News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

Looking forward to seeing a lot of unmet potential realised in the next few years.

First things first, the local council needs the green on the iconic sixth hole moved left (toward the cliff) away from the public right-of-way — certainly an exciting hole to start on and maybe more than any other hole in the course is an example of a hole that falls short of its land and setting.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 05:23:45 AM by Scott Warren »

Jeff Schley

Re: Congrats Tom Doak: new consulting Architect at NSWGC
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 04:07:20 AM »
is this New South Wales I assume?  Sorry I'm American and after trying to rack my brain of fitting it into the USA went down under. ;D
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 04:40:04 AM »
Jeff the rest of the world spends its time wondering if there is a golfing world outside the USA and Tiger. Another thread talks about a course referred to as Black not a scouby which course they are referring to.

The 6th at NSW must be the world’s poorest hole v quality of site.
Cave Nil Vino

Scott Warren

Re: Congrats Tom Doak: new Consulting Architect at New South Wales GC
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 05:51:34 AM »
Fair point, Jeff. Have amended thread title.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 06:33:51 AM »

First things first, the local council needs the green on the iconic sixth hole moved left (toward the cliff) away from the public right-of-way — certainly an exciting hole to start on and maybe more than any other hole in the course is an example of a hole that falls short of its land and setting.

Scott,

From the very far, this has always been iconic to me, but it is #5 correct?

Can you post a pic of what you are talking about for #6 ?

UPDATED:

« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 01:53:33 PM by Mike Sweeney »
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Scott Warren

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 08:26:07 AM »
Mike,

The path visible in this picture is part of a lengthy, and increasingly busy, public coastal walk:

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRbhQ3zYlXRGQRUI28M1hjT-JVeEC-w4js7PCgnZnOgZ74n2S1Dga8qOPMCKw

Randwick City Council wants the green further from the path for safety reasons, and so it has to go closer to the cliff.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 02:07:51 PM »
I better hustle back over there to see the course one last time before all of Greg Norman's brilliant work is lost.

Congrats Tom (and Scott).

Greg Gilson

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 04:51:00 PM »

Congratulations to Tom & Renaissance!

One of the world's unique courses and one of my big time personal favourites. I am sure Tom & his team will work with a gentle hand and make this jewel shine even brighter.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 04:53:26 PM »
Jeff the rest of the world spends its time wondering if there is a golfing world outside the USA and Tiger. Another thread talks about a course referred to as Black not a scouby which course they are referring to.

The 6th at NSW must be the world’s poorest hole v quality of site.

This notion of making it a death or glory cliffside shot would ruin the hole since it would take away the option of missing the green on the ocean side, which offers a much more manageable recovery shot than missing it to the right.

So increase the optics and take away the strategy.. and you'll be happy?
Next!

Alan Ritchie

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 04:58:09 PM »
The hole does lack something given the site, as an armchair architect I would love to see a Redan type green in there..
or even a Biarritz!

Scott Warren

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 06:17:44 PM »
Anthony,

Were Tom Doak likely to simply recreate the current green complex on the edge of the cliff you might have a good point, but I suspect he will design a new green complex that takes into account the fact that you can no longer miss left.

corey miller

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2018, 06:49:22 PM »

Are there that many people walking the course that it would not be feasible for the golfers on #6 to simply wait?

Seems on an 18 hole course the par 3 holes would be the least problematic for safety?

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2018, 09:24:49 PM »
Congratulations Tom and your team. A great appointment, and an exciting time for NSWGC. Really looking forward to seeing the course improve in the coming years.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 07:02:50 AM by Matthew Mollica »
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Anthony Butler

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2018, 12:05:30 AM »
Anthony,

Were Tom Doak likely to simply recreate the current green complex on the edge of the cliff you might have a good point, but I suspect he will design a new green complex that takes into account the fact that you can no longer miss left.

That's true, Scott... if the Council and the other govt. entities involved are intent on making the club completely relocate the green it will be difficult, if not impossible, to preserve the current playing characteristics of the hole.

I always viewed that scenario as a false choice in terms of a safety issue... Admittedly I haven't been home in a few years, but I never experienced playing from the 6th tee as hitting into a bunch of non-golfing visitors streaming along the path - unaware and uncaring of the fact that ball traveling at 75mph might be about to take them out.

The vast majority of these folks stay back from the green area until your group has hit from the team... And since New South Wales is not in America, I've yet to hear a 'Get in the hole' or a "Bababooey" from any of them. ;)

I

Next!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2018, 03:40:50 AM »
Thanks to all for the good wishes.

Beyond that, I can't really say much because I'm not yet sure what our mission is.  It's obviously not as straightforward as The Valley Club where we restored MacKenzie's design ... some of NSW's most celebrated holes (including the 6th) are the work of Eric Apperly.  So our first step is to help sort out what the mission should be.

I do agree with Anthony that the 6th gets a bit of a bum rap.  If not for the council project I don't know if I would have proposed changing it, and I've already told the club that we can't move the green over as far as the drawing I saw.  What few seem to grasp is that the more the green moves left, the more of a forced carry you have, and the less room you have to stop the shot before it's into the big slope behind the green.  Combining that with a super-windy setting makes for a difficult balancing act.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2018, 03:53:31 PM »
Tom,

From what you know so far, how much bunker restoration or re-do is in the works?  From the pictures I've seen, looks like that site would really benefit from some well placed MacK style bunkers to both intimidate and provide risk reward...

SL_Solow

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2018, 05:51:23 PM »
Reading Tom's post I am reminded why most of us are amateurs and how many practical problems the professionals see which temper their ability to be creative.  All the more reason to appreciate the creativity that so many of them manage to get into the ground while working their way through these "details".

Anthony Butler

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2018, 08:48:29 AM »
I do agree with Anthony that the 6th gets a bit of a bum rap.  If not for the council project I don't know if I would have proposed changing it, and I've already told the club that we can't move the green over as far as the drawing I saw.  What few seem to grasp is that the more the green moves left, the more of a forced carry you have, and the less room you have to stop the shot before it's into the big slope behind the green.  Combining that with a super-windy setting makes for a difficult balancing act.
Tom... I agree with your thoughts and would add that my first reaction to the drawing you referenced is some people connected to the club were using the council project as an excuse to put their own design thoughts on the table so as to speak.

Obviously the amount of earth it would take to recreate the current green near the ocean edge would be both impractical and unlikely to gain approval from whoever controls that stretch of coastline. One thing that always stuck out to me playing the hole is how much better and more interesting the shot from the island tee is versus the one on land... which is just a straight shot up a slight rise with anything from an 8 iron to a 5 iron depending on the wind.

Since 90% of the play is from that tee, I'm hoping that your work might address that situation.   
Next!

Scott Warren

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2018, 05:58:10 AM »
90% of play is from which tee?

On comp days (Sat, Sun, Wed), men can choose to play Blue or White tees and I’d estimate it’s at least 80/20 Blues/Whites, plus the corporates on a Tuesday always play the island tee.

Obviously all Red tee play is from the “mainland” tee, but in terms of the men, very few elect to play from there.

But given the green complex was designed in the 40s for the mainland tee and the island tee was then added in the 70s - 40m left and 30m back, it’s not surprising that there’s a major difference in how it plays.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 06:28:02 AM by Scott Warren »

Anthony Butler

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2018, 10:40:12 PM »
90% of play is from which tee?

On comp days (Sat, Sun, Wed), men can choose to play Blue or White tees and I’d estimate it’s at least 80/20 Blues/Whites, plus the corporates on a Tuesday always play the island tee.

Obviously all Red tee play is from the “mainland” tee, but in terms of the men, very few elect to play from there.

But given the green complex was designed in the 40s for the mainland tee and the island tee was then added in the 70s - 40m left and 30m back, it’s not surprising that there’s a major difference in how it plays.

Scott - I'm going to say the truth lies somewhere between your 80% and my 90%. Let's say women represent 20% of total rounds and about 40% of the men use the white tees for various reasons.. That's about 50/50 overall split.
Ironically, apart from the obvious aesthetic benefits, the green also plays a lot better from the island tee than the mainland, despite the fact it was initially designed to be played from the mainland.

I think you'll find prior to Greg Norman doing work on the course, there have been a few updates to the green since the island tee went into play. The only thing of significance I can remember happening since the 90s is some work on the two bunkers to the right of the green.. The only work I recall one the green itself was re-establishing the original size of the green.. if memory serves correctly the front section of the green particularly was a little smaller when I first started playing there with my grandfather in the 70s.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 10:43:27 PM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back