News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Shamleffer

Additional access to Augusta National
« on: April 04, 2018, 11:24:22 AM »
It appears that Fred Ridley just announced that Augusta National will host (co-host?) a women's am event next year, with the final round played at Augusta National on Sat before Masters, and will be open to public.
This may create a great opportunity to gain access to walk the course, for those who have never had the pleasure.

There will be a lottery for tickets, but being a new event, and an am event, might be less demand for tickets as opposed to the Master's practice rounds.

Could turn out to be the ideal means to walking the course for architecture enthusiasts who do not want to pay hundreds of $ to otherwise walk August National.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 11:29:33 AM by Bill Shamleffer »
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Brad Tufts

Re: Additional access to Augusta National
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 11:30:57 AM »
Surprising that it will be that close to the tournament, although I guess a limited final-round field won't create a huge number of divots...
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Howard Riefs

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 11:40:02 AM »
Here's the press release from ANGC:

http://www.masters.com/en_US/news/articles/2018-04-04/2018-04-04_chairman_fred_ridley_announces_augusta_national_womens_amateur_championship.html?promo=article_next

54 holes. "In 2019, the first two rounds will take place at Champions Retreat Golf Club in Augusta. After a cut to the low 30 scores, the final competitive round will take place at Augusta National on Saturday, April 6, when an amateur champion will be crowned for the first time ever at the home of the Masters."
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Jeff Schley

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 12:04:59 PM »
Great idea and I had suspected ANGC would be a trendsetter again like in the last 10 years.  Rebranding themselves yet again.  Don't rule out a masters ball I'm tellin ya.)
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

BHoover

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 12:10:25 PM »
Does a ticket to the Amateur entitle the holder to Masters tournament access? Will the merchandise area be open, and will Masters-branded apparel be available, during the Amateur?

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 12:31:59 PM »
A Masters ball would invade an area outside their paradigm. They host tournaments; they do not influence equipment.

I'm putting together a piece for GolfWRX right now. It delves into filling gaps in tournament schedules, something that ANGC has done nicely, as mentioned above.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 12:36:48 PM »
Ronald,

With all due respect, ANGC can do whatever the hell they want in terms of influence or otherwise.  As far as I can tell, they rarely bow to anyone outside the circle of green jackets.  To me it makes most sense for them to introduce a tourney ball...

Alex Miller

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 12:47:55 PM »
I don't know if ANGC will host a women's Masters one day. In fact, I think not. But I do wonder if they'd host a tournament akin to the PGA Grand Slam of Golf for women, inviting the best women out there for a round or two at Augusta once a year as an unofficial exhibition to continue growth of the game and showcase their skills at Augusta. Played from the members' tees for a fun event it would likely produce some entertaining shots and much goodwill.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 12:51:14 PM »
30 players, only fifteen twosomes.

I'll bet ticket numbers will be very low.

WW

George Pazin

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 12:56:48 PM »
Ronald,

With all due respect, ANGC can do whatever the hell they want in terms of influence or otherwise.  As far as I can tell, they rarely bow to anyone outside the circle of green jackets.  To me it makes most sense for them to introduce a tourney ball...

I don't believe Ron meant they CAN'T do it, merely that they most likely WOULDN'T do it.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2018, 01:40:51 PM »
30 players, only fifteen twosomes.

I'll bet ticket numbers will be very low.

WW
Are they cutting to 30 and ties? That's a bit of a bummer. I'd hoped all 72 might make the cut, or at least 40 to 50.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

JESII

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2018, 01:50:47 PM »
Gotta say, this is an unbelievably cool thing for them to do.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2018, 02:11:39 PM »
Good for them. This is a huge advance from where they were. It also speaks well for them have prior to the Masters, not the week after.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2018, 02:17:41 PM »
Good for them. This is a huge advance from where they were. It also speaks well for them have prior to the Masters, not the week after.
And early enough that the coverage can lead into the third round of the Dinah Shore rather than compete with it.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2018, 02:26:32 PM »
And early enough that the coverage can lead into the third round of the Dinah Shore rather than compete with it.

It will cause some of the amateur ladies in the Dinah Shore to choose which tourney to play in however that week starting next year.  Not sure there would be much of a choice as I'm sure the Augusta championship would win out. 
- Steve Prefontaine

Cal Seifert

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2018, 02:27:19 PM »
This will surely change women's college golf season quite drastically as I believe this would fall in the middle of the season.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2018, 02:36:29 PM »
Ronald,

The great thing about Augusta National is that they don't give two shits what you think makes sense.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2018, 02:37:37 PM »

A Masters ball would invade an area outside their paradigm. They host tournaments; they do not influence equipment.

Maybe they put top women on the championship tees, and chart the results so they can see what a reduced flight golf ball would look like on ANGC.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Jeff Schley

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2018, 02:48:38 PM »
In Ridley's press conference he was asked point blank what the club's stance is on the distance issue and he said they want to work with the USGA and R&A for a collective solution as they feel that is the best way.  However, he did preface it by saying we will always do what is needed to maintain the shot values of our course.  Sounds like they are pretty clear that the status quo right now isn't working and the reason they need the USGA/R&A to act collectively is for either a ball change or equipment change.  Building it bigger has reached it's limit so it appears. 

BTW he also said we want to grow the game, thus we are sensitive to making the game harder, thus I'm thinking bifurcation.
- Steve Prefontaine

Peter Flory

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2018, 02:58:27 PM »
Well, I will tune in. 

Sort of relating to the curiosity of seeing how PGA tour players would play various courses, I'm equally curious to see it the other way.  i.e. how would women play Augusta.  We're so used to seeing solve the challenges there with the same solutions, that it will be refreshing to see a different style of play there.  Hopefully they televise all 18 holes and not just the back nine. 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2018, 03:14:03 PM »
Ronald,

The great thing about Augusta National is that they don't give two shits what you think makes sense.

Jason,

100% agree here!

I was only thinking it makes sense for them because they got so bent out of shape when Tiger destroyed the course for his 1st major win....(and everyone since then who has been hitting driver wedge into everything).  They've added tons of distance to the course in reaction, so I can only guess that they really do care.

Sure they can afford to keep adding distance, but maybe they'll want to try something different in the form of a flight limited ball.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 03:17:54 PM by Kalen Braley »

John_Cullum

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2018, 03:38:06 PM »
Good for them. This is a huge advance from where they were.

And exactly where were they?
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Jim Nugent

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2018, 03:44:11 PM »

Maybe they put top women on the championship tees, and chart the results so they can see what a reduced flight golf ball would look like on ANGC.

This will surprise me: I think the course from the tips will eat them up.  Their courses typically max out around 6500 to 6700 yards.  I don't think they have ever played a 7000 yard course, much less a 7400+ monster (for them), with constantly changing uphill/downhill/sidehill lies and water lurking around so many corners.

Haven't some of the top women golfers played ANGC?  That would tell the club how they can handle the course. 

PCCraig

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2018, 03:57:05 PM »
Gotta say, this is an unbelievably cool thing for them to do.

I agree. Really wonderful. Between this event and the Drive, Chip, and Putt the Sunday before the tournament they are doing all the right things for the game of golf.
H.P.S.

Eric LeFante

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2018, 03:57:24 PM »
I guess Augusta didn't want to go all the way and have a Ladies Masters and give up their course for another week.....it seems like this amateur event will make the LPGA players almost more unhappy that they don't get to be on this stage. Odd that the first 36 holes is at a different course and the final 18 holes is cut to 30 players to play at Augusta. I think you are putting the women who played well the first 36 holes in an odd postion, trying to win a prestigious event on a different golf course: not just any other course, but Augusta National.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 04:01:45 PM by Eric LeFante »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back