News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Handley

Scotland trip in June (thoughts)
« on: April 17, 2018, 09:55:51 PM »
I have been to Scotland a few times but never up north.  That is all about to change in June.  I have a great group of 12 guys headed there June 8-16.  I am looking for any advice for the trip (golf, bars, restaurants, whisky, etc). 

Here is the itinerary:

6/8. Fri.    Golf at Nairn Golf Club (18)
6/9. Sat.   Golf at Castle Stuart (18)
6/10 Sun  Golf at Royal Dornoch (36)
6/11 Mon  Golf at Castle Stuart (18)
6/12 Tue   Golf at Carnegie Club (18)
6/13 Wed  Golf at Royal Aberdeen (18)
6/14 Thu  Golf at Trump International (36)
6/15 Fri.   Golf at Cruden Bay (18)

We are staying at Castle Stuart the first four nights and Malmaison in Aberdeen the last four nights.

Cheers - John
2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC,

David_Tepper

Re: Scotland trip in June (thoughts)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 09:58:38 PM »
John H. -

I will be in Dornoch May 11 to June 8. Sorry I will miss you. I can offer you quite a bit of info.

Check your message box!

DT

Tim Gallant

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 03:54:15 AM »
John,

Given that you will be heading from Inverness to Aberdeen, I would stop off and see Fraserburgh on the way! Maybe a twilight rate as you are driving for a nice break.

Michael Wolf

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 09:29:52 AM »

John,

Given that you will be heading from Inverness to Aberdeen, I would stop off and see Fraserburgh on the way! Maybe a twilight rate as you are driving for a nice break.

I was going to say the same thing about Brora - if you're spending that much time in the North, you've gotta find an extra 3 hours for Brora one night.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 10:08:17 AM »
I'm curious to know if Trump International plays faster and firmer now than when it opened. 

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 03:11:54 PM »
stop by the Glenmoragnie Distillery when in Dornoch. Well worth the five pounds.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

James Boon

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 05:06:06 PM »
John,

I too would also usually suggest Brora as a must play while in the area, perhaps in lieu of Nairn or the second day at Castle Stuart. However if you are staying at Castle Stuart, Dornoch is probably about an hours drive from there and Brora an hour and a half so that's a lot of driving.

I'd also recommend the Balblair Distillery over the Glenmorangie but everyone prefers a different experience whether its a golf course or a distillery  :)

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 05:21:44 PM »
We did the tour of Glenmorangie and it is informative but they give you not much more than a sip to try - I believe it is because the laws are very tough with respect to driving with any alcohol in your blood. BTW: I suggest you try and make a reservation as the tours sell out.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 06:21:28 PM »
Best idea vis a vis whiskies is to fuggedaboot distillieries,.  They are all the same.  Ask the locals, who will give you the best whisky bars in the area.  In Dornoch it used to be the Burghfield, but it is defunct.  Try the Castle.  And, if you  can spend the time on your journey from Inverness to Aberdeen, stop at the Craigallichie Hotel.  Used to have a great Japanese aficionado/ bartender, but still is great, I am told.  If you are sharing driving, make the high scorer drive and drink water.  If you have a chauffeur, enjoy!

http://www.craigellachiehotel.co.uk/the-quaich/
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

David_Tepper

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 07:42:00 PM »
"And, if you  can spend the time on your journey from Inverness to Aberdeen, stop at the Craigallichie Hotel.  Used to have a great Japanese aficionado/ bartender, but still is great, I am told."

Rich -

The former Japanese bartender/afficionado (Tatsuya Minigawa) of the Quaich Bar in the Craigellachie Hotel purchased the Highlander Inn, also in Craigellachie, in 2015. The Highlander Inn is more of a spot for the locals. He is still the proprietor. Lauren & I had dinner there a year and a half ago. Good fish & chips!

As you might imagine, the bar there has a good selection of Japanese whiskies in addition to a wide selection of native single-malts.

http://www.whiskyinn.com/thebar.html

DT
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 09:24:21 PM by David_Tepper »

Rich Goodale

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2018, 08:37:33 PM »
Good to know that, David.

Thanks.

R
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

David_Tepper

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2018, 09:32:53 PM »
And speaking of whisky, two of the best whisky shops in Scotland (which makes them two of the best in the world ;) ) are located roughly halfway between Inverness & Aberdeen.

Gordon & MacPhail is in Elgin, a block or two off route A 96:

https://www.gordonandmacphail.com/our-shop/ 

The Whisky Shop is right off the main square in Dufftown, not far from the Glenfiddich and Balvenie distilleries:

https://www.whiskyshopdufftown.com/
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 08:57:33 AM by David_Tepper »

MClutterbuck

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2018, 10:05:32 AM »
Dont miss Brora. After Nairn or instead of Nairn.

James Reader

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 12:15:43 PM »
if you get the chance one evening while you’re at Castle Stuart, make the short drive down the A9 and play Boat of Garten. More than 30 years after I first read about it, I finally played today and it’s wonderful - even on a drizzly April morning. On a sunny June evening I can’t imagine that there will be many better places to be.
Don’t be put off by the sub-6000 yardage - you’ll have plenty of length on the rest of your trip.  What you might not have is much more fun!

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2018, 02:31:12 PM »
I have been to Scotland a few times but never up north.  That is all about to change in June.  I have a great group of 12 guys headed there June 8-16.  I am looking for any advice for the trip (golf, bars, restaurants, whisky, etc). 

Here is the itinerary:

6/8. Fri.    Golf at Nairn Golf Club (18)
6/9. Sat.   Golf at Castle Stuart (18)
6/10 Sun  Golf at Royal Dornoch (36)
6/11 Mon  Golf at Castle Stuart (18)
6/12 Tue   Golf at Carnegie Club (18)
6/13 Wed  Golf at Royal Aberdeen (18)
6/14 Thu  Golf at Trump International (36)
6/15 Fri.   Golf at Cruden Bay (18)

We are staying at Castle Stuart the first four nights and Malmaison in Aberdeen the last four nights.

Cheers - John

John

I stayed at Malmaison... good spot. Don't know if your itinerary if malleable, but I'd play Trump once (18) and play 36 at either Cruden Bay or Royal Aberdeen. Or maybe play Murcar and then Trump?

Wayne

John Handley

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2018, 08:22:24 PM »
Wayne-

Good to hear about Malmaison.  Trying to book 12 rooms was a chore. 

Did you not like Trump International?  Or did you just love Cruden Bay and Royal Aberdeen?

Any good restaurants and bars you visited in Aberdeen?
2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC,

Jeff Schley

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2018, 03:10:12 AM »
I booked my Scotland trip for June and sorry for hijacking John's thread, but thought it best here.

Flying in June 14th A.M. and will book a shuttle with some company to St. Andrews.  I won't rent a car.

Stay in Old Course Hotel 1 night, then 3 nights at Rusacks.  Obviously close to the Old Course.

Wake up 2-3 A.M. each morning and wait down by the Old Pavilion for a single spot on the Old Course, hope to play, repeat the next day.

Making it simple as I don't need a car and that Sunday I'm there, when the Old Course is closed I may play one of the other courses in the morning but then watch the final round of the US Open somewhere.

I'm about 7 hours away and since we have 4 working days off during the first Eid break for the end of Ramadan, used some AA miles to book the Etihad flights and I'm off. 

So looking forward to it as my philosophy is similar to going to a buffet.  I don't waste my appetite at a buffet for traditional starting salad, soup, etc.  I load up what I love, the prime rib and crab legs only for 4-5 trips, then catch my breath and hit the desserts. 

When in St. Andrews I figured why play anything else if I don't have to?  The next trip I hope to take my dad and brother, but for this one just have to hope my feet are up to it.  ;D
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2018, 11:52:24 AM »
Jeff Schley - PM me your email address and we’ll have a beer when you are in St Andrews. I’ll also advise on the singles queue nearer the time.
Cave Nil Vino

Brad Payne

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2018, 12:13:53 PM »
Also, apologies John for hijacking, but didn't think necessary to start my own since similar timeframe and subject matter!  Please forgive me!

- Monday May 28th fly into Inverness and rent a car to head up to Dornoch to hang with David. Play Dornoch, Brora and Golspie in some order through the 1st
- June 1st, head down to St Andrews and try and get an afternoon round at the New or wherever I can.  Saturday the 2nd, try and do the Old Course walk up at the pavilion.  Sunday playing with fellow GCAer Tim at North Berwick, Monday at Carnoustie, Tuesday at Elie and then fly home late evening on Tuesday.

If anyone is in town or would like to meet for a beer, please let me know.

-Brad
Founder and CEO, Walker Trolleys
We are creating the most beautiful, high-end golf push cart for the player, purist, aficionado that appreciates style, form and functionality and chooses to walk the game.
https://www.walkertrolleys.com

John Handley

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2018, 05:11:48 PM »
Jeff-

You should play Kingsbarns for sure.  It's close by and a great course.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2018, 06:31:47 PM »
Wayne-

Good to hear about Malmaison.  Trying to book 12 rooms was a chore. 

Did you not like Trump International?  Or did you just love Cruden Bay and Royal Aberdeen?

Any good restaurants and bars you visited in Aberdeen?

Sorry about the delay... was trying to sell some space (you know how that is?!)

I liked Trump's course, and the setting among those dunes is pretty special. But RA and Cruden Bay are equally impressive in the scenery department and much "purer" links experience. One example, is Trump International has multiple tee boxes built on each hole, unnecessarily IMO, while Cruden Bay's and RA's are much more integrated into the layout... does that make sense?

As far as bars, the Malmaison was actually pretty hopping in its own right the night we were there (a Friday), so didn't see a need to leave the hotel.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back