News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Re: BUDA 2018: FINAL COUNTDOWN THREAD
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2018, 12:28:39 PM »
Jon -
Yes, there was a delay on the Cromarty Bridge when we drove up on May 11. But there was no work being done on the bridge when we drove down to and back from Inverness yesterday.

Yesterday, there was work being done that blocked traffic just north of the Tore roundabout.
DT 

Mark Pearce

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2018, 04:27:54 PM »
There are still free slots in a 7.08am tee time at Dornoch on Friday.  Any takers?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2018, 07:46:40 PM »
There are still free slots in a 7.08am tee time at Dornoch on Friday.  Any takers?
No takers for a free game on RDGC?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

mike_malone

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2018, 06:36:13 AM »
I’ll take that Dornoch opening
AKA Mayday

Garland Bayley

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2018, 06:52:13 AM »
No takers for a free game on RDGC?

Free is a very good price, but I am playing at 824 with David Tepper, and I believe that is priceless.

Probably most of the rest are of to see Portmahomack, so can't be bothered with Royal Dornoch.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

David_Tepper

« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2018, 07:27:49 AM »
I am just back from an early morning round in the fog (the "haar") at Golspie. The course is looking quite good.
Assuming the sunshine arrives for the weekend as forecast, I think we will enjoy ourselves.

James Boon

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2018, 09:35:06 AM »
Steve,

Afraid I wont be able to make Golspie clubhouse on Friday evening, so unless there has been a rush of suggestions for someone else to be Captain (or perhaps a Friday evening drunken acceptance?), I'm happy to meet at Brora clubhouse at 7 to finalise pairings and matches then? I've checked and the clubhouse should be open at 7 and suggest everyone tries to get there for 7.30 anyway but then I've always preferred being early and ready to go rather than last minute rushing!

If on Friday night you can all discuss what you think is the best way forwards regarding the imbalanced sides this year I'm sure between a few of you, that the right solution will be found? If I'm right its 10 v 15 which isnt ideal... Is anyone aware of any locals that might want to join us? If not my first couple of options are:

Option 1:
1 no. singles match
5 no. single RoW v pair USA
2 no. pair RoW v pair USA
(Not a fan of so many single v pair matches but suggested for the mathematical option only!)

Option 2:
1 no. singles match
1 no. single RoW v pair USA
4 no. pair RoW v pair USA
Plus a friendly match between a USA fourball
(or each round of matches one USA pair is drawn from the hat to represent their friends on the RoW team to increase the friendly nature of the match?)

Thoughts?

Steve, if Brora early doesnt work for you, and you can solve the numbers issue, if you can email me your pairings (plus possible pair on secondment), I'll add mine then post on here late on Friday so everyone has a chance to see them?

Cheers,

James

ps Managed a wonderful "early bird" round at Boat of Garten this morning! Not sure that there is an inland course in Scotland with a better setting?
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Niall C

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2018, 02:02:32 PM »
James

My suggestion for the team imbalance (in the absence of anyone else joining the party) is to co-opt a couple of players from the US team which will still leave them with one more. That can be dealt with the same way as last year with a single playing against a pair in both the foresomes and "fourball". When it comes to the singles on the Monday, we put out our strongest player two play against a US pair, effectively playing two matches at the same time. Mark had to do that last year and made a good go of it if I remember correctly.

Niall

Mark Pearce

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2018, 02:20:10 PM »
I'm getting in to Brora at 8.50 tomorrow night by train.  I won't have a car.  Does anyone know how easy it might be to get a cab down to meet you guys at Golspie?

Conrad is now also not arriving until late tomorrow (or even early Saturday) as he has had to fly to Denmark on business.  Hopefully he will arrive for Saturday morning's golf but we'll know more tomorrow.

David_Tepper

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2018, 03:17:34 PM »
"I'm getting in to Brora at 8.50 tomorrow night by train.  I won't have a car.  Does anyone know how easy it might be to get a cab down to meet you guys at Golspie?"
Mark -
Strictly a guess on my part, but the chance of finding a cab in Brora at 8:50pm are likely rather slim. Does the train stop in Golspie? You can almost walk from the Golspie station to the golf club.
If the gathering starts at 7:00pm and no food will be served, I would also wonder how many guys will still be there at 9:00pm.

See you Saturday morning!
DT 

Mark Pearce

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2018, 03:58:24 PM »
David,

Yes, it stops at Golspie but only 10 minutes earlier and I'll want to get my gear to the place we'[re staying, so I suspect it will be Saturday AM before I catch up with anyone.

Steve,

One final question.  Do we need jacket and tie for the dinner on Sunday evening?

Mark

Garland Bayley

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2018, 04:06:53 PM »
Mark,
Steve has assured me no coat and tie necessary.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2018, 04:13:07 PM »
The American Bayley's left Cheltenham England and sailed to the New World a long time ago on the ship the Angel Gabriel which ship wrecked off the Maine coast, and eventually begat me if that helps with leveling the sides.

David_Tepper

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2018, 02:41:39 AM »
As a member at Golspie for over 15 years and a resident of the Highlands for almost 2 months a year, I am willing to join the Euro side if need be to balance out the numbers of players on each team.
Given my inability to play anywhere near my handicap, the Euros will gain little more than a live body with some local knowledge. ;) 

Steve Wilson

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2018, 03:22:24 AM »
To clarify or reiterate: NO coat and tie required at Golspie. And as far as I know the Indian restaurant is cool on this as well😁
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2018, 03:23:31 AM »
Have a great time folks.
Hope to catch up at next years event.
 :)

atb

mike_malone

« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2018, 06:09:21 AM »

I will be late for the meeting tonight. There were two rounds paid for at Dornoch. I used one this morning and asked if I could use the other for a replay today. I will go off 530/600 tonight. 

AKA Mayday

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2018, 07:56:51 AM »
Have a great time folks.
Hope to catch up at next years event.
 :)

atb

Me to!

Enjoy :)
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back