News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Duncan Cheslett

Graphene Golf Balls
« on: February 16, 2018, 01:34:39 PM »

Cal Seifert

Re: Graphene Golf Balls
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 02:08:26 PM »

This is the opposite of what the game needs unfortunately.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 02:23:55 PM »

This is the opposite of what the game needs unfortunately.

+1

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 03:22:07 PM »
while graphene's strength to weight ratio is off the charts, its ability to truly effect the cover of a golf ball would be absolutely minuscule. Plus graphene is not an easy material to grow and the cost to use a noticeable ammount in a golf ball would stretch the cost well beyond what a consumer would be willing to pay.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 03:55:44 PM »
They'd really have something if they made the core from scamium.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Doug Siebert

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 11:00:42 AM »
while graphene's strength to weight ratio is off the charts, its ability to truly effect the cover of a golf ball would be absolutely minuscule. Plus graphene is not an easy material to grow and the cost to use a noticeable ammount in a golf ball would stretch the cost well beyond what a consumer would be willing to pay.

I see them available for $44.99, or basically the same price as a Pro V...
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Steve Lang

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 12:29:22 PM »
8) Duncan,

While I'm sure about anyone discussing the merits of Reddish Vale... I'm not sure about the Mirror's or general tabloid hyperbole in the UK or Callaway's marketing department...

First, kudos went to the guys from Univ. of Manchester for creating some single atom layered graphene from graphite and proving the flat 6 carbon ring structure's properties... great stuff, but they hardly discovered the stuff. 

While its strong, its also brittle, but the thing i note in re-reading about it is how it dissipates energy and that may be the " + ", but I'm kinda reminded of titanium marketed in balls when that was the hot stuff giving 15 more yards.. it was a titanium dioxide pigment, helping make a cover white ::)

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Kevin McLaughlin

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 10:13:38 AM »
If this is not mere marketing hocus pocus; add one more item in the column supporting bifurcation.   

I saw some tidbits in some articles about distance gains by Sergio year over year in his recent win in Singapore, but its hard to parse out the impact of the ball with the full bag change and general performance variation. 

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 12:04:57 PM »
If this is not mere marketing hocus pocus; add one more item in the column supporting bifurcation.
The ball still conforms to the ODS, so… marketing, yes.

I saw some tidbits in some articles about distance gains by Sergio year over year in his recent win in Singapore, but its hard to parse out the impact of the ball with the full bag change and general performance variation.
Phil Mickelson should be hitting the ball 540 yards by now if you added all of his "I've gained 15 or 20 yards" over the years.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back