News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

Re: Please excuse my self absorption but a Fife play question.
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2018, 08:18:12 PM »
 I did. I should have put a smiley face at the end. I know you are the official historian of Buda and respect your position.
AKA Mayday

Sean_A

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2018, 08:30:07 PM »
official historian

:o  I just donated the cup.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Rich Goodale

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2018, 07:48:49 AM »
Enjoy, Mayday.  And it is Burntisland not "Bruntisland"........... :)
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2018, 02:01:55 PM »
If  you want quirky, if you can handle quirky , go to Crail.  Stay for dinner, best damn view in town.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

mike_malone

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2018, 11:02:07 PM »
How about 2 out of three in one day——Crail, Elie, Lundin Links? Which two?
AKA Mayday

Ed Brzezowski

Both Crails
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Brian Finn

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2018, 11:07:53 AM »
If  you want quirky, if you can handle quirky , go to Crail.  Stay for dinner, best damn view in town.
Agreed.  Such a great spot and a very welcoming club.
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Neil Davis

Did my first Scotland trip last summer.  Old Course, Kingsbarns (2x), Castle, Crail, Elie, North Berwick, Gullane, Muirfield (2x).

If I was doing it over again I'd play Kingsbarns only once, and skip the Castle Course.  I wouldn't miss Crail and Elie for anything, especially Elie.  Elie might have been my favorite of the whole trip.   

Matthew Essig

Lundin, Elie, and Crail?

Let me start by saying you can't go wrong with any combination of those.

-Elie was my favorite of the three. It was the most fun I had on my trip. It is hard to explain.
-Lundin has some of the quirkiest holes I played on my trip. There are still a handful of holes that I don't know what the best strategy to play them are.
-Crail is a raw experience. The four or five fairways that all run together is unique.

If you were to play two, it would probably be 1) Elie and Lundin, or 2) both at Crail. Which of those is the best is hard to say, and like I said, you can't go wrong. I bet you will love it either way. It also means you need to make another trip and play the other two next time you are there!
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Tom_Doak

Lundin, Elie, and Crail?

Let me start by saying you can't go wrong with any combination of those.

-Elie was my favorite of the three. It was the most fun I had on my trip. It is hard to explain.
-Lundin has some of the quirkiest holes I played on my trip. There are still a handful of holes that I don't know what the best strategy to play them are.
-Crail is a raw experience. The four or five fairways that all run together is unique.

If you were to play two, it would probably be 1) Elie and Lundin, or 2) both at Crail. Which of those is the best is hard to say, and like I said, you can't go wrong. I bet you will love it either way. It also means you need to make another trip and play the other two next time you are there!

I concur with this post.

Alex Miller

I have strong feelings about this - having played Leven (not Lundin), Elie, and both courses at Crail when I visited.

Our day at Crail Old in the morning and Elie in the afternoon rivaled the very best days of the trip, which also included TOC, Muirfield, and North Berwick. If you can replicate this day I'd 100% endorse it.

Crail is raw as Matthew says, but has so much charm and is on a wonderful piece of land. It's sub 6,000 yards and still challenges. There are more than a handful of memorable holes. The culture there is as pure as it gets - we played in a slow 3:20 and saw all sorts of people out on the course.

Elie we happened to have to ourselves, and it is the best out of these courses. I think it's best as an afternoon round after a warmup as it is a good test! If you're able to stop at the Anstruther Fish Bar for lunch between the two, you've basically had a perfect day in Fife IMO.

Alex Miller

Don't be swayed by Mr. Doak. Crail + Anstruther Fish + Elie is the way to go!  ;)

David McIntosh

Mike,

Of the three you’re considering, Elie is a must. Book that one without any further thought.

As has already been said, you can’t really go wrong with either Lundin Links or Crail Balcomie. I wouldn’t recommend playing the Craighead at Crail ahead of either of those two though as, whilst it’s a decent course, it’s not quite on the same level.

I’d probably give Lundin a slight edge over Balcomie and I really like the opening and closing four holes there. Crail has a good finish too from the 13th in and the clubhouse is a great place to spend some time, have a drink and enjoy the views afterwards.

Sean_A

Mike,

Of the three you’re considering, Elie is a must. Book that one without any further thought.

+1

I much prefer Lundin to Crail, but it isn't a big deal.  Go with the whichever course logistically works best with Elie.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Mark Pearce

On pure quality I might prefer Elie and Lundin.  However, Alex is quite right, Balcomie in the morning, followed by Elie, allows for lunch at the Anstruther chippy.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Steve Salmen

Mike,

I've played Elie a half dozen times and it's by far my favorite of the four courses. It has a tremendous variety of par 4s. The 12th is one of my top 5 favorite par 4s. It's 460 yds that curves to the left, hugging the coastline. It's shaped like 18 at Pebble but with a wide open entrance to the green. I'm not much of a gambler, but this is a great course to have a little on the line.

I played Lundin once and liked it a lot but not as much as Balcomie or Elie.

I don't want to hype up Crail because I've been a member for nearly 20 years. If you go there, do yourself a favor and try to have a chat with Graeme Lennie. He is one of the great gentlemen golf professionals in the game. You will enjoy your time there if you choos to play there.

Enjoy your trip.

Ian Andrew

Elie would be a club I would like to join.
It has an amazing set of greens that I really loved.
That would be my choice.
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

mike_malone

You are making me feel I don’t need to try to go back to TOC for a third game if I need to get there at 5 in the morning.

Thanks for the great information.
AKA Mayday

Jim Sherma

No wrong answer - Crail is a good a place to be alive as anyplace I've been. Leven is wonderful old school links golf. And Elie is the top of where I'm going on my next trip to Fife. Enjoy!!!

mike_malone

Booked 230 at Elie. Crail does not show any early times. Sent a request to Lundin Links.
AKA Mayday

Scott Senior

Mike,

I've played Elie a half dozen times and it's by far my favorite of the four courses. It has a tremendous variety of par 4s. The 12th is one of my top 5 favorite par 4s. It's 460 yds that curves to the left, hugging the coastline. It's shaped like 18 at Pebble but with a wide open entrance to the green. I'm not much of a gambler, but this is a great course to have a little on the line.

I played Lundin once and liked it a lot but not as much as Balcomie or Elie.

I don't want to hype up Crail because I've been a member for nearly 20 years. If you go there, do yourself a favor and try to have a chat with Graeme Lennie. He is one of the great gentlemen golf professionals in the game. You will enjoy your time there if you choos to play there.

Enjoy your trip.

Steve,

I couldn't agree with you more about Graeme Lennie. I have had the great pleasure of spending a fair amount of time with Graeme at your wonderful club. He is a true gentleman within the game of golf. But even more a gentleman in life. He is one of the reasons Crail is a great club, not to mention the two wonderful courses (i might be in the minority but I like Gil's course...and if you are going to be on property it's a good option for second 18) and the super welcoming/friendly membership.
Crail is a great stop!!

Brad Payne

Thanks for all the recommendations everyone.  I'll be in the area a few days after and decided to book Elie on 6/5 in the afternoon.  Can't wait!
Founder and CEO, Walker Trolleys
We are creating the most beautiful, high-end golf push cart for the player, purist, aficionado that appreciates style, form and functionality and chooses to walk the game.
https://www.walkertrolleys.com

Mark Pearce

Scott,

I'm also a fan of the Craighead.  It's tough but fun and a great example of what can be achieved on a relatively low budget on a relatively flat piece of land.

And I echo the comments on Graeme. 
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Malcolm Mckinnon

Leven is no booby prize if Lundin does not come through. A strong and very enjoyable alternative!

Not sure why the emphasis on Lundin!, Lundin!, Lundin! over the Leven side? But Yes, Yes, Yes to Elie and (not Craighead) Crail!

Also, every chippie in Anstruther is terrific, not just the most famous ones. They all get the same fish right off the dock but some get long waiting lines to boot. Some, you can't get a pint along with your meal. Don't just go in lockstep with the thundering herd.

Malcolm Mckinnon

Before my UK friends wake and shred me, it was the Anstruther Fish Bar where I couldn't seem to be able to get a pint of even Belhaven Best to go with my meal. Perhaps I just missed it.

Also get battered not breadcrumbed!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back