News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Martin

Re: Successful change from Private to Public Golf Clubs
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2018, 09:21:17 AM »
What I never fully grasped is why big name clubs allow raters to roll in. 

Everybody loves list!

I know you don't, and I wish I could say I am above it, but I am not. However, the list are repetitive at this point so it is a dated conversation for me.

I think it would be tough to say that Sean doesn’t have some affinity for lists in that he is a panelist for a magazine that produces them.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2018, 09:23:52 AM »
If Ballyneal was for sale what would you estimate being ranked 100 over 101 in the world by Golf Digest to be worth?  Without question at least $100,000. Top 100 world is the nut. As the saying goes...You either kiss rater ass or you get kissed goodbye.

Sean_A

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2018, 09:37:32 AM »
If Ballyneal was for sale what would you estimate being ranked 100 over 101 in the world by Golf Digest to be worth?  Without question at least $100,000. Top 100 world is the nut. As the saying goes...You either kiss rater ass or you get kissed goodbye.

JakaB

Sorry, I was thinking of big as the serious big guns. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2018, 09:40:11 AM »
I know but the fall of Sand Hills is a tragedy. With the influx of Passport Panelists no one is safe.

Dave Taylor

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2018, 04:12:02 PM »

I think you lot have the entirely wrong concept about private.  If a club is privately owned it can choose who it allows to play, for which reasons and for how much money.  This idea of no unaccompanied visitors is not the measure of privacy...privacy is choosing to do as they wish...and even that position has been eroded...by law.

Ciao   

You and I are in complete agreement.

Where I agree with Jaka on unaccompanied visitors is when it is hidden from the membership by management/ownership. Obviously there are different types of memberships that deserve different levels of disclosure. I know he had a bad experience with one, and so did myself and others here. I also know that nobody is crying for Jaka or me :) , but this is a discussion group so I wanted to add to the discussion.

Interesting very nuanced update - the Naval Academy Golf Course is now taking applications from civilians as they are going to do a renovation over the next few years, and my guess is they want to ramp up fees to pay for it. This is all via the website, so I have no inside information: https://usnagolf.com

Similar to Yale, it has a cool vibe that I appreciate. If I lived down there, I would do it. Both Yale and USNA are and will remain technically private, but they are obviously not in the same private category of some "Sacred Cow Clubs" in the USA that we talk about here.

The Naval Academy Golf Club has had civilian memberships for many years.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2018, 04:19:34 PM »
John,

I don't think your claim holds up.  If I buy a timeshare with 10 other people, the timeshare is still private even if one of the 10 owners lets their friends stay there if they aren't using it on one of their weekends...

And I could be wrong, but i'm guessing the vast vast majority of raters don't just show up without contacting a club, slap their card down and say put me on the tee sheet.  Someone still has to approve access to the course, even if it is unaccompanied.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2018, 10:30:07 AM »
Forest Oaks Country Club in Greensboro, NC (former host of the Wyndham/GGO) used to be a private course and is now public. I don't know how successful it's been, but the course is still open.

Nice renovation of this Ellis Maples course by Love Design.  Worth a two hours drive or so in my opinion.  Might vie for best course in Nashville if here.  Highly recommended.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Michael Wolf

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2018, 07:00:43 PM »

An interesting test case will be the former PGA Golf Club in Port St Lucie, FL. First a private club owned and operated by PGA of America, then name changed to St Lucie Trail and still owned and operated by PGA, but as an upscale daily fee. And now recently sold to private owners who I understand will operate as traditional public course.

3 different business models, same course, roughly same customer base.

Also to further intrigue is that PGA still owns and operates 3 other upscale publics a mile down the road.

MW

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2018, 12:07:11 AM »
Forest Oaks Country Club in Greensboro, NC (former host of the Wyndham/GGO) used to be a private course and is now public. I don't know how successful it's been, but the course is still open.

Nice renovation of this Ellis Maples course by Love Design.  Worth a two hours drive or so in my opinion.  Might vie for best course in Nashville if here.  Highly recommended.

Mike

I didn't know anyone was that big a fan of the course! I think it's okay (although I only played it once before renovation and once after, and not in many years), but nowhere near as good as Sedgefield or several other courses in the area.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2018, 03:51:06 PM »
Century CC in Phoenix opened in 1957 and remained private until 1977 when it was sold by members for a time share resort now know as Orange Tree Golf Resort by Wyndham.  A very traditional parkland course in the desert. It's very popular with locals and the resort guests. 

https://www.orangetreegolfcourse.com/
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back