News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Erik J. Barzeski

Re: Courses with the most water hazards
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2018, 02:43:53 PM »
Before they closed it, legend was that The Reserve at Thunder Hill (former fish hatchery turned former golf course) was in the running for the prize.
Ugh, yes.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Stuart Hallett

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2018, 03:35:41 PM »
Don't forget Golf National, might see some water in play on 1, 2, 3, 9, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16 & 18 !

Doug Lindahl

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2018, 04:14:37 PM »
Secession GC in Beaufort, SC.

Every shot has a water hazard of some form.  Combine that with 13 forced carries and you have on paper what would seemingly be a slog for most on this site.  However, most hazards are tidal marsh and generally don't have water in them making recovery possible.  During high tide or a storm surge they fill with water and even though the course has ample width, I would not want to play there every day.  On the contrary, with the marshes playing as firm sand and reeds I would relish playing there every day.  There is also something to be said for a hole playing completely different on the same day because of the tide. It is a completely different course with the tide in.  Love seeing the guy running off the first tee to get to his ball before the water!         
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 05:49:07 PM by Doug Lindahl »

Matthew Rose

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2018, 06:06:42 AM »
I want to say English Turn had water on every single hole, at least close enough in proximity to catch something far offline.

In high school matches I used to play a course in Madison, WI called Cherokee which was built on basically a marsh. It felt like walking on a sponge for four hours. I'm fairly certain that every hole had either wetlands or water bordering one side and often both sides. Nobody liked playing it. Probably the most memorable thing about it was that Steve Stricker used to practice there a lot; his in-laws ran the place.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Dave McCollum

« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2018, 02:05:53 PM »
I think Huntsman Springs has water on 16 of 18 holes.  Their website does say they 48 acres of water.  Like others have said, this sounds worse than it actually is and the course is quite playable.  The site, before DM Kidd manufactured the course, was a dead flat boggy mountain meadow.  What they created is pretty impressive given where they started.   

Yannick Pilon

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2018, 03:55:26 PM »
This question immediately brings to mind a course I must have played in the mid eighties, when i was probably around 12 years old, Brick Landing Plantation, in Ocean Isle, NC. After loosing 17 balls in the water in as many water hazards, and en route for score of 121, I walked off the course being not only enraged with my poor skills, but also disgusted with the course's design. After hearing all the horrible things I had to say about my round for which my parents paid for, my mother took me aside and told me if i ever acted like this again on a golf course, i would never, ever play another round. The next day, with my tails between my legs, i clearly remember going back out on the Sandpipper Bay course nearby, designed by Dan Maples, and shooting my best round ever, a 93. At that time, i remember walking off the course thinking this was the best golf course I had ever played.

To this day, Brick Landing remains the worst day i ever experienced on a golf course. I don't know if it's my score, or the design that left me with that impression.

YP
www.yannickpilongolf.com - Golf Course Architecture, Quebec, Canada

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2018, 04:04:12 PM »
This question immediately brings to mind a course I must have played in the mid eighties, when i was probably around 12 years old, Brick Landing Plantation, in Ocean Isle, NC. After loosing 17 balls in the water in as many water hazards, and en route for score of 121, I walked off the course being not only enraged with my poor skills, but also disgusted with the course's design. After hearing all the horrible things I had to say about my round for which my parents paid for, my mother took me aside and told me if i ever acted like this again on a golf course, i would never, ever play another round. The next day, with my tails between my legs, i clearly remember going back out on the Sandpipper Bay course nearby, designed by Dan Maples, and shooting my best round ever, a 93. At that time, i remember walking off the course thinking this was the best golf course I had ever played.

To this day, Brick Landing remains the worst day i ever experienced on a golf course. I don't know if it's my score, or the design that left me with that impression.

YP

I've played Brick Landing a couple of times, but probably not in the past decade. It's not the worst course I've ever played, but it is not very good -- there are probably 15 courses just in the Ocean Isle/Sunset Beach/Shallotte area I'd rather play than Brick Landing, and possibly upwards of 50 in the Grand Strand area. Of course, you said you played there in the mid-80s, so a lot of the courses I'm referring to didn't even exist yet.

While I'm sure the score was a factor, I'm also positive the design didn't help matters.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back