News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

James Brown

Re: Peter Thomson, R.I.P.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 01:27:42 PM »
I bet there will be a nice vigil at Brora.  His spirit may reside there now. 

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 01:32:14 PM »
"I bet there will be a nice vigil at Brora.  His spirit may reside there now."

I highly recommend a visit to the Peter Thomson Room in the Brora clubhouse. It is the first room on the right at the top of the stairs.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 03:59:43 PM »
My father had the opportunity play with him many years ago - when Peter was in his 50's. A finer, classier gentlemen he never met. Sad day to have lost a great champion like Peter Thomson and Hubie - horribly underrated. How do you think Brooks Koepka or D.J. (both arrogant "tough guys") would have done with a final round death threat hanging over their heads? Hubie just kept making shots and came out on top at Southern Hills. THAT was impressive. And all that shit about Peter Thomson never having to play against the best in the world when winning The Open five times, have a look at who was in the 1965 field at Birkdale . . .   
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 04:04:22 PM by Gib Papazian »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 04:41:35 PM »
I saw him play although not for long, back in the early 1970’s. Glad I did though. Great record as a player. Not just a terrific golfer either, a lot more strings to his bow than that. R.I.P.
Atb

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D80vh-tarlk

Jeff Schley

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 05:28:06 AM »
Peter Thomson was a great golfer and champion, he never has received the credit he deserved because he didn't compete on the PGA but a couple years I believe.  If he had been playing on the PGA Tour throughout his career he would have been one of the top players for sure year on end.

Very humble gentlemen, who I read in his obit that he borrowed a set of clubs for his first open victory from a Scottish friend because he didn't think his MacGregor set would do the job.  Lone and behold it was the first of his five titles.

A real role model and glad we had him for 88 years.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Niall C

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 09:54:13 AM »
Very sad news. I once had the pleasure of meeting and indeed having lunch with him. The term an old fashioned gentleman was an apt description for this great golfer.

Niall

Thomas Dai

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 04:56:10 PM »
There are a series of quotes etc from Peter Thomson in the Feature Interview section of this website - see - http://golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/feature-interview-with-peter-thomson/
Worth reading.
Atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back