News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Gavrich

Re: An Amazing Gesture: Living On a Golf Course
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2019, 10:03:57 AM »
Forrest,

I live in a residential golf community but not on  a golf course lot. Our Golf Committee, of which I was a member of for 5 years, undertook a study of residents who live on a golf course lot and play golf here. We found that 1/3 of golf lot owners played golf.

I guesstimate that the % would be higher at  more prestigious communities with courses designed by the big named architects.
There's a lot of talk about "growing the game" that revolves around kids and Millennials, etc., and that's great, but what about taking the scores of thousands of people who live on a golf course despite not playing golf and trying to turn them into at least casual golfers? Are there courses/clubs in residential communities that have strategies for this?
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2019, 10:42:00 AM »
Tim,

Our strategy was to create interest in golf by starting a putters club, having beginners clinics and creating a new set of tees at about 4000y. We encourage 9 hole rounds for beginners. As an "active adult" community we get new residents who want to " take up golf" in their retirement.So far, we have been successful. The putters club has about 400 members, some of whom advance to golf lessons and the course.   We now have to compete with pickleball, hiking, softball,bocce, etc. Tennis is lagging behind. With 3 18 hole courses doing about 120,000 rounds, there is availability for more golfers. In the off season, we try to attract locals as we are not private.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2019, 01:32:16 PM »
That seems like an awesome idea, Steve. Thanks for sharing.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back