News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Ross

PGA of America moving to Texas
« on: March 08, 2018, 10:04:15 AM »
The PGA of America is moving from Florida to Frisco, Texas. The proposed site will include a new 36-hole facility, with Hanse and Beau Welling (and I'm assuming, Woods?) tagged to design the two courses.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/report-pga-of-america-moving-to-texas-hopes-to-bring-pga-championship-ryder-cup-to-frisco
Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in.

http://www.rossgolfarchitects.com

DFarron

Re: PGA of America moving to Texas
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 02:43:44 PM »
Wow...I'm a member and that's news to me!

Steve Lang

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 09:21:43 PM »
 8)  Heck with the PGA move... there's a link below that story which has the Golf Digest video of every hole at Pine Valley!  Didn't know they also have a 10 hole short course there in the woods...

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 09:41:27 PM »
8)  Heck with the PGA move... there's a link below that story which has the Golf Digest video of every hole at Pine Valley!  Didn't know they also have a 10 hole short course there in the woods...

They hired Fazio to create a facsimilie short course based on the full course.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 12:59:03 PM »
I wonder if they will keep the Florida location as a secondary HQ. I know I wouldn't want to leave the Florida coast for a Dallas suburb if I had an option.

Also, I wonder what this will do to the area around the PGA HQ if it moves completely -- I have a friend who lives in the area and there's quite a lot of PGA branding. His office is in PGA Village. I don't know if the PGA has a stake in all of that, but it could have an economic impact.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 01:49:28 PM »

Also, I wonder what this will do to the area around the PGA HQ if it moves completely -- I have a friend who lives in the area and there's quite a lot of PGA branding. His office is in PGA Village. I don't know if the PGA has a stake in all of that, but it could have an economic impact.

PGA Boulevard in NPB is so named because what's now JDM CC [or some other subsequent name] was originally PGA National.

Their agreement runs out, and they negotiate a new one somewhere else.  But, what economic impact?  You think people are paying extra to rent office space because of the PGA name?

Lou_Duran

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 01:57:19 PM »
I would not be lining up my U-Haul in FL based on the news release, though I live close to the general site and the city has a great reputation for getting deals done.  Information of plans for a 36-hole facility has been pretty well controlled for the past several years, with a regional golf organization rumored as the principal.

A good source states that it is more likely that the PGA is simply turning up the heat on Palm Beach Gardens to open up its purse.  With a well-proven relocation destination, I suspect that the PGA will come out a winner, whether it stays or moves.

BTW, Toyota completed its move from the L.A. area to the north border of Plano and Frisco in 2017.  75% of its employees made the move (3000), a much higher rate than the company expected.  The PGA move would be much smaller and the climate for much of the year is not that much different.  Owning its golf courses and other amenities on interesting land adjoining its headquarters might be an important factor, along with being :30 from the centrally located 4th busiest airport in the country.     

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 01:59:55 PM »

PGA Boulevard in NPB is so named because what's now JDM CC [or some other subsequent name] was originally PGA National.

Their agreement runs out, and they negotiate a new one somewhere else.  But, what economic impact?  You think people are paying extra to rent office space because of the PGA name?

No, I agree with you -- I don't think there will be any economic impact at all. But my friend was concerned there might be.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back