News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Streamsong (Blue) profile posted ... New
« on: March 24, 2018, 05:22:33 PM »
... under Courses by Country.

Here is the link: http://golfclubatlas.com/streamsong-blue/

What subject matters have you NOT posted on?

Whatever they might be, Streamsong is unlikely to be one of them as it has been one of the most popular subject matters on this Discussion Group since the first two courses opened. Indeed, I feel compelled to apologize in advance for about the ~100th course tour!

Seriously though, if you think about what topics you have shied away from posting, it is generally out of ignorance (though not always  ;D ) or antipathy. I believe that this may be my first post on golf in Florida, the shortcomings of which - lack of topography, sticky grasses, housing, cart golf - are well known. That kind of soulless golf helped prompt my brother and me to chronicle other more meaningful forms of the game, and birth this web site. But, like so many places (Nebraska, Tasmania, New Zealand, Wisconsin, Nova Scotia, on and on) since this web site went live, something has come along that busts all preconceptions. 

I am talking about Streamsong, and in particular the Blue Course profile which we take live today. Superior land movement (both micro and macro), a great, textured environment with big dunes, walker-friendly with no asphalt in sight, and grasses conducive to good golf, all shatter the drawbacks of Florida golf.  Importantly, the land movement at Streamsong shines on all three courses because the resort does NOT over-seed. Dormant Bermuda plays beautifully this time of year and the motley fairways seen throughout the profile are proof positive.

The gorgeous fairways play as good as they l

Of course, everyone knows all that as so many people have been there. Streamsong ticks the boxes that compel people to visit and leave with a desire to return. That’s a very neat trick and the greatest compliment that Mosaic could have ever hoped to receive. It has something that’s missing at TPC-Sawgrass, which I last saw it in 1987. Walking past empty manufactured hills with bleachers cut into them isn't my idea of connecting with nature.

This massive Megalodon jaw found on property is a reminder of the time when the site was ocean and massive dunes.

Yes, Streamsong redefines the possibilities for golf in the state but I don't want to overdo the geographic tie. Good golf still boils down to the same things everywhere in the word, namely the playing conditions and the holes themselves. Ultimately, a great course must possess great holes. To that end, I would nominate the 4th and 17th for Tom Doak's eclectic best and probably 18 also. Holes 6, 8 (seen in the first photo above), 11, and 13 are other clear standouts for consideration.

Nearly as important, I don't know which hole is the worst. Personally, I don't like climbing to the 1st tee but the view is special, and I get why it's there. Same for 7 - you had to build it, but the green (more than the detour) makes people go berserk. I like that though - a golf architect's job is to provide irritants. Overall, I differ from others in that I consider the greens on the Blue among Doak’s best set as the range is top drawer, from those that shun the ball (e.g. 6, 11) to those that gather (e.g. 16, 18). 

While other media struggles, GolfClubAtlas thrives. Why? Because we stick to a subject matter in which reasoned people can take either side of an argument. In the case of Streamsong, you are asked to pick your favorite flavor of ice cream not from two selections but from three. Hard for that to grow stale! Tom Doak's own recent thread on Streamsong exhaustively explored the subject and proved the point.

Thank goodness that quality architecture open to all (Bandon, Cabot, Streamsong, Barnbougle, etc.) came along on the heels of the internet as it gives us all something meaningful to discuss and dissect. To me, it never gets old (unlike the Megalodon  8) ).

Best,
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 09:27:49 AM by Ran Morrissett »

Peter Flory

Re: Streamsong (Blue) profile posted ...
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 05:55:49 PM »
 ;D

Fantastic write up! 

We're in a mini golden age. 

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 08:22:59 PM »
In the review, it is nice that you give credit to Rusty and Kyle.

Between summer rains, phosphate legacy, and hurricane season, those courses can't be easy to maintain. For the first 5 year or so, I made 1-2 trips per year (tied to Disney trips) to Streamsong ranging from Labor Day to Easter, and the courses were always in great shape. They are monster courses on a huge property (need to see Black), and they were always in great shape.

Sure they have a budget, but when I played with Kyle, he was NOT checking his phone, he was taking notes on every hole for changes that needed to be done or updated.

I love the two cuts, the lack of rough, the integration of the natural Florida terrain. Pretty sure it is the perfect "maintenance meld" for me.

And when SS got called out for the $12 hotdog, they adjusted :)  Love it!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 08:27:22 PM by Mike Sweeney »
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Carl Rogers

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 09:17:54 PM »
(course description, 3rd hole), when describing the 7th at Riverfront, the author might have been confused with the 5th hole.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 10:34:52 PM »
(course description, 3rd hole), when describing the 7th at Riverfront, the author might have been confused with the 5th hole.

Both holes ar Riverfront call for playing to the outside of the dogleg to get at certain hole locations, but Ran had checked with me and I'm pretty sure it was the 7th he was describing. 

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 05:00:37 AM »
Thanks for another comprehensive profile.

A question, an education, about the grass and how it plays......if you attempt a low trajectory 5-6-7 iron long chip come pitch and run landing it say 5-20 yds short of the green will be ball release and bump and trickle out onto and up the putting surface or upon landing will the ball ‘stick’ in the grass rather then release?

Atb

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 07:47:41 AM »

A question, an education, about the grass and how it plays......if you attempt a low trajectory 5-6-7 iron long chip come pitch and run landing it say 5-20 yds short of the green will be ball release and bump and trickle out onto and up the putting surface or upon landing will the ball ‘stick’ in the grass rather then release?

Atb

It will do so at Streamsong more than almost any other warm season grass venue I've seen (only Wolf Point under Don Mahaffey's care could compete). When the grass has just gone dormant (ie at the start of the winter), it is actually a brilliant surface, firm and running. The problem is that when you have lots of play in winter, the grass gets a beating and it isn't growing so it doesn't recover, and by the end of the winter it is frankly a bit of a mess. This (along with the aesthetic issue of not liking the colour of dormant grass) why many warm season venues oversees with rye during the winter. The further south you are the shorter the period of winter dormancy.

I haven't played Streamsong in the summer. I believe that it will still continue to roll out quite nicely, because of the way Rusty and co take care of it. But it will be stickier for sure.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Jack Davis

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 04:19:20 PM »
I was fortunate to play all three courses at Streamsong last week. Four years ago I made the trip to play Red and Blue and left thinking I enjoyed the Red Course better. After a windy few days this past week, most of group left favoring the Blue. I think in the wind the width of the fairways, variety of the greens and architecture was highlighted. All 3 courses are such a treat and I could play them all over and over!
Jack Davis, PGA
Essex County Club

Jim Franklin

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 09:20:16 AM »
Nice write up. My favorite green was the fifth. So much variety in pin placements. Fun fun fun.

I hope to get to the Black soon though.
Mr Hurricane

JC Jones

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 12:45:39 PM »
Front runner for the worst/least true opening paragraph of a course profile.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 04:57:56 PM »
I enjoyed the write-up very much, especially since it is a course I've played a few times now.

If you wish even more pictures, I have them.   ;D

This album has smaller, more compressed photos:

http://www.myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/StreamsongBlue/index.html

While this new server I have access to has very large, less compressed versions:

http://www80.homepage.villanova.edu/joseph.bausch/images/albums/StreamsongBlue/

Enjoy!
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Ryan Coles

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2018, 09:10:51 AM »
Too many people love these courses to suggest that they aren't terrific.

Perhaps they don't photograph well. Normally many of the courses featured make me go wow, would love to play there. But the Streamsong ones just don't for me.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2018, 12:26:00 PM »
Too many people love these courses to suggest that they aren't terrific.

Perhaps they don't photograph well. Normally many of the courses featured make me go wow, would love to play there. But the Streamsong ones just don't for me.

Ouch!

;)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Philip Hensley

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2018, 02:37:28 PM »

Atb

I "putted" with a 3-wood anywhere from 90-140 yards off the greens and was able to get the ball there.

And I witnessed Joe Bausch hit a "cut putt" from about 140 yards where the ball went about 80-90 in the air and the rest along the ground.

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2018, 03:33:13 PM »

Atb

I "putted" with a 3-wood anywhere from 90-140 yards off the greens and was able to get the ball there.

And I witnessed Joe Bausch hit a "cut putt" from about 140 yards where the ball went about 80-90 in the air and the rest along the ground.

I assume this is after you put down your sand bag.
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2018, 06:26:50 PM »
Nice write up Ran.

I want to be overly critical of the Blue because I think it is so good and hands down the best course at the resort. I have two  questions and the first has been asked over and over but I feel that it is important.

#1. is the 7th hole worth it to you, would you miss it?

#2 Is Tom Doak asking too much from a resort golfer on the front 9?

I can foresee a lot of pinball action around the greens. The bunkering is beautiful but asking the average golfer to hit 15-30 yard bunker shots to some of these elevated greens seems like quite the challenge.  I think it is a great test for a good player but I would have liked to see a few more receptive greens on the front.

I feel like this is one of Tom's best courses and would put it up there with Pacific, Old Mac, and Rock Creek.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back