News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Lawrence

The Oldest Club on the Surrey Heath
« on: March 12, 2018, 04:55:23 AM »
Limpsfield Chart GC, nine holes, founded 1889.

Anyone know anything about it?
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Robin_Hiseman

Re: The Oldest Club on the Surrey Heath
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 06:30:33 AM »
I've walked over it a couple of times. Reminded me of Berkhamsted in many ways. Short, tight and with carries over heather banks. Blighted by road crossings of Liphookian proportions. Quaint and old worldly.
2024: Royal St. David's(x2); Mill Ride(x7); Milford; Notts; JCB(x2), Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ), Hayling

Clyde Johnson

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 07:42:52 AM »
I've walked it. It's pretty interesting, primarily for it's efficient use of some awkward shaped parcels of land - there are a fair few road crossings of varying busyness. There is a gnarly, big pit to carry on the uphill second drive, and the downhill par-five seventh is a pretty cool chase. The ninth hole is most unusual, doglegging across the 8th fairway and then over a bank of gorse to a semi-sunken green. Could really do with a chainsaw!

Giles Payne

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 07:44:38 AM »
I read that some of the original members left to set up Tandridge - I can’t remember the reason.

I have driven past it a few times and wondered about it.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 07:47:49 AM »
Thanks all. I suspect some kind of Colt connection exists at Limpsfield, given that it was laid out by Peter Paxton and Douglas Rolland was its pro from 1890-1894 (when, of course, he went to Rye) -- Paxton and Rolland were Colt's first two golfing mentors.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 10:52:44 AM »
Looks lovely.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

David_Tepper

« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 12:15:27 PM by David_Tepper »

Matt Dawson

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 01:06:24 PM »
Limpsfield Chart GC, nine holes, founded 1889.

Anyone know anything about it?

I lived backing onto it for 12 years, played it quite a few times. What do you want to know? 9 greens with alternate tees, some change the angle of the hole quite a bit. Good turf, very fast & firm in summer, but claustrophobically tight in quite a few places. Not even sure if they have fairway watering. Tree cover is extensive as the land it resides on is owned partially by the Titsey Estate (huge landowner) and part by National Trust.

I have personally helped chop down some of the trees, and the local NT ranger is pretty clued up on trying to return the heath character to the course with heather etc. Lots of posters around on boards in car parks explaining what they are doing. The pits & craters referred to are due to extensive bombing during the war...Biggin Hill is only a few miles north and Battle of Britain was fought in the skies above

It's a lovely part of the world

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back