News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: OT - i hate the term "Patrons"!
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2018, 12:07:07 PM »
Mike,

I was thinking the same.  Nothing like good old religious "obey your masters and behave.... or else" to keep the flock in line!

I gave that part of my life up years ago, no interest in going back!  ;)

P.S.  If the green jackets really trust thier devout "patrons", why impose so many rules on them...

Joe Hancock

« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2018, 04:55:09 PM »
Kalen,

I assume you have never attended a Masters Tournament. You won’t find people there against their will, nor will you find anyone grumbling about all those imposing rules that you assume ruin the whole experience for them. On the contrary, you find a lot of people who love golf, love the settting, and are grateful to be there....not only in spite of the rules, but because of them.

If you’re so set against rules, how do you feel about Ran’s stated rules of behavior as a guest of his on this discussion board? I don’t see how one is OK, but not the other... unless it is some other issue you have with ANGC and The Masters.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Kalen Braley

« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2018, 05:05:57 PM »
Joe,

I've never been and knowing its next to impossible to get tickets, I'm pretty sure I never will!  But what you described could be just as easily said about someone going to the local church on Sunday.  Presumably no one is forcing them, and if asked most will claim to love going and be grateful to be there.  But I don't think thats really so for church goers cause the data suggests otherwise....

P.S.  I like being here.  The discussion is good and the friendships even better.  And I understand I am a guest and choose to refrain from the issues Ran has setup as guidelines.  But unlike those church going folk or Masters "patrons", the difference is Ran isn't holding something over my head to keep me in line. If he chose to revoke my membership I would still read along on most threads just like now.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 05:07:49 PM by Kalen Braley »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2018, 05:11:23 PM »

The fact that the Patrons resell thier badges for certain days and time slots, in direct violation of the rules....enough so that the Masters is supposedly going to start cracking down on it, tells me everything I need to know in terms of "is anybody watching"....

https://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2018/3/27/augusta-national-cracking-down-on-third-party-market-invalidating-some-credentials

Don't get me wrong, I don't care one bit if they do it or not....its the implicit message that Masters "Patrons" are different or above it all that is the nauseating part...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 05:15:14 PM by Kalen Braley »

corey miller

« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2018, 05:23:38 PM »

I think the term Patrons is a goof but if the Masters think it makes people more civil in the way they act at the Tourney I am all for it.

Not sure how any of this has to do with going to church or temple or mosque but would think Kalen follows whatever innane rules or decorum set down at the clubs he plays at.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2018, 11:20:49 AM »

but if the Masters think

This little grammatical slip up is hysterical.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

jeffwarne

« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2018, 09:31:20 AM »
Kalen,

I assume you have never attended a Masters Tournament. You won’t find people there against their will, nor will you find anyone grumbling about all those imposing rules that you assume ruin the whole experience for them. On the contrary, you find a lot of people who love golf, love the settting, and are grateful to be there....not only in spite of the rules, but because of them.

+1
There's not one policy there that doesn't make the experience BETTER-including and especially-NO CELL PHONES.(and for those who can't stomach that-there are FREE phone stations all around the course where you can call toll FREE anywhere in the world)
Everything is set up to enhance the experience, and you can't go 100 yards without an employee wishing you well with a smile on their face.
It's unlike ANY sporting event  where they genuinely appreciate the patrons, rather than treat them like cattle like virtually every other major sporting event.(most of which I've long ago given up attending)

I've watched 30 seconds of the RBC this week (I was focused yesterday on watching the PGAtourchampions where my High School teammate Scott Parel lost in a playoff)
During that 30 seconds I heard two incredibly boorish drunken Bubba-booeys and Get in the Hole!-timed incredibly close to the players downswing.
Enough for a quick mute but pure noise pollution for those bothering to attend live.

Golf,The Masters,and evidently religion.... are not for everyone.
That's OK.
I'm all for welcoming and inclusion, but not for "growing the game" by dumbing down to the lowest common denominator.

I do find it ironic that despite all the "onerous restrictive" supposed rules for "patrons" at Augusta, a 4 day series badge goes for $10,000 at resale and a practice round is $600-$1000, while a Sunday badge at iconic Shinnecock in the playground of some of the wealthiest people in the world is available in spades on stub-hub for $100.....
But I guess be able to yell Bubba-Booey is worth something....

« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 09:49:29 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Rees Milikin

« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2018, 09:43:33 AM »
Mike,

I was thinking the same.  Nothing like good old religious "obey your masters and behave.... or else" to keep the flock in line!

I gave that part of my life up years ago, no interest in going back!  ;)

P.S.  If the green jackets really trust thier devout "patrons", why impose so many rules on them...

Rebel without a cause

Tim Martin

« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2018, 10:47:44 AM »
The idea that decorum somehow takes away from the experience is ill conceived. There's not a better day to be had in golf or the world of sport than to be a "patron" at the Masters. They continue to find ways to hone the tooniment on a yearly basis when you didnt think it could get any better.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 10:49:29 AM by Tim Martin »

MCirba

« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2018, 12:38:36 PM »
Gentlemen, Gentlemen...I doth beseech thee...

I doth believe you present a false choice.   Either embrace the offensive, cringe-worthy term that is oozing with pretension, bowing to embrace all of it's condescending implications, or hand the world over to the unleashed beastly iterations of our lesser selves, with barbarians storming the gates, chanting, "Verily, verily, Baba Booey You Da Man!"   

Surely we can have both, can we not?   Are we not reasonable men?   This is not an either/or proposition and one can forsake one without the other falling into ruin.

Pray tell?
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Joe Hancock

« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2018, 12:48:05 PM »
Gentlemen, Gentlemen...I doth beseech thee...

I doth believe you present a false choice.   Either embrace the offensive, cringe-worthy term that is oozing with pretension, bowing to embrace all of it's condescending implications, or hand the world over to the unleashed beastly iterations of our lesser selves, with barbarians storming the gates, chanting, "Verily, verily, Baba Booey You Da Man!"   

Surely we can have both, can we not?   Are we not reasonable men?   This is not an either/or proposition and one can forsake one without the other falling into ruin.

Pray tell?

Double standard, perhaps? In that if we can have both, why the thread? Explain thyself, knave!
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Lou_Duran

« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2018, 12:53:20 PM »
They continue to find ways to hone the tooniment on a yearly basis when you didnt think it could get any better.

We were talking during this difficult winter about the Masters and how the club and the tournament are aspirational.  In golf as in life, change is a constant.  Things are nearly always getting better or worse.  Maybe those of us who normally play on courses that just appear to be treading water can more greatly appreciate the impetus for improvement and the attention to detail that is well-exemplified by the leadership of ANGC.  Personally, I find the term "patron" respectful and considerate.  Perhaps it elicits a higher standard of behavior in return.  Is that bad?  Me, as the saying goes, I care much more that they call me than what they call me.  Looking forward to 2019!

MCirba

« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2018, 01:39:20 PM »

Double standard, perhaps? In that if we can have both, why the thread? Explain thyself, knave!

Behead that man!
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Stuart Hallett

« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2018, 03:14:02 PM »

As with any major sporting event, what bothers me is the "Veni, vidi, vici" Got the teeshirt mentality. An aquaintance showed me photos of a friend posting photos of masters tickets on FB, how sad. I refuse to be a part of this circus, and most major events have become headline actors over the years. Absolute snobbery may I say. Lucky for me, TV coverage is very good  :)
Ryder Cup 2018 in my living room despite invites from interested people.

Tim Martin

« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2018, 03:21:01 PM »

As with any major sporting event, what bothers me is the "Veni, vidi, vici" Got the teeshirt mentality. An aquaintance showed me photos of a friend posting photos of masters tickets on FB, how sad. I refuse to be a part of this circus, and most major events have become headline actors over the years. Absolute snobbery may I say. Lucky for me, TV coverage is very good  :)
Ryder Cup 2018 in my living room despite invites from interested people.

Stuart-I’m with you on the social media aspect as it just doesn’t interest me. That said I believe you would walk away with a huge smile after spending a day at the Masters.

Stuart Hallett

« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2018, 03:25:29 PM »

Tim, with like minded people, you are probably correct  ;) 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back