News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Do the trees make Augusta...
« on: April 06, 2018, 01:02:42 PM »
Maybe we can thank modern HD TV, or shot tracker technology, but watching these guys work the ball left and right and low and high makes for exciting viewing. It would be a bore fest without the trees. See, these are what I call "recovery" shots.

Oh, I think these guys can work the modern ball.

Ben Sims

Re: Do the trees make Augusta...
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 02:05:41 PM »
Call me crazy, but this most modern version of Augusta seems to ask for a large variety of shots. Looks like a ton of fun.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 03:28:26 PM »
Maureen McGill just mentioned that it's the trees that makes the wind more difficult to judge. Cyclonic she said.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 05:33:40 PM »
I have always loved not just the shot shapes the guys hit at Augusta, but also that the trees and slopes of the course form natural backdrops that show the flight of those shots. Players today hit it too high at places like 13 tee, but Tiger's approach to 11 today was a perfect example.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 05:37:38 PM »
And somehow Bubba replicated the shot with a hook. Oh, and less than 50% of the players have found the fairway on 13. Thank you trees.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 05:45:38 PM »
I wish we had gotten a better shot to see the flight of Bubba's hook. It was amazing.

Is there a more demanding recovery in golf than the follow-thru into a tree?
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 06:08:32 PM »
No argument from me.
When Speith, Stenson, Rory, and Dustin are near the top and yet Couples, Langer, Singh and Zach are not far behind, a course must be doing just everything right.

I think maybe even great greens are made better with trees -- having to work the ball around trees on the first shot can lead to 2nd shots needing to be more carefully/skillfully worked to account for the green contours.

Not often mentioned when discussing modern-day width on tree-less sites.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 07:41:58 PM »
Seems adding trees in some locations was the only option left available to protect par on holes like 15, for example.

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Terry Lavin

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 08:33:25 PM »
The better the maintenance, the better the setup, the better the strategic tree planting, the more it looks like a video game. And plays like one.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 08:57:55 PM »
That is a great analogy. This weekend we will see why video games are rarely played outdoors. I do love this leader board and field. Tiger, as most old men are, will be asked to perform on a Saturday morning. I hope he comes through as the weather sets in. A story to end all stories and end any talk of what is "wrong" with the game.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 09:16:50 PM »
An interesting thought.

Haven't been to Augusta, but it seems like the elevation changes, and green complexes, are key elements of what makes the course so challenging.

That being said, no doubt that the trees make the golfer shape the ball and control trajectory in a way that they don't have to on a weekly basis.

Would love to push back on the value of the trees, but Augusta is definitely the sum of the parts.

Curious to know what the pros are shooting on the original MacKenzie track in an alternate dimension.  ;D

Mark_Fine

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 10:31:27 PM »
Unlike Oakmont which had no trees on the site when it was built, Augusta’s site was an arboretum.  Both courses require the golfer to play all kinds of shaped shots (Oakmont is far better without all the trees).  However, the trees are Augusta are essential to the golf course and have always been a major design element adding to the strategy of the course.   That said, there are places where I disagree with the added tree planting’s such as on #15.  Years ago trees were added on the right to narrow the landing area.  They also tightened up the right side of #17 in the process.  The new trees block long range views back to clubhouse,...   I would have much preferred to see a Mackenzie style bunker in that area.  It would have served as a much better hazard and lead to more interesting shot making especially into #15.  Who wants to see the pros pitch back out to the fairway vs have a 230 yard bunker shot that tempts them to still attack the green in two.  It would force them to make a decision vs have it made for them. 

But overall trees do add to the shot making at Augusta as the site dictated. 

jeffwarne

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 11:25:32 PM »
Maybe we can thank modern HD TV, or shot tracker technology, but watching these guys work the ball left and right and low and high makes for exciting viewing. It would be a bore fest without the trees. See, these are what I call "recovery" shots.

Oh, I think these guys can work the modern ball.

Absolutely.Augusta has always been about creative recovery.
Tha said, some limbing up would produce even better golf as players would chip out less and spectators would be able to see more. Many of the new pines have branches nearly down to the ground.
and taking out a few trees(or limbing up) in the newly enchanted forests on 1,7,11,13 and 15/17 would give more Bubba like attempts with many ending up in the water etc.
and 18 is a mess-especially left.

OT-Sandy Lyle's no Bernhard, but he's still got a lot of game-good to see him playing better and he is not short
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jeff Schley

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2018, 01:43:58 AM »
Augusta's main defense is the green complexes, but closely after that are the trees.  We see courses criticized here for adding trees to their course and aggressive tree removal programs are praised, however Augusta's footprint has always entailed trees.  Just look at Sven's thread on the photos/drawings of the history of the course.  13 requires a draw or you are punching out from the pine straw if you hit a straight ball, the guys who can draw it get a rather large advantage on that hole.  Guys that can't need to be honest with themselves and minimize the damage because the pines are staring at them in the face.

Trees are needed at Augusta and applaud the decision to add more over the last 15-20 years, however I don't think they need anymore at this point.  Length on 13/15 perhaps, but not pinching the driving area even more.  I mean 18 has added some 40-60 yards over the years as well and I think just right length wise, if they lose it right they have problems, or overcook it and hook left.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Thomas Dai

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2018, 06:13:19 AM »
... however Augusta's footprint has always entailed trees.  Just look at Sven's thread on the photos/drawings of the history of the course.
Not sure I entirely go along with this, especially if you look closely at the photos from the 1930's. Even those photos taken in the '60's and later show openness where there is now none.
Indeed my recollection is that until ANGC decided to 'Tiger-proof' it, the course was regarded, along with TOC, as the most wide open course on the Major rota, a place where long and wild had the opportunity prosper.
atb

Jeff Schley

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2018, 06:23:46 AM »
... however Augusta's footprint has always entailed trees.  Just look at Sven's thread on the photos/drawings of the history of the course.
Not sure I entirely go along with this, especially if you look closely at the photos from the 1930's. Even those photos taken in the '60's and later show openness where there is now none.
Indeed my recollection is that until ANGC decided to 'Tiger-proof' it, the course was regarded, along with TOC, as the most wide open course on the Major rota, a place where long and wild had the opportunity prosper.
atb

I think part of that reputation was that there was no rough until then as well.  So now with defined fairways the trees become much more of an obstacle.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2018, 07:57:02 AM »
Capricious, the winds.

As capricious with fewer trees?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

mike_malone

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2018, 03:47:12 PM »
The trees make it something other than Augusta. I don’t have a problem testing the skills of pros but it makes the course like your local muni that plants evergreens everywhere.
AKA Mayday

mike_malone

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2018, 05:14:39 PM »
 John,

You can either have the shots from the trees or shots from the open spaces. I’ll take the open spaces and you can have the trees.
AKA Mayday

Jason Thurman

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2018, 06:01:24 PM »
Why choose? Augusta offers both.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2018, 06:42:39 PM »
That was as close to perfect as entertainment can get. Thank you trees.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2018, 08:36:52 PM »
There are courses like Augusta where trees belong (not wall to wall trees) but they belong there and most add to the golf course.  I'd like to see a few less in certain spots but no clear cutting.  That is the beauty of golf - varied landscapes.  What other sports have playing fields as different as Sand Hills vs Sahalee!  Anyone who says they should plant trees at Sand Hills or cut them all down at Sahalee frankly doesn't have a clue  ???

Embrace diversity  :) 

mike_malone

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2018, 08:42:55 PM »
Why choose? Augusta offers both.

Which of the two types  are more important to the outcome? The ones from the trees are almost always to just get back into play while the shots from the open determine the tournament.
AKA Mayday

Jason Thurman

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2018, 09:30:01 PM »
https://goo.gl/images/DRKMzf
[/size][/color]
[/size]https://goo.gl/images/yATaYj[/color]
[/size][/color]
[/size]https://goo.gl/images/2jjrX2[/color]
[/size][/color]
[/size]https://goo.gl/images/UUzQrS[/color]
[/size][/color]
[/size]*Insert Leishman gif here*[/color]
[/size][/color]
[/size]Sorry for the shitty formatting.[/color]

mike_malone

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2018, 10:18:03 PM »
https://goo.gl/images/DRKMzf

https://goo.gl/images/yATaYj

https://goo.gl/images/2jjrX2

https://goo.gl/images/UUzQrS

*Insert Leishman gif here*

Sorry for the shitty formatting.

Jason,

That’s some nice work on your part. Other than Bubba’s famous shot on ten the trees aren’t very important in the others. The trees may even have made the shots easier. Phil used the tree as an aid to his aiming.
AKA Mayday

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back