News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JWinick

Re: Cabot Cliffs / Links and Boston Trip
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2018, 04:58:36 AM »

I think i made it abundantly clear that Highland Links could be a great course, but its conditioning is so poor and such a poor backdrop.   Why do you suggest a false choice - either play a course with good architectural merits in poor conditioning or a well-conditioned course with a poor design?   

I think the reviews on TripAdvisor show how the conditioning has deteriorated recently under new management.    Nobody I talked to in Nova Scotia had a good thing to say about them.   

Is it too much ask for a round that costs $150 to have decent conditioning?  How would you feel if you played Waveland or Jackson Park in Chicago and paid $150?  You'd feel ripped off, even if you could see the potential.

Its been a couple of years since I made the trip.  If you are interested in architecture, Highlands is a must see.  Conditioning is less than ideal but that does not change the brilliance of the routing and the variety of challenges provided by Thompson.  As far as Trip Adviser and its ilk, perhaps I am a snob but the level of architectural sophistication exhibited there makes it one of the last places I would think that anyone who spends time on a site like this would consider in planning a trip.  I recall Tom Watson suggesting something to the effect that if a course had to be in great condition to be interesting, the architecture must not be very good.  I appreciate good conditioning as much as the next person having spent years as a greens chair and good conditions show off all that a course has to offer, but if you can't appreciate the architecture for want of top conditions I suspect that you are less interested in the art than many of us here.

Finally, Cabot is truly outstanding and well worth the travel hassles.  When they improve the airport there will be real problems getting on the courses.

JWinick

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2018, 06:05:45 AM »

Kalen,

Cabot certainly draws more people to the region, but it's a solid 3-hour drive from Cabot as I recall.   The miles are not that far, but the roads are not great.    It's a beautiful drive though.

So, six hours in aggregate is a lot to ask for someone to leave Cabot and pay $150 for a round of golf.  I hope you saw some of the pictures of the greens on TripAdvisor - they are pretty rough.

Best,

Jon

Greg,

Seems like its a slowly dying cash cow of sorts. I'm not sure what % of play is bucket list out-of-towners who will likely only get up that way just once... but I wouldn't be surprised if they work on this premise and don't bother with proper upkeep? 

Especially now that they don't have to do anything to attract them to the region....

SL_Solow

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2018, 09:22:47 AM »
I have played both Waveland (actually now named for Syd Marovitz) and Jackson Park.  They both have some architectural interest but to compare them to the Highland Links is patently absurd.  I understand your point.  You feel that the course is overpriced due to its conditioning.  I concur that the conditions are less than ideal.  But that does not detract from the architecture and I am more than capable of separating these factors.  As for your reliance on TripAdvisor to lend credence to your position, that merely adds emphasis to your criteria for evaluating golf courses.  Understand, its OK with me if you value conditioning over architecture.  That is your choice.  Moreover, I concur that better conditioning would bring out some of the attributes of the course.  Where we part ways is your dismissal of the experience because the conditioning is not worthy of the price.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2018, 11:41:03 AM »
Jwinick,

While I agree with your last post, when you travel thousands of miles for perhaps a once in a lifetime trip, I don't think going a little bit further is really much of a deterrent, especially when its such a beautiful drive as everyone raves about.

I know its conspiracy theory in nature, but I suspect once Cabot firmly established itself as premium destination, the powers that be smacked thier chops and knew in a Field-of-Dreams-like way golfers would come...

JWinick

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2018, 03:08:00 PM »

Good theory.   I mean we were warned, but we went anyway.   And I guess I'm glad I went once, just so I can say i've done it, but I bet the rest of my group would have rather had a third day at Cabot.   

Jwinick,

While I agree with your last post, when you travel thousands of miles for perhaps a once in a lifetime trip, I don't think going a little bit further is really much of a deterrent, especially when its such a beautiful drive as everyone raves about.

I know its conspiracy theory in nature, but I suspect once Cabot firmly established itself as premium destination, the powers that be smacked thier chops and knew in a Field-of-Dreams-like way golfers would come...

Greg McMullin

« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2018, 03:35:13 PM »

Kalen,
   I like you can only guess what Golf North's business strategy is regarding the long term operation of the course and surrounding accommodations but suffice to say they may want to reconsider their plan. While it's true that the lodge attracts clientele for purposes other than golf (weddings, conventions, bus tours, road trips ......) there is no doubt the course is a cornerstone of the business and of the Ingonish community at large.
   If the customers who come for the golf experience are left wanting and see no reason to return again it's hard to imagine the entire business would not suffer and when that happens it's problematic for all concerned. 
   While it is true Cape Breton Highlands is an amazing golf course for a number of reasons it is also true that today's travelling golfers have expectations as to conditioning relative to what they experience at other courses. Cape Breton Highlands will likely always have "rustic" conditions relative to many other great courses and based on what I have read for most that is very acceptable. The problem arises when conditions deteriorate to the point that even this level of conditioning isn't what is offered.

Jwinick,

Joe Bausch

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2018, 07:44:58 PM »
In June of 2016 I made the 20 hour drive to Nova Scotia from Philadelphia and really enjoyed the three courses being discussed. 

Photo albums for those newer to the site:

http://www.myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/HighlandLinks/index.html

http://www.myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/CabotLinks/index.html

http://www.myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/CabotCliffs/index.html
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back