News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob_Waldron

Thanksgiving in Palm Springs
« on: October 15, 2003, 03:17:53 PM »
I am planning a trip to Palm Springs around Thanksgiving. I would appreciate any recommendations of courses to play....private or public.

If any other GCA'ers will be in the area, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Matt_Ward

Re:Thanksgiving in Palm Springs
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2003, 04:14:42 PM »
Rob:

Check out Shadow Ridge in Palm Desert and the Firecliff Course at Desert Willow -- also in Palm Desert. Another public course worth playing without using three credit cards to pay for the fees is Desert Dunes in Desert Hot Springs -- just west and north of Palm Springs. Another public option that's easy ont he wallet is Diamond Springs in Hemet -- about 25-30 miles west of Palm Springs and accessible by using Rte 76 which leaves Palm Desert and treks through the back roads out of the area. If you opt to play Desert Dunes be prepared to bring your best windshirt as the breeze tends to be somewhat b-r-i-s-k beyond the confines of the Coachella Valley.

There are a number of private clubs worth playing if you know the "right" people -- one to keep in mind -- The Quarry at LaQuinta. You also have combination of courses at PGA West -- most notably the Pete Dye layout which I believe is accessible to the public.

Enjoy -- it's a great time to be in the desert.

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2003, 04:25:18 PM »
Rob, if you have some flexibility, you should check out Stand-By Golf.  You call them at about 5:00p the day before you want to play, and they give you a list of tee times they have.  If one works, you get to play for a decent discount, usually about 1/3 off.

I have traveled to Palm Springs in February for the last three yeras.  Using Stand-By golf, I have played the following courses:

Landmark--North
Landmark--South
La Quinta Mountain
PGA West--Nicklaus Tournament
PGA West--Stadium
Shadow Ridge
Desert Willow--Firecliff
Desert Dunes

My favorite of all is the PGA West Stadium course, but that's because I'm a masochist.  Of the others, I preferred Shadow Ridge.  Both Landmark courses are nice, and Stand-By ALWAYS has those available.  

Firecliff was decent, but was by far the most crowded and slowest of my rounds.

JakaB

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2003, 05:28:10 PM »
Where did Bob Hope play most of his golf at Palm Springs...

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2003, 07:35:21 PM »
Rob,
I Too will be in PS for T-Day.  I often wander up the road to Beaumont to play Oak Valley and either of the new SoCal PGA courses.  Reasonbly priced and only 35-40 minutes from the NW end of the Valley.  

Interested in getting together.....drop me a note.

Dennis_Harwood

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2003, 09:32:30 PM »
Where did Bob Hope play most of his golf at Palm Springs...

Thunderbird-- His home was in the Heights area across Hwy 111 from the course--

He may have also been a member at El Dorado, but most of his golfing time was spent at Thunderbird in the Desert and Lakeside in LA--

Thunderbird is a nice members course and did host the Ryder Cup in the late 50s--

jimbob

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2003, 10:00:29 PM »
Its Diamond Valley in Hemet. It is a good idea to call
ahead and find out if the course you want to play has just been overseeded in early November. It usaullt takes two to three weeks after overseeding(opening not seed in the ground) to "groom" a course to decent playing standards.
The Mountain Course is overseeding late this year.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2003, 11:24:44 PM »
Avoid the Jack Nicklaus course at PGA West (used to be called the Resort course, now I guess the Tournament course) at all costs.  It is probably my least favorite course ever.  Picture eight giant mounds of dirt dug out of lakes, with a green sliced out of one side and a tee out of the other side.  The greens have flat bunkers maybe 20' below the green level.  You'll think you did something evil and have been sentenced to golf hell.  I got roped into paying $110 to play this dog 15 years ago when I thought it was going to be a comp round, and it has rankled ever since.  ::)

Desert Dunes is a really fun track.  Just take along some weights in case the wind gets over 60 mph, you'll them to stay anchored!  Short hitter me drove a downwind -- REALLY downwind -- 330 yd par 4!  But the holes into the wind were unplayable.

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2003, 12:02:09 AM »
I was lucky enough to play Desert Dunes on a calm day.  Not just relatively calm, but calm.  

The day before, I showed up at Shadow Ridge with the wind howling at about 25 to 30 mph.  By the time I teed off 45 minutes later, it had died completely.

My only round in Palm Springs that was ruined by wind was at Landmark a few years ago.  I recall tatooing a 4-iron about 145 yards on a par 3.

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2003, 12:06:21 AM »
Shadow Ridge

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2003, 08:22:24 AM »
Bill,
Apparently you did not play the Norman course when you were at PGA West... ;)

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2003, 11:34:10 AM »
Play the par 3 course at Cimmaron. And if you do the 18 holer notice how the double greens have been grassed between. What a pity!

Dennis_Harwood

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2003, 02:26:37 PM »
Rob-- A little more input--Although the suggestions are good, if you have not been to the area on Thanksgiving before be forewarned-- That is the start of the golf season and all the private clubs have their opening events that week--hence they are impossible to get on(I know, I will be there and its members only, no guests at my club)-- Also, even though there are 100 courses they are very crowded and the days are getting short, hence not a lot of times are available--

Either make arrangements early, or hope for last minute cancellations on a 24 hour standby service-- Your best bet, if a good the Cochella Valley course you want to play is crowded, are the Beaumont/Banning courses mentioned in the posts--about 40 mins away, but there are some good courses that are not as crowded, generally--

To Bill-- Ben is right-- The Nicklaus course is head and shoulders better than another course in the same complex-- If you didn't like Jack you will hate Greg--

Tommy-- Although Rustic is great, you should warn him that its about a 3 1/2 drive one way(if you go through LA without traffic--otherwise a 5 hours drive each way)-- Rustic is 200+ miles from downtown Palm Desert--

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2003, 11:02:46 AM »
Dennis
Thanks for the warning. Any suggestions in the Beaumont?Banning area?

Cos
I will be in touch. Let me know if you have anything arranged at the SoCal PGA courses

Doug Wright

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2003, 02:53:51 PM »
Rob,

I've had this summary in the computer awhile so glad this thread appeared and I could dust it off. Based on the recommendations of Matt Ward and others, I played the following Palm Desert area courses last spring: Desert Willow/ Firecliff Course (in Palm Desert), Desert Dunes (in Desert Hot Springs), Landmark North (in Indio) and PGA West Stadium (in La Quinta).

Desert Willow/ Firecliff Course. A Hurdzan/Fry/John Cook design, about 4 years old. Certainly one of the prettiest courses anywhere--blooming cacti-type plants everywhere along the native rough, really great to see after a winter of brown grass in Denver. Some decent medium length par 4s, a couple of very good short/driveable par 4s (6/15), and a number of good to very good greens and greensites. Clearly a lot of dirt was moved, and there is some detracting/distracting mounding, but  all in all a solid effort.

Desert Dunes is located in the nearly-always-windy northern part of the valley. This RTJ II design from around 1989 is a mixed bag. It has some really solid holes, some weak ones and one big question mark hanging over it. The question mark is--why didn't RTJ II use the natural dunes more than he did? The dunesland is not as pronounced as, say, Pacific or Bandon Dunes, but the dunes are there. For the most part they're out of play--I wonder in some cases whether they were removed or moved! The best greensite on the course is the par 4 #12, with the green nestled in the dunes; the best driving hole is the next hole, the par 5 #13, where the drive is blind over a large dune. Other good features are his use of the only large tree stands in routing the 10th and 11th holes--a neat change of pace. The par 3s are pretty lackluster, with the cape type #8 and the redan-like #14. The par 5s are bland, the bunkering is pretty bland too. Two gag-me features were the water feature next to the 16th green and the Swilcan bridge over some bunkers bisecting the 9th and 18th green. Puhleeze!

Landmark North. Schmidt/Curley design (I think). Part of a 36 hole complex that hosts the Skins Game (they use both the South and North back nines). I really liked this course a lot. Good variety, with some reachable or nearly reachable par 4s with good driving options, some excellent longer par 4s, par 5s with fairway bunkering in the second shot LZ to make you think and decent par 3s. Generally the bunkering was well done. Holes of note: I liked the stretch of holes 6-9: the par 5 6th requires three  good shots to an uphill green, followed by the drop shot par 3 7th, the short and well bunkered par 4 8th and the longish par 4 9th. I also liked the 12th through 14th stretch, with a very long par 4 followed by the nearly driveable 13th featuring a minefield of fairway bunkers and multiple options and a long par 3 14th to a fortress green. The latter is the best hole on the course IMO. I wasn't thrilled by the finish--15 is an island green par 3 that lacked the excitement/ pucker factor of PGA West Stadium's 17--more room I guess--and 16 through 18 were pretty pedestrian holes. All in all a very fine course, though, and the most scenic, with great views of the mountains and valley.

PGA West (Stadium). Saving what I hoped would be the best for last, and I wasn't disappointed. This course is a visual nightmare, Pete Dye mind-#$%^%$#  and a total treat to play if you have your head and game on straight. If not, you could be miserable, but then just throw away the card and pencil and enjoy it for what it is.

Best,  
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2003, 03:00:40 PM »
I think the SCPGA courses or Oak Valley would be a good call for you guys. The only problem is that Thanksgiving weekend is the busiest weekend of the year for golf in SoCal. Right now they are predicting 70 degree temps for that weekend which should mean that it will severe thunder storms and lighting--I can't think of a better way for Tom Fazio & Rees Jones to get finally be rid of me--getting zapped staight in the ass by the biggest bolt seen in years.

If some of you are interested, I can contact my contacts and see if there is a possiblity of a time that weekend. I'll just need to know how many.

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2003, 03:24:46 PM »
It's been years since I played it but Rams Hill in nearby Burrito Springs use to be fun and affordable.

JC

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2003, 03:33:31 PM »
JC;

Great play on words or an even better typo. It's Borrego Springs.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2003, 03:36:31 PM »
I wish I could claim it was a great play on words...  :-\

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2003, 04:13:26 PM »
Gents

Thanks for the continued input. Unfortunately it looks like two of the most highly touted courses, Desert Willow (Firecliff) and Landmark (North) will be closed for maintenance.

Tommy
I would like to look into the SCPGA courses as well as Oak Valley the weekend prior to Thanksgiving (Nov22 & 23). Cos appears to be in as well. I would love to have a celebrity such as yourself join us.

I heard that there is an all men's golf club in the Desert. Does anyone know which course it is?

Does anyone know if there are any courses that have recently opened in the desert? If so please let me know.
Any more suggestions are welcome. Thanks

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2003, 04:18:51 PM »
Rob,
The all-male inclave in the the desert is The Plantation in Indio. It's Schmidt & Curley also. I know a member, and I'll see if he is going to be out there that weekend. There is also the Hideaway which is formerly the CC of the Desert. Not sure what the story is there, but I do know they have 18 open for play.

Shoot me an email with your phone number and we can try to arrange something for that weekend.

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2003, 08:39:21 PM »
Hideaway has reopened?  Tommy do yo have any idea of what they changed and what they didn't.  I though the Dye was enjoyable enough if not somewhat tame.  

Haven't played The Palms yet?  Any comments?

Plantation is a very good golf course.....I just can't tell my wife I'm goingto play there ;)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2003, 08:40:07 PM by Cos »

Dennis_Harwood

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2003, 09:06:57 PM »
The SCPGA and Oak Valley both very good bets--

Desert Wllow courses will just be coming out of overseeding and will be very, very crowded--

Both Plantation and Palms are very private and very limited guest play(must be with a member)-- If more than a single forget Thanksgiving-- Hideaway, although just reopened, is also member only and I think they have a members event that weekend--

Although all the public access courses memtioned (PGA West, Landmark, Desert Wllow are good, unless you get real lucky, or are staying at a hotel that has a tie-in with a block of times, you better get on the phone today if you are more than a single(remember 5 hours + is a time for a round on such crowded courses, and it will get dark about 4:45 that time of year in the Valley--so from 7am to 11:30 are about the only times available that will assure you of getting in 18 holes)--

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2003, 04:59:18 AM »
The Palms, I feel is one of the better courses in the Desert. In fact, I think it represents some of the best Schmidt & Curley work I have seen to date.

Meanwhile I think the rage of the Plantation has died down somewhat--Your not alone in regard to not letting the wife know you are playing there. I think the Palms has stole a lot of they're thunder really, because its an excellent family club. At least it was set out to be that way.

I never got to see any of the CCOTD before it closed and reopened. I do have a very god memeory fo what kind of property it was on--some very small but workable sand dunes. That whole area there was sand dunes, and not one course ver took advantage of them the worse being The Pate Course at Rancho La Quinta. It featured a site that had some small buy potent 10-12 dunes that could have produced some great golf. Instead they got more courses running in and out of housing tracts.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2003, 10:08:14 AM »
TN- Whats the story on the cc o' desert? I was just gonna recommend the Dye course because when Don Mahaffey and I toured it it look interesting mostly due to some of the centerline green front bunkering and mogul marked fairways. The Clarke course looked too pretty to want to harm a single blade of grass but the golf seemed dictated framed and likely worth only a few visits. but it is hard to say having seen all the holes within an hour period.

Remember the starters box is there too.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back