want to play golf will find a way to do so wherever they live.
The only course I’ve ever seen where, as well as length and par, the boards on the tees also record elevation change. 50m of that in a 250m hole — well you know what it’s going to be like!
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2018, 05:45:15 PM »
For an experience hard to equal I'd suggest Riederalp. It's not much of a golf course, just 9 short holes, but it's the highest in Europe at 2000 metres (6000 feet) of altitude. You'll get a view of 4000 metre peaks plus a ride up by cable car, because you can't get up there by car (obviously, only a carry bag on the cable car). Also, you can catch another cable car further up to see the Aletsch glacier - it'll be a heck of a day out with some golf included.
I reckon you'll have more fun doing that than Realp, which is certainly something to behold, but not as much of a total experience.

Ulrich
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 05:49:32 PM by Ulrich Mayring »
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 02:28:35 AM »

True Ulrich,

the 4th is a 160ish yard par 4. With a right angle dogleg and an island green what is there not to like ;D Saving grace is a 4 is a very good score. For the golf you are better to try the 9 holer at Niedergesteln which is near by.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 08:01:31 PM »
I picture Mark somewhere in this poster...maybe giving a lesson?

— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Joey Chase

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 12:29:31 AM »
   Another of the high alps golfing experiences is at Verbier Golf Club, a famous ski resort town.  We had a Swiss Greenkeepers Association meeting there a few years back.  The first tee sits hundreds of feet above the clubhouse, which you get to by shuttle, and you traverse your way back and forth down the mountainside with spectacular views up the Vallee du Grand Saint Bernard towards the big peaks of Chamonix namely the Mont Blanc.  I learned quite quickly that it wasn't smart to miss fairways.  On the second hole, a par four, I missed the fairway left.  I had to mountain goat my way down to my ball 50 meters below the fairway just to get my ball back in play.  It isn't a great round of golf, but it is a fun and different way of hiking the alps. 

The alpine villages are quite charming on their own, golf aside.  Having spent several years there, my personal choices are Ascona, Lausanne and Domaine Imperial (personal favorite).  All three suffer from claustrophobia, in areas.  Unfortunately, the countries best courses suffer like much of Europe, with over watering and an obsession with green grass. I do think Ascona could be a fantastic golf course with the proper renovation, with it's spectacular location on Lake Maggiore.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 12:32:45 AM by Joey Chase »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back