News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim_Coleman

Rakes In Or Outside of Bunkers?
« on: April 22, 2018, 09:20:42 PM »
    I'm for outside.  A ball can trickle into a bunker, roll up against a rake left inside, and leave no shot.  Is there another side to this debate?  Because it seems my course decided this year to change from outside to inside.  A ball rolled up against a rake three times today in just my group - leaving no shot each time.

mike_malone

Re: Rakes In Or Outside of Bunkers?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 09:34:19 PM »
My preference is teeth in and handle out. But I think the best hope is outside but not in the direct line of play
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 09:49:26 PM by mike_malone »
AKA Mayday

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 09:36:14 PM »
USGA recommends rakes out of the bunker and lying parallel to the line of play to cause the least disruption to play and to avoid the rules dilemmas sited above.

Tyler

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 09:51:45 PM »
My preference is teeth in and handle out.

+1, but between the high and low side of the bunker on the outside edge of the fairway if possible.

Putting a rake in the bunker often means more walking through a bunker and then more raking...slows play down for no good reason.  Its obvious why a rake shouldn't be outside a bunker. 

One of the worst solutions I have seen is at Rye...outside the bunker and on pegs which make rakes stand up...looks bloody awful.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend & Alnmouth

corey miller

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 10:28:51 PM »

The answer depends on if the membership/players know where to enter/exit bunkers.  Nothing looks worse than "steep and deep" bunkers with all the rakes visible from 150 yards away.

I care more about aesthetics but do wonder why a ball against a rake in the bunker leaving "no shot" is worse than a ball lying next to a rake that was prevented from going into a bunker is a better outcome for the game?

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 10:53:14 PM »
Have never once given it a moment's thought....I seriously had to think about where I left the rake today.
Outside it is.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 03:10:33 AM »
Solve the problem by not having rakes. Use a club or your foot the old fashioned way. Your not entitled to a perfect lie in a bunker, it is a hazard!!!!!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 03:46:31 AM »
Solve the problem by not having rakes. Use a club or your foot the old fashioned way. Your not entitled to a perfect lie in a bunker, it is a hazard!!!!!

+1
:)
atb

Kyle Harris

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 05:19:45 AM »
No rules controversy or bad lies:

Put the damn rake inside the bunker 6 feet away from the edge on the flat part.

Sometimes I wonder if you people actually think for more than two seconds through these "problems."  ::) ;D ;)
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 07:42:15 AM »

+1
 :)
atb

+2

Ira

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 07:43:38 AM »

says the man who as obviously only played sunshine resort course ;) On most links courses 6 feet away from the edge is outside the bunker on the other side and the nearest flat part is the next tee ::)

Get back on you cart Kyle and have another beer. Meanwhile back in the real world............

Kyle Harris

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 08:17:06 AM »

says the man who as obviously only played sunshine resort course ;) On most links courses 6 feet away from the edge is outside the bunker on the other side and the nearest flat part is the next tee ::)

Get back on you cart Kyle and have another beer. Meanwhile back in the real world............

Then put it in the middle of the bunker!  ;D

Yet another two second analysis.

Signed,

The most militant walking golfer in Florida.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 08:55:48 AM »
From the superintendents perspective, leave it either in or out, but leaving it half way in between means two sets or maintenance practices need to be interrupted to pick up and move the rake.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Bob Montle

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 08:58:58 AM »

+3
"If you're the swearing type, golf will give you plenty to swear about.  If you're the type to get down on yourself, you'll have ample opportunities to get depressed.  If you like to stop and smell the roses, here's your chance.  Golf never judges; it just brings out who you are."

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2018, 09:06:40 AM »
Please, while rare, who doesn't love a perfectly executed bunker shot? If the bunkers are left unkempt another skill achieved through hard work and practice is out the window.

Me, I just want a rake near where I enter the bunker.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2018, 09:24:01 AM »
Please, while rare, who doesn't love a perfectly executed bunker shot?

Tom Lehman and Bernhard Langer?
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Sean_A

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2018, 10:05:04 AM »
From the superintendents perspective, leave it either in or out, but leaving it half way in between means two sets or maintenance practices need to be interrupted to pick up and move the rake.

Eventually, the tail wagging the dog can't be the priority.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend & Alnmouth

Kyle Harris

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2018, 10:11:25 AM »

Ciao

It's your money.

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2018, 10:39:55 AM »
Outside, parallel to the fairway, at the farside front of the bunker in relation to the fairway.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Sean_A

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2018, 11:22:08 AM »

Ciao

It's your money.

Master of the obvious  8)

Ciao

Kalen Braley

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2018, 11:34:36 AM »
How expensive are the in ground rake holders? 

Perhaps a little spendy but "solves" the problem...  ;)

Peter Flory

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2018, 11:46:11 AM »

The ultimate system is what Rich Harvest Farms has, where the rakes stow away underground and emerge on command.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2018, 11:59:46 AM »
My answer is the same one added to the last three times this topic arose here..;-)

After consulting our GCA, super and "Golf Gods", we place them "half in, half out".
Meaning, the rake head is in the bunker perpendicular to the bunker edge so the rake handle is slightly elevated over the grass next to bunker.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2018, 12:07:32 PM »
Outside of having rake holders of some type..

Golfers are just gonna put them wherever the hell they want anyways...  ;)

Lou_Duran

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2018, 12:12:31 PM »
No rules controversy or bad lies:

Sometimes I wonder if you people actually think for more than two seconds through these "problems."  ::) ;D ;)

To be so young and so certain! ;)

Like with letting players waiting behind you hit up on par 3s, it all Depends on numerous things.  My experience suggests that the USGA recommendation is the least bad option.  As to the gents advocating for no rakes, I was under the impression that an important cause of golf's decline is that the game is too difficult for most people.   Making golf harder is a good thing?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back