News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott_Park

Briar's Creek in Charleston, SC
« on: October 25, 2003, 07:32:50 PM »
In searching for info about this course, it was suprising to see virtually nothing about Briar's Creek despite it making a sixty something debut in Golf mag's most recent top 100 US?

Anybody played it?

It is a Rees track that opened last year and is just west of Charleston.

SP

Brad Klein

Re:Briar's Creek in Charleston, SC
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2003, 08:12:46 PM »
Golfweek had a group of 20 raters play Briars Creek in Sept. 2002. They put on a fine presentation, Rees Jones spoke, and the course was in fabulous shape. Just in case anyone thinks that such outings guarantee inflated ratings, they'd be proved wrong in this case, as the course did not subsequently make our top-100 list. It's a private club with a fairly low profile - deliberately.

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2003, 09:05:43 PM »
Brad--

You need to make it back down to Kiawah.  Pete tweeked The Ocean Course again this summer, altering a lot of the bunkering and changing the greens to Paspalum.  They came in even better than we anticipated.  Love to have you back....

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2003, 11:18:52 PM »
I played the Ocean Course two weeks ago.  The paspalum looks like it is going to be fine.  The guys I played with were complaining about the late afternoon bumpiness.  Interesting course.  I enjoyed the beauty of the place more than the architecture.  Maybe because I have played so many other Dye courses.

Mike
What is the deal with Oak Point?  The 3, 4, 17, 18th holes are not Clyde Johnston's best, yes?
The guess the 3rd is also scheduled for renovation into a par 3.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

JNC Lyon

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2003, 11:42:10 AM »
I did drive around the property and walk a few fo the holes near the clubhouse site. There isn't even a sign pointing to the course. The land is spectacular, and the eighteenth may be one of the best holes in the area.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2003, 03:24:49 PM »
Wasn't this course ranked as Best New Private by GD for 2002 and 6 in South Carolina? That's pretty good press. Other articles are mentioned in the website:
www.briarscreek.com

Seems like a perfect candidate for an article in Links Magazine.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

SteveTL

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2003, 09:04:34 PM »
Mike,

Who is doing the renovation work for you at Oak Point?  Is Clyde coming back?  What is your opinion of his work there?

Steve

David Wigler

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2003, 01:21:30 PM »
Mike,

Not to sabatoge the thread (Although that is what I am about to do) but this weekend is the epic clash between our beloved's.  I think it is the first time in 30 years that MSU is rated higher than UofM and MSU is hosting the game, so I assume they will be favored.  I suggest a bet.  If Michigan wins, a round at the Ocean course on my next visit.  If MSU wins, a round for you at Plum on your next visit.  I won't even take the points.  (You aren't coming up for the game, are you?)
And I took full blame then, and retain such now.  My utter ignorance in not trumpeting a course I have never seen remains inexcusable.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2003, 01:47:09 PM »
Mike,

Not to sabatoge the thread (Although that is what I am about to do) but this weekend is the epic clash between our beloved's.  I think it is the first time in 30 years that MSU is rated higher than UofM and MSU is hosting the game, so I assume they will be favored.  I suggest a bet.  If Michigan wins, a round at the Ocean course on my next visit.  If MSU wins, a round for you at Plum on your next visit.  I won't even take the points.  (You aren't coming up for the game, are you?)

This close to the World Cup, not a chance, but I would have loved to...  As far as the bet is concerned, you're on, plus looser buys the first of what I'm sure will be many Stroh's (ya gotta drink a beer from Michigan when winning such a bet...).

BTW, right next to the 8th tee at Turtle Point is a house that constantly flys the "Corn and Blue", er, oops, I meant Maze and Blue flag.  It takes all of my composure not to turn 90 degrees clockwise and launch a Titleist through his picture window...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2003, 01:49:07 PM by Mike Vegis @ Kiawah »

David Wigler

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2003, 01:50:40 PM »
Done.

I just IM'd you my home phone if MSU is lucky enough to score first and you want to get a quick taunt in before UofM starts handing them the beating they so richly deserve.

PS - I hope that if MSU wins somehow, we are not reading about wildfires started in East Lansing threatening Mike Devries great work at Walnut Hills this year.
And I took full blame then, and retain such now.  My utter ignorance in not trumpeting a course I have never seen remains inexcusable.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2003, 03:14:28 PM »
PS - I hope that if MSU wins somehow, we are not reading about wildfires started in East Lansing threatening Mike Devries great work at Walnut Hills this year.

We may not always win the game but we always win the post-game riot...! ;)

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2003, 11:38:13 AM »
I played Briar's Creek a couple of weeks ago during my visit to Kiawah. Mike V. was a gracious host at the Ocean Course which was wonderful.....and very difficult, particularly the last few holes into the wind.

Briar's Creek is a very exclusive club with a $100K initiation fee. There are only about 75 members, most of which are National Members. There is an airfield nearby that can accomodate private planes.

The course is simply spectacular! It has a very natural look and feel. Rees Jones appears to have "discovered" holes as opposed to creating them. He makes great use of the natural terrain and features in his design. The course looks like it has been there for twenty years instead of just two. The fairways are extremely generous which accomodates the ever present winds. The greens are large and undulated offering a variety of challenging cupping positions.

If you have the opportunity to play the course....do it! The conditions are perfect! They will probably play less than 5,000 for the entire year. If you play, make sure you have lunch...the chef is very good!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back