News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

MCirba

OT - i hate the term "Patrons"!
« on: April 07, 2018, 06:03:08 PM »
Is there a more pretentious, patronizing term for an audience of spectators at a sporting event anywhere?

It doesn't even have the charm of being anachronistic because until recently no one would be self-importantly haughty enough to come up with such an idiotic term.

Thank you.  That feels better.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

John Kavanaugh

Re: OT - i hate the term "Patrons"!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 06:14:55 PM »
Beats deplorables. But seriously, I feel for anyone who doesn't love everything about this tournament unconditionally. If only work, marriage and faith had something that brings such a sense of renewal that the Masters gives to golf every spring.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 06:17:27 PM »
Then there’s the second cut.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Ian Galbraith

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 06:17:33 PM »
Is there a more pretentious, patronizing term for an audience of spectators at a sporting event anywhere?

It doesn't even have the charm of being anachronistic because until recently no one would be self-importantly haughty enough to come up with such an idiotic term.

Thank you.  That feels better.

More than the organisers wishing to call their spectators patrons, what grates is the slavish adoption of this silly term by all the media bods. Scared to lose their accreditation for next year I perhaps.  ::)

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 06:31:32 PM »
Dear Mr. Cirba,

You are hereby forever banned from the grounds of Augusta National Golf Club as a guest of a member or as a patron of The Masters Tournament.

Fred Ridley, Chairman
Augusta National Golf Club
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 06:32:23 PM »
Its just the old fashioned way of saying customer Mike. I have no problem with the word or it being used. I will give you the point that the organiser's insistence on it's use comes across as been a bit silly though.

MClutterbuck

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 06:32:29 PM »
patron
ˈpeɪtr(ə)n/Submit
noun
a person who gives financial or other support to a person, organization, or cause.
a customer of a shop, restaurant, etc., especially a regular one.

"Especially a regular one" ... Do they want to emphasize in 1 word the privilege badge holders have in being able to return year after year?

Bill Gayne

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 06:45:40 PM »

"Hello friends" and today's "welcome friends." You can go to Vineyard Vines and buy the "Hello Friends" line of clothing. There's no logical reason I should care about Jim Nantz's cliched greeting.

I'm good with "patrons" and would even put it on the like side.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 06:52:19 PM »
Mike -
I understand: they can take the boy out of the 60s, but they can't take the 60s out of the boy.
But I suppose it's not so much what "patrons" are as what they're not.
They're not "fans", which is merely a ghastly abbreviation away from "fanatics".
They're not "guests", and thus are definitionally unable to overstay their welcome.
They're not "customers", what with the tawdry profit-motive the word implies, and the messiness involved in "consuming" anything save for a crust-less sandwich wedge.
"Ticket-holders" have the nasty habit of standing on the rights and privileges conferred to them upon purchase of said ticket -- and this, of course, can't possibly be allowed.
And, despite what Jim Nantz might suggest in moments of poetic licence, they're certainly not "friends" -- a presumptuous and uncouth brand of familiarity that the founding fathers would've frowned upon, vigourously.
In short, we must let the Jimmy Roberts of the world continue to intone the word "patron" -- our only satisfaction in knowing that our grandchildren, watching the broadcasts in some 2040 version of you-tube, will snicker and roll their eyes at the conceit.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 07:00:00 PM »
To ANGC they are like patrons of the arts. 

corey miller

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2018, 07:06:34 PM »

Have they always been "patrons"?

I am still working on the NFL imposed mandate that the media call "exhibition" games "pre-season" as if that makes them more meaningful. 

Bill Gayne

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2018, 07:15:11 PM »
I was told today that "Dilly Dilly" is verboten at the Masters.

Greg Smith

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2018, 08:12:24 PM »
Heck, the Masters is SUPPOSED to be pretentious!  If there isn't allowed to be pretension within the grounds of Augusta National, just where can it exist anywhere else on planet Earth?

I say let er rip and just let the pretensions flow.  I actually kind of like the over the top elitism in this day and age of political correctness and egalitarianism.

The day I get to be a patron at the Masters is by definition a great day.   It's the last place to hide from democracy run amok.
O fools!  who drudge from morn til night
And dream your way of life is wise,
Come hither!  prove a happier plight,
The golfer lives in Paradise!                      

John Somerville, The Ballade of the Links at Rye (1898)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2018, 08:23:24 PM »
Heck, the Masters is SUPPOSED to be pretentious!  If there isn't allowed to be pretension within the grounds of Augusta National, just where can it exist anywhere else on planet Earth?

I say let er rip and just let the pretensions flow.  I actually kind of like the over the top elitism in this day and age of political correctness and egalitarianism.

The day I get to be a patron at the Masters is by definition a great day.   It's the last place to hide from democracy run amok.

Greg,

That's just terrific.  The 2018 Masters, co-hosted by Kim Jung un and Vlad Putin...cause democracy is overrated!

Perfect!!

Joe Hancock

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2018, 08:24:03 PM »
I’m with Bill G.. I’ll gladly hear the term “patron” by whomever vs. shouts of “you da man” or “mashed potatoes”, which really seems to be the cause and effect here. The behavior by the “patrons” is unmatched in golf, in the most positive sense.

Thank you, Masters Commitees past, present and future.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Ira Fishman

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2018, 08:42:00 PM »
Patron is patronizing elitism. And we wonder why more Americans do not play golf. I really enjoy the Masters for the golf, but all the rest reeks of the Lost Cause and not in a positive way.

Ira

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2018, 09:26:15 PM »
They are mispronouncing it. they mean to say "patron" as in the tequila. Every one of them is a tequila.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

mike_beene

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2018, 12:51:54 AM »
You can dress this up all you want, but the image of Verne Lunquist hosting a local game show called Bowling for Dollars ruins the whole thing. I pull for him to say things like today's Dustin Thomas. He may be the only guest at Patrick Reeds victory party.

Ken Moum

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2018, 01:24:11 AM »
According to Golf Digest:

The use of the word traces to Clifford Roberts, Augusta National’s co-founder with Bobby Jones, who sought to distinguish spectators at the Masters because he saw them as more than butts in seats, but consumers of an experience—no different than regular patrons of a restaurant or an opera.[/size]“Roberts really did feel that it was the spectators who made the Masters possible—hence patrons,” says David Owen, author of the definitive history of Augusta National, The Making Of The Masters. “He wanted to remind everyone involved in the tournament that the focus had to be on constantly improving the experience for the people watching.”[/color]
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Eric Smith

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2018, 07:57:11 AM »
If I started taking piano lessons I reckon the first song I’d try to learn is the CBS Sports Masters theme. Just so I could vape to it and post the video on the JC Likes Men WhatsApp thread.

The whole schmeer is what makes it unique in the world of golf.

It does annoy me that Peter Kostis says  “judge” more than Porterhouse.

A 63 from Tommy Fleetwood could go a long way today.

Harbour Town weather looks perfect next weekend.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2018, 11:03:48 AM »
I was told today that "Dilly Dilly" is verboten at the Masters.

I'd read that at the start of the week, but I read another article today that says it's not so ... it's just Budweiser leveraging its ad campaign for more free attention.

Greg Beaulieu

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2018, 04:33:11 PM »
I've been churning through the Youtube archive of Masters final rounds and have not encountered the first year that "patrons" was used so far. To date I'm through 1990 with zero patrons, lots of "crowds" and "galleries" though.

Ian Galbraith

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2018, 05:47:59 PM »
and in a similar vein when did they start so religiously referring to the venue as "Augusta National" rather than just Augusta..one word too many in most sentences.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2018, 05:52:32 PM »
I heard a new one (to me) this week: “tournament practice area.”

Really, I don’t much care if they are called patrons or galleries or crowds. I don’t care if it is rough or second cut.

The only thing that bugs me is that the club apparently enforces its language dictates. Do they really think these announcers are gonna be disrespectful, if they are allowed to speak freely?
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

BHoover

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2018, 06:07:32 PM »
I heard a grandstand or bleachers referred to as a “patron observation area”.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back