News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Don Mahaffey

Alfred T. Stanger Memorial Scholarship
« on: February 19, 2018, 02:49:05 PM »

Link to the Alfred T. Stanger Memorial Scholarship. http://www.mnuzzo.com/ATS/ATS-Scholarship-announcement.pdf

I met Al Stanger in 2005 when he told me he wanted a personal 18-hole golf course. He could always read me and when he saw the look on my face he said, “I do what I say I’m going to do”, and he did. The story of Wolf Point Club has been told many times here so I’ll just say this. Al was the most optimistic, encouraging, and inspiring person I’ve ever worked with. He figured if others were doing it, we could too, only we’d do it even better.

In 2010, after we finished most of the construction on his golf course, we formed Greenscape Methods, a golf company. When it was successful, he shared a greater share of the profits with me than our partnership agreement called for. When his accountants asked him why, he said I deserved it. That’s the type of man he was, and he was an even better friend.

We formed the Greenscape Methods Charitable Foundation to fund the Alfred T. Stanger Memorial Scholarship fund. Al died in 2016 and we hope to pass along some of Al’s encouragement to young people pursuing a career in golf.  But the real reason I wanted to create this annual scholarship gift is so I can talk about my friend every year.

Please share the link with any organization or website where golfers visit. 

If you have any questions, please refer to the link and the application. If you still need help after that, you can reach me at Donmahaff@gmail.com

« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 01:43:56 PM by Ran Morrissett »

Adam Lawrence

Re: Alfred T. Stanger Memorial Scholarship
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 03:04:35 PM »
Bravo
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 03:22:43 PM »
Don do you need funds still for the scholarships or is this just to find worthy young applicants?
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 03:44:28 PM »
Jeff,
In 2018 our Foundation is awarding two $2000 scholarship gifts in memory of Al. We are also awarding one $2000 vocational education scholarship locally in honor of my father, Rex Mahaffey.
And our third charity is thr local habitat for humanity chapter where we are donating our time to landscape one new home. All of these are fully funded for 2018.

But like all charities, we are constantly trying to raise funds for future giving. 100% of funds donated to our foundation are dedicated to giving as my company covers all overhead and administrative expenses.

Greenscape Methods Charitable Foindation
1406 CR 303
Edna, TX 77957.

Blake Conant

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 05:50:37 PM »
Thanks for sharing, Don.  What a great idea and great way to remember your friend. I'll certainly pass along the link.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 01:58:23 AM »
Great cause and always glad to help out others who are being called for charitable pursuits.  Donation sent. I just read up on Al and he seemed like great guy.

God bless,
Jeff
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 06:42:56 AM by Jeff Schley »
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Steve_Roths

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 02:18:14 PM »
Don,

Do let us know if you plan an outing at Wolf Point to raise funds for this scholarship.  I could pull together some groups to help the cause.

S.

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 09:50:07 PM »
I've received a few questions about sharing the link.  Please do.  If you're a member of GCSAA, GCBAA, PGA, or any other golf organization, please share it to your web page. Same goes for turfnet, ASGCA, and anywhere else where students pursuing a career in golf may visit. Thx.

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 10:14:51 AM »
Don,

Do let us know if you plan an outing at Wolf Point to raise funds for this scholarship.  I could pull together some groups to help the cause.

S.

Is there a Dixie Cup location set for 2018? Maybe combine it with a fundraising portion for the scholarship. I haven't made one of these yet but would give added importance to help out a great cause.

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 08:21:15 PM »
Update: the two scholarships we are awarding this year just increased from $2000 to $2500 due some recent contributions.  Thanks to everyone that has helped.

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2018, 04:13:40 PM »
bump....just keeping on first two pages for awhile....

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 09:57:50 PM »
Just bumping again. Two $2500 scholarship gifts for students pursuing a career in golf.

archie_struthers

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2018, 08:15:01 AM »
 ;D 8)

Don , Great stuff. So nice to see positive golf stories!

Must have been quite a guy.

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2018, 03:56:06 PM »
Archie,
he cleard the land for the golf course himself, over two years...he wore out two big backhoes in the process.
He had a few instrcutions, the one I remember most - I was trying to get him to let me take him on a tour, to assure we were on the right path, when he tired of me pushing him, he finally said "...just make it outrageous, I'll see it when I play it and if I don't like it we'll bull doze it and do it again..."

Imagine the golf courses we've have if more clients just said that...I doubt many would ever get re done.

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2018, 06:38:26 PM »
Another bump as deadline to apply is May 1

If you know a student pursuing a career in golf, please pass along the link in first post.

If you’re a member of a PGA, GCSAA, CMA or any other golf related association chapter, please post the link on your webpage

Two $2500 scholarships available.  Thx, Don

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2018, 08:33:01 AM »
My last bump - deadline May 1st.
I have zero applications so far. 
If we don’t award we’ll find something else to do with the $$$ but I am surprised. 
Are there no students looking to go into the golf industry?

JLahrman

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2018, 10:05:25 AM »

Are there no students looking to go into the golf industry?

About half the guys on this website, though they're all too old to be heading to college!

Do you know how many "PGA, GCSAA, CMA or any other golf related association chapters" have actually posted the link?

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2018, 11:07:01 AM »
I know the link was sent to every CMA member in TX, and a member of the Lone Star GCSAA BOD tells me the link was posted on their site.
I sent an email with the link to the directors of turf programs at MSU, PSU, and TX A & M, none replied. 
Based on some messages I have received this morning I think we’ll get some applicants.   

JLahrman

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2018, 11:43:34 AM »
OK good, keep us posted. It's a nice initiative that could really benefit a student.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back