News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

DLF Golf and Country Club
« on: March 08, 2018, 01:36:11 PM »
Anybody watching the Euro Tour in the mornings? They are at DLF Golf and Country Club in India. Looked kinda interesting on the tube.

Anyone have any insights? I figure at least DD has to have played there. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Matt_Cohn

Re: DLF Golf and Country Club
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 11:38:12 PM »
Anybody watching the Euro Tour in the mornings? They are at DLF Golf and Country Club in India. Looked kinda interesting on the tube.

I really enjoy watching it. There's so much that can happen. It's kind of the opposite of Innisbrook, which looks like a lovely place to play but isn't a very exciting course to watch golf on.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 11:39:41 PM »
I was at DLF 9-10 years ago, but this is a different course.

The one I saw was not anything special.

George Pazin

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 09:23:53 PM »

I really enjoy watching it. There's so much that can happen. It's kind of the opposite of Innisbrook, which looks like a lovely place to play but isn't a very exciting course to watch golf on.

There appeared to be quite a bit of artificiality, but that didn't bother me much. What looked intriguing to me is there appeared to be quite a bit of ground contour, and it seemed to come into play a lot.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Evan_Green

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 03:06:56 AM »
Does anyone know what material the bunker faces were made out of?

Cal Seifert

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 10:16:46 AM »
Does anyone know what material the bunker faces were made out of?

I believe they are a sort of foam.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 03:42:24 PM »
Some golf courses are real and then someone comes along and makes a computer game version. This course has aspects that are the opposite, ie a computer game course that’s been transfered to the landscape.
Atb

George Pazin

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 04:27:37 PM »
Some golf courses are real and then someone comes along and makes a computer game version. This course has aspects that are the opposite, ie a computer game course that’s been transfered to the landscape.
Atb

Interesting observation. Quite obviously, I haven't played it, nor have I played the GPlayer course that hosted the Presidents Cup all those years ago, but both looked compelling to me, far more so than many courses that have evolved into computer game versions.

Sadly, I doubt I will make it to any of those, so I rely on the experiences of those on here. Where's DD when you need him? :)

Evan_Green

Re: DLF Golf and Country Club New
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 04:55:38 PM »
Atb

(All of the following based solely on watching Round 4 on TV yesterday - I had never seen picture of the course before)
I think thats a really interesting observation. There was a moment when I saw the camera angle from behind #16 (the 275 yard downhill par 3) - that I had a moment where I did a double take and asked myself - is that a computer graphic of the hole, or the real thing... and then i realized it was the real thing, but because the edges were sharp and everything was so "perfect looking" it looked like a computer graphic...

Also with both #17 and #18 I did a double take as the holes were so extreme, I couldn't believe they were real (but they are).

I don't understand the bunker faces and why they needed that (foam) material or needed faux riveted faces at all, but i can definitely say I've never seen anything else like it.

I would definitely give this course points for being different and it looks like it would be a lot of fun to play a couple of times if you didn't mind losing a bunch of balls and shooting a (really) high score just for the extremeness of the challenge and uniqueness of the course. Certainly not a course I would want to play every day... If that is Sharma's home course, I see why he is so good - every other course must seem like a piece of cake to him.

Also thought it was quite a compelling tournament to watch
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 04:58:12 PM by Evan_Green »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back