News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Gallant

OT-ish: The University Match
« on: March 22, 2018, 05:10:43 AM »
One of GCA's own, Conley Hurst, will be playing in The University Match this weekend as Oxford takes on rivals Cambridge for the 123rd time. The match will be contested at Royal Porthcawl on Saturday, 23 March, and Sunday 24 March. I believe foursomes will be the format of the day on the Saturday, while Singles will be played on the Sunday.

Spectators are welcomed, so it may be a good opportunity to see some of the best young amateurs playing one of the best links courses in the world!

Good luck to both sides.

BHoover

Re: OT-ish: The University Match
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 09:58:13 AM »
I attended a summer program at Oxford while in law school, so does that make me an Oxford man?

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 10:02:43 AM »
I attended a summer program at Oxford while in law school, so does that make me an Oxford man?

It's good enough. We'll have you, you are hereby enrolled in the GCA Dark Blue Faction (founders -- me and Mark Pearce, although I have wondered whether Pearce should be expelled for the crime of allowing his son to go to Cambridge...)
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

jeffwarne

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 10:37:52 AM »
I love that anyone would play anything of any relevance...

....in March

another reason to love the links
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 10:38:55 AM »
I love that anyone would play anything of any relevance...

....in March

another reason to love the links

Hell, the university old boys are even hardier... they play the President's Putter at Rye in January!
Adam Lawrence

Conley Hurst

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 04:15:40 PM »
One of GCA's own, Conley Hurst, will be playing in The University Match this weekend as Oxford takes on rivals Cambridge for the 123rd time. The match will be contested at Royal Porthcawl on Saturday, 23 March, and Sunday 24 March. I believe foursomes will be the format of the day on the Saturday, while Singles will be played on the Sunday.

Thank you for the shoutout, Tim! The Varsity Match is an incredible event, and it is an honour to be a part of it. Royal Porthcawl has been a gracious host, and the course is in fantastic shape given the harsh last couple of months.

The games will actually begin TOMORROW, Friday 23 March, with foursomes, and continue with singles on Saturday 24 March. Hope to see a few GCA folks there!

And it's actually the 129th playing...  ;D

Matt Dawson

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 05:24:05 PM »

It's good enough. We'll have you, you are hereby enrolled in the GCA Dark Blue Faction (founders -- me and Mark Pearce, although I have wondered whether Pearce should be expelled for the crime of allowing his son to go to Cambridge...)

Proud Light Blue here. It's a great week, with the Ladies match, Divots vs Stymies (2nd teams), Dinner match and University match. Great fun and good golf.

Good luck to all involved. Be careful in town after the dinner in black tie...

Mark Pearce

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 06:59:12 PM »

You know the shame I feel having a Tab in the family but you won't let it go.  Have some pity, man.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Richard Fisher

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 03:24:22 AM »
As a dark blue with a light blue pension I remain utterly unconflicted in my desire to see OUGC win, and to reverse the result of the famous encounter at RPGC fifty years ago. I am going down tomorrow (for the singles) and look forward to seeing some GCA chums there and welcoming them to Porthcawl: the forecast looks (at the moment) positively reasonable. These university foursome and singles matches are amongst the last 36 hole encounters left in captivity, certainly in the UK.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 04:44:59 AM »
I told Conley when caddying for him and his father at Sandwich he’d make the team, congratulations.

The real event at Royal Porthcawl starts on Monday I’m playing for the MCC in the annual two day Quadrangular Match!
Cave Nil Vino

Tim Gallant

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 04:46:58 AM »

Thank you for the shoutout, Tim! The Varsity Match is an incredible event, and it is an honour to be a part of it. Royal Porthcawl has been a gracious host, and the course is in fantastic shape given the harsh last couple of months.

The games will actually begin TOMORROW, Friday 23 March, with foursomes, and continue with singles on Saturday 24 March. Hope to see a few GCA folks there!

And it's actually the 129th playing...  ;D

Two errors! Sheesh - I'm certainly not good at advertising! Best of luck to both sides starting today.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2018, 05:21:51 PM »
Any news on the day 1 score?
Cave Nil Vino

Tim Gallant

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2018, 06:00:55 PM »
After the first day, it appears Cambridge are leading 3.5 to 1.5 heading into tomorrow’s singles matches.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2018, 06:43:03 PM »
I see Cambridge are also buying the dinner after a 3-0 loss in the dinner match.
Cave Nil Vino

Richard Fisher

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2018, 11:23:57 AM »
In the end Cambridge won quite comfortably, 9.5 to 5.5. There was a flurry of Oxford excitement in the middle of Saturday afternoon, when briefly the tide seemed to be turning, but Cambridge played the 36th hole better at key moments and emerged worthy winners, breaking a long run of dark blue success. Trying to emulate Francis Ouimet in the early days of the Walker Cup, I can recognise that this was good for the fixture...
Yesterday (Sunday) morning Porthcawl was one of the most gorgeous places for a game of golf on the planet, in crisp spring sunshine with crisp, firm fairways.

BHoover

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2018, 11:39:19 AM »
I’m so ashamed to be an Oxford man this morning.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2018, 11:52:10 AM »
I’m so ashamed to be an Oxford man this morning.

We got humped in the Boat Race too. A bad weekend for civilisation.
Adam Lawrence

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2018, 01:23:22 PM »
MCC won 3-1 this afternoon and through to final of the quadrandular match. Porthcawl benign and in fine condition.
Cave Nil Vino

Conley Hurst

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2018, 09:25:50 AM »
Despite the result, it was an unbelievable week. Thankfully, I actually played quite well and won my singles. But, like Richard said, Oxford didn't play the final hole well, and that cost us two or three points coming down the stretch. All credit to the Tabs, though. They putted beautifully and were deserving victors.

I encourage everyone to try to make it out to Royal Porthcawl soon. It played beautifully for the match, and Martin Ebert is overseeing some fine adjustments to the bunker scheme. Such a special place.   

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back