News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Colin Sheehan

50 Year Old Quote
« on: February 14, 2018, 12:12:58 PM »
Over the weekend, I was re-reading HWW's coverage of the 1968 Masters in his Rule 38 Paragraph 3 chapter of Following Through. It includes this terrific quote by Bobby Jones. Perhaps it has been posted here before, but I thought I would share it along with a separate quote from that article as we approach the 50th anniversary of the competition:

“The point I set out to make was that on the old hard, fast courses golf was a more exacting game and, in a way, a more fascinating one. I was discussing this with Arnold Palmer the other evening, and my position was that we’ve permitted ourselves to go too far in the other direction. With our soft, holding greens today, golf has become almost entirely target golf. You fly your shot right to your target and it settles where it lands. Of course, mine may be an old-fashioned view, but I believe that the bounce of the ball should be part of the game, and when you play a fast, resilient course it is. Then, as I said, you must improvise all sorts of shots to cope with the terrain. I know that some of those little pitches and pitch-and-runs—the one that came off successfully—gave me as much satisfaction as any shots I ever played.” -Bobby Jones

And there is this additional passage making the case for amending said rule:

“Some people defend Rule 38 by arguing that it is not putting an unreasonable burden on the golfer to require him to be responsible for the correctness of his scorecard, but—since accidents do happen—it is possible that they underrate the stress a player is under. Other people who want the rule to stand believe that the way to insure that nothing goes wrong is to set up, off the last green, some enclosure—say, a large tent—in which a player can go over his card in peace and privacy. This would assuredly be a step in the right direction, but I do not think it goes to the heard of the matter, which is this: The score that the player makes on the course is the score that he should be credited with. It should be the responsibility of the tournament officials as well as of the golfer to see that the score he returns is the right score. If an error is discovered, the important thing is to see that it is corrected. No penalty should be imposed. Golf, like every other spot, is meant to be a test of athletic ability and not of bookkeeping. Granted, it will take many, many sessions for our rules-making body, the United States Golf Association, even to begin to develop the machinery necessary to take into account both the game’s traditions and the realities of present-day tournament golf, but I trust that this matter is on the current agenda. Nobody wants ever again to have to go through another such Sunday as the one at Augusta, when legality is served, but justice, as golfers understand it, isn’t. It is really an indignity to the game.”
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 01:12:27 PM by Colin Sheehan »

Thomas Dai

Re: 50 Year Old Quote
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 12:32:25 PM »
Well done for posting Colin.
Quotes that a few big-wigs in golf should read, the first one in particular over-and-over-and-over again.
Atb

Colin Sheehan

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 01:23:38 PM »
Here's more context to the quote. This passage appeared a page earlier in the essay:

I particularly remember Jones’s account of how he and Cyril Tolley played the short eleventh at St. Andrews in their celebrated match in the 1930 British Amateur. Jones had been talking about the lush conditions of the fairways at Augusta, and how the course in general was much heavier and slower than he would like it to be, and from that he slid into an appraisal of the classic British seaside courses  and how wonderfully racy they were in his day. “Those greens on St. Andrews used to be so crisp that you could hear the crunch your spikes made when they cut into the turf,” he said. “Oh they were fast! It was quite a different kind of golf, really. You had to invent all sorts of approach shots to get the ball near the hole, and when you were playing in a stiff wind—and you did very often—this doubled the difficulty.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 01:25:58 PM by Colin Sheehan »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 03:22:26 PM »
Colin,

Great quotes, whole heartedly agree on both of those as well....especially with the 2nd quote.

Golf in general and tourney golf would do well to lose it more anal rules, especially those not directly related to the golfing...

Tim Gallant

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 04:59:21 PM »
Here's more context to the quote. This passage appeared a page earlier in the essay:
“Those greens on St. Andrews used to be so crisp that you could hear the crunch your spikes made when they cut into the turf,” he said.

Colin,

Just reading this quote made me smile and makes me pine for a warm dry summer. In reality, in the seven+ years I've lived in East Lothian, there is only one truly dry summer that I can remember that might come close to this description from Jones - and that was the year The Open came to Muirfield in 2013. That was the best I have ever seen golf courses conditioned. Fantastically firm and fast with wispy fescue rough that was always playable. The ground contours flexed their muscles and the enjoyment in the game rose tenfold. Even when the conditions are not quite that great, they are always good in the summer, and when the sun is shining and the warm wind blows the salty air on your cheek, it is pretty near perfect.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 07:24:22 PM »
Thanks Colin. Wonderful quotes, especially the first!

Now more than ever, Golf needs a voice as eloquent, authoritative and insightful as Jones’.
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Adam Clayman

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 04:19:33 PM »
Thanx Coach,

Watching Olympic Curling, I can't help but agree wholeheartedly with Bobby Jones.

The loss of the sport, is crippling the mindsets of it's participants.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Ira Fishman

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 05:41:52 PM »
It indeed is 50 Years since Roberto De Vincenzo exhibited as much class in losing as we have seen, and Mr. Jones paying tribute to him in his quote.

Ira

Colin Sheehan

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 06:51:07 PM »
Here's the last portion of this essay:

As the head of the Masters, Bob Jones always wanted to be kept informed of any and all problems. He was watching the concluding stages of the tournament on television in his cottage with his son, Robert T. Jones III, when word was brought to him that de Vincenzo had signed an incorrect card. Before taking any action, the four co-chairman of the tournament rules committee wanted to have Jones’s opinion, and, along with Clifford Roberts, they quickly assembled at his cottage. Jones made it very clear that his primary concern was to find some way, if there was a way, of waiving the rule that would cost de Vincenzo a tie and the chance to win in a playoff. In the opinion of Isaac Grainger, a former president of the United States Golf Association and the most experienced rules man present, the only avenue was to make the freest interpretation possible of what constituted an official return of a scorecard by a player to the scoring committee. However, the precedent, he said, was that once a player had left the roped-off area around the last green—as de Vincenzo had, to go to the television room—the card must be regarded as officially returned. Jones then asked the group if there was any other loophole they could think of. There wasn’t, he was told—not without violating the rules.

“That’s all I want to know,” Jones said.

When I spoke with Grainger the other day, he remarked that he had never seen a more tragic look on a man’s face than the one on Jones’s when they left the cottage. It is easy to understand. The only way that Jones could have done what he wanted to do was to place himself above the rules of golf, and he would be the last man to do that. I should think this must have been the unhappiest hour of his sixty years in golf.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 07:01:20 PM by Colin Sheehan »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back