News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Frey, PGA

List of WPA Golf Courses New
« on: March 05, 2018, 02:19:59 PM »
Does anyone have access to a complete list of all of the golf courses constructed with the help of the Works Progress Administration (WPA)? I believe I read that there were at least 200 constructed with WPA help, but do not recall ever seeing a comprehensive listing. I used to work at WPA course, Malone (New York) Golf Club, and would love to comb through a list of other WPA layouts.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 11:59:44 AM by Matt Frey, PGA »

Ben Hollerbach

Re: List of WPA Golf Courses
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 02:42:05 PM »

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 04:50:29 PM »
Thanks, Ben. I have seen this and I do not believe it is, as Malone is not listed.

MCirba

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 05:44:31 PM »
No additional 7 holes at Karakung either.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 07:11:09 PM »
It's gonna' be a big list.  :)

http://archive.lib.msu.edu/tic/golfd/article/1940may18.pdf

p.s  the article from 1940 says 400, but I've seen estimates of up to 600 by the program's end.

Matt,

I seem to recall that Malone CC was constructed using TERA (NYState) funds. FERA (Federal) began 2 months after FDR was elected, with WPA being approved by Congress in 1935.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 07:31:25 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 10:13:00 AM »
Thanks, Jim.

In regard to Malone, nine holes were built first, while a second nine was added later. Do you suspect the first nine were via NYS and the additional nine were build using Federal funds?

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 12:03:59 PM »
Matt,
I thought it was Malone CC, but in retrospect, I think it was Tupper Lake that used TERA funds and then federal funds later to build their course. There was a pause when the town and Wilkinson had some disagreement, and funding for other projects in Tupper were going to be denied unless the town finished the golf course.

Wasn't there a muni built around the early '30s in Malone? Maybe that's what I recalled.

Jim
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 12:06:16 PM »
Would be interesting to see how Prairie Dunes and Southern Hills got money for work.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Jeff Schley

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 12:44:30 PM »
Holy Shishkabobs!  The WPA employees almost 3.4 million people at it's height out of a total population of 130!  I knew it was a huge program but that is crazy as all were unemployed before that. "To be eligible for WPA employment, an individual had to be an American citizen, 18 or older, able-bodied, unemployed, and certified as in need by a local public relief agency approved by the WPA."

Make America Great Again! ;)
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 03:45:35 PM »
Jim, Malone's 18-hole layout was completed in the 30s and I believe was owned by the town at the time (it's an equity club now). I am unaware of another golf course in or around Malone at that time, unless you may be thinking of the club's original location near the present-day high school, a few miles from it's current property.

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 04:05:17 PM »
Holy Shishkabobs!  The WPA employees almost 3.4 million people at it's height out of a total population of 130!  I knew it was a huge program but that is crazy as all were unemployed before that. "To be eligible for WPA employment, an individual had to be an American citizen, 18 or older, able-bodied, unemployed, and certified as in need by a local public relief agency approved by the WPA."

Make America Great Again! ;)

An administration requiring citizenship and using public funds to build golf courses - a rich man's sport. Who'd a thought Trump was a New Deal Democrat!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back