News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ira Fishman

Highlands Quick Takes
« on: July 09, 2018, 12:31:42 PM »
We just finished our five course tour and here for what is worth based on one play in the very dry conditions discussed in other threads are my headlines (in order of play):

Golspie—Braid was a mad genius in the most positive sense.

Brora—Braid was a genius.

Royal Dornoch—Scope and scale make a big difference.

Nairn—Way under loved on GCA.com.

Castle Stuart—A very fine American resort.

Ira

George Pazin

Re: Highlands Quick Takes
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 12:46:13 PM »
Please flesh out your thoughts when you have a chance. Thanks. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 01:38:57 PM »
Good call on Nairn, it is a great track. Gets minimal love everywhere.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 02:41:33 PM »
Ed,

Reading reviews and comments here, it seems that Nairn gets knocked for not being pure links because of the holes that go off the links land and for having too many bunkers. I found the three holes “into the woods” to be of an excellent variety with wonderful green complexes. The bunker comment has some validity, but even the holes that required a carry near the green did not require a full carry to the green. Maybe because the bunkers are so difficult, people knock them. Nairn is a hard course, but I am a mediocre golfer and still enjoyed/appreciated it on a tough, windy day. You both have to think and execute.

Ira

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 03:10:35 PM »
True a few go inland but they seem to maintain a links flavor, maybe. The view from the high point negates the criticism for me. The downhill par three is just a cool hole.

Agree the bunkering is generous but to me it never has looked over done or manufactured. Had the pleasure of playing it three times, I would go back in a heartbeat.

ed
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 04:25:31 PM »
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 10:31:39 AM by Jon Wiggett »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 05:09:53 PM »
I like Nairn, well 17 holes of the course at least (I dislike the uphill 13th) and the view from the Clubhouse windows is delightful. The course seems to have long been known for is true greens.
Calling themselves ‘The’ Nairn probably doesn’t do them any favours especially as the other course is clearly Nairn Dunbar.
Here’s James photo tour from a few years ago - [size=78%]http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,42177.msg900506.html#msg900506[/size]

Atb

Sean_A

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 02:51:58 AM »
But the 13th then allows for the great 14th, perhaps the best hole on the course.

Ciao
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 05:38:58 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Niall C

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 07:17:29 AM »
Ed/Ira,

Nairn is generally very well regarded in the UK. It doesn't tend to be as well regarded with some overseas visitors but I think that's more to do with the lack of dune-scape compared to some other links courses, that and the clubhouse which is more functional than charming. However if you are only there for the golf, then it's as good as any in the Highlands.

As for GCA, I think if you look back on past threads it does get some love, notably from Ian Andrew who played it a couple of years ago.

Niall

Ira Fishman

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 04:25:47 PM »
Niall, thanks for the illumination. I tend to focus on the golf, but the members and staff at Nairn could not have been more welcoming and the views from the clubhouse indeed wonderful.

I did not mean to imply in my quick takes that Nairn topped the list of the courses we played (once again, only one play so hardly a fulsome view), but I am glad to read that others share my positive perspective.

Ira

Niall C

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 08:00:50 AM »
Ira

I'm just glad you enjoyed it. The other thing Nairn is renowned for is having the best greens in Scotland in terms of conditioning. Whether that's true or not is perhaps debatable but they are very good for links greens. They also have some really nice contours and agree with you regarding the downhill par 3 which is a belter.

Golspie - what did you find mad about it ?

Niall

Ira Fishman

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2018, 04:32:37 PM »
Niall,

Regarding Braid at Golspie, numbers 5, 7, 16, and 17 are holes that require a touch of demonic genius. Perhaps number 6 as well. It could be that I am just a fan of quirk or that developers would not allow modern architects to build such holes, but Braid found them and had the confidence to build them. And although not as on the edge as the others, routing the brilliant number 9 deserves some serious credit.

Ira

David_Tepper

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2018, 08:02:15 PM »
Ira -

While I am aware of James Braid very large body of work as a GCA, I think the holes you found most interesting at Golspie (5, 7, 9, 16 & 17) were there and in play before Braid's visit to the course in 1925.

I have a copy of Golspie's 100-year book, which contains maps of the course in 1910, 1921 and 1925. The 1921 map shows all five of those holes very much where they are today. Aside from recommending lengthening and building a new two-tier on the 16th hole (which is still there today), I am not sure just how much Braid contributed to the other four holes you liked so much.

It is worth noting that the par-3 6th hole is shown as being 175 yards on the 1921 map. Today, that hole is 150 yards from the back tee, which means that 25 yards of shoreline have been lost to erosion over the past 100 years.

DT

« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 10:41:33 PM by David_Tepper »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2018, 10:12:30 PM »
According to the Braid book, Braid visited Golspie on the 18th and 19th of November 1925. He "presented a report which contained detailed suggestions for every hole on the course, and two options for their implementation."
As a result bunkers were added and four greens were moved. Apparently three of these new greens remain as he specified. The holes "The Fields" and "The Tattie Pits" were both shortened to have the pits influence the drive.
Could these be perhaps the current 4th and 18th?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

David_Tepper

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2018, 10:39:29 PM »
Garland -

"Tattie Pits" is the name for the 15th hole these days. The name refers to the small swales on the left side of the drive landing zone.

The 14th hole is called "Fields." Maybe the current fairway bunkers in the landing zone replaced the pits at some point over the years.

http://www.golspiegolfclub.co.uk/the-course/course-map

DT
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 01:21:25 AM by David_Tepper »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2018, 11:33:50 PM »
That makes sense. Thanks David.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ira Fishman

Re: Highlands Quick Takes New
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2018, 02:00:18 AM »
Ira -

While I am aware of James Braid very large body of work as a GCA, I think the holes you found most interesting at Golspie (5, 7, 9, 16 & 17) were there and in play before Braid's visit to the course in 1925.

I have a copy of Golspie's 100-year book, which contains maps of the course in 1910, 1921 and 1925. The 1921 map shows all five of those holes very much where they are today. Aside from recommending lengthening and building a new two-tier on the 16th hole (which is still there today), I am not sure just how much Braid contributed to the other four holes you liked so much.

It is worth noting that the par-3 6th hole is shown as being 175 yards on the 1921 map. Today, that hole is 150 yards from the back tee, which means that 25 yards of shoreline have been lost to erosion over the past 100 years.

DT

David,

In addition to the excellent restaurant recommendations (we ended up at Luigi’s twice), I thank you for adding to my architecture knowledge. I amend my quick take on Golspie to give credit to whomever first laid out those holes. Golspie from start to finish was a treat.

Ira
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 10:03:12 PM by Ira Fishman »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back