News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Wiggett

Re: Our Friend Bill McBride
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2018, 02:08:39 PM »

I believe Mike was referring to the fact that posters who contributed and passed away are listed in italics.

I refer the gentleman to my previous answer  ::) (no slight intended George)

BCrosby

« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2018, 05:17:39 PM »
Awful news. Bill was part of why this place has worked for so long, bumpy patches and all. I never got to Pensacola as I had promised.

Bill will be missed.

Bob

Eric Smith

« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2018, 06:17:59 PM »
I love how he was a Star Wars fan. Would call me (and others) “Padawan”. He didn’t care for The Force Awakens though, calling it instead, The Force Yawns or maybe it was Snoozes. Either way I thought Bill had a great sense of humor and I loved his positive outlook on life in general.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2018, 09:34:01 PM »
For years, when I went to a GCA event, I expected to see Bill. His enthusiasm - especially for Buda - was always on display. While he clearly appreciated great architecture, he also valued the relationships that this site has fostered. I think I only played a couple of rounds with Bill, though I saw him and enjoyed drinks with him many more times. At some point, one could count on him marvelling at what Ran (through GCA) has done to change the golf lives of so many of us. And he was right.

While I agree with the sentiment of leaving an empty chair in honor of Bill at Buda, I think he would be even happier to see that chair filled by one more person that had a chance to experience what he loved so much. I'm glad I had the chance to call Bill a friend, and am thankful to all of those who arranged the events that made that happen.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2018, 11:12:45 PM »
I was just about to contact Bill to see if we could get together for a round during his usual visit to AZ to see his brother. We've played before at Dove Mountain, Papago and at The 500 Club( with my wife and Kathleen) Always an enjoyable round with a lot of humor and insight on golf from a well traveled golfer.He had a life well lived and was a real mensch.  He will be missed.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2018, 01:55:50 AM »
I was so shocked to hear that Bill had passed. On FB and elsewhere he never let on that he was ill.  He was such a wonderful man and I'm absolutely heartbroken that he is gone.  Rest in peace.
#nowhitebelt

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2018, 05:52:07 AM »
I thought I would post a reminder of Bill's "In My Opinion" piece on Pensacola Country Club:

http://golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/pensacola-country-club/

"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Steve Lang

« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2018, 09:34:00 AM »
 8)  I like the three birds flying formation over Bill's beloved 18th at PCC.  RIP my friend, your spirit was, well, inspiring.

We first met Bill at the GCA Land of Enchantment event, way back when... Ms Sheila & I last had the pleasure to spend some time with Bill and his lovely wife Kath at their homestead and at one of their favorite dinner haunts and capped things off with a round with Bill and Sam Morrow at PCC one bright day.  He was very proud of the rebuild-renovation done there by Jerry Pate, some warts and all...  As others have mentioned, when you were his guest, you were his guest, period.  I'm glad we got to host Bill and son David once at WCC and help get a friend on another time.

Wonderful to know Bill and family, which only happened through this GCA internet link, he will be sorely missed.
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Matt MacIver

« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2018, 10:27:13 AM »
Very sorry to hear. I met Bill at a few Dixie’s and his love of golf, food and friends was always on display.

Scott Warren

« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2018, 01:44:00 PM »
Very sad to read this, and four pages of tributes sums up well the impact Bill had on all our lives.

I’m pleased that our orbits intersected, even if only a couple of times.

I hope those who knew Bill best and loved him the most are in some small way comforted by the knowledge of how much he meant to so many people dotted all around the world.

Tom Yost

« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2018, 09:31:28 PM »
Sad to hear this news.

I have had the pleasure to meet Bill and enjoy his company for a round of golf as well as a post round libation.  He was a genuine person and will be missed.

Sharing a photo of Bill at dinner along with some other attendees of the 2009 Kings Putter:

David Royer

« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2018, 12:02:20 PM »
I was so sadden to hear about the passing of Bill.  I had the great pleasure of playing with Bill at a couple Dixie Cups.  One of my fondest memories was greeting Bill while waiting to tee off at Streamsong. When Mike and Craig distributed the tee times I always looked for Bill's name.   His big gigantic smile will never cease.  It's only moved to heaven.  May god grant you peace and a quick 9 off the back! 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2018, 12:03:33 PM »
I spent this entire past weekend in Santa Barbara visiting some spots on Bills personal recommendation....and was so bummed to learn today he had passed.  He never said a word about his illness

We were chatting it up on Messenger just a couple weeks ago talking about my upcoming visit and he was always so fond of the place. For those who never met Bill, like Sir Huntley, he really was the real deal.  Such a kind and generous and gentle soul....the world needs more men like this!

Very very sad today!!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2018, 12:20:25 PM »
If GCA is a fraternity Bill was our rush chairman, making each of us who met him feel like we belonged. Many of us would quickly claim him as our "big brother." We love him because he was so damned lovable. A gentle man, and a gentleman.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #89 on: February 19, 2018, 06:15:26 PM »

He really was s great guy. My first encounter with golfing "men I met on the internet" was in 2008 when my dad and I hooked up with Pete Pittock and Bill McBride for a pre-King's Putter round at Peacock Gap. Bill was kind enough to let my dad make the ace that day - his genuine enthusiasm was as palpable as if he had holed the shot himself. I was fortunate to cross his path several more times, most recently in 2013 at Wolf Point. He was a class act, and I know that deep down he loved my ugly hats.

Rest well, Compatriot.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2018, 08:32:52 PM »
So sorry to hear this news.

Bill was always so incredibly welcoming and easy to be around.

I'm glad I was able to play with him several times at the Dixie Cup McBride Dixie Cup.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #91 on: February 20, 2018, 01:30:11 AM »

George Pazin started a number of threads where a Q&A commenced around a member. Here is Bill's.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41687.msg884888.html#msg884888

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #92 on: February 20, 2018, 08:22:18 AM »
Well done, Pete. That is a good read. Thanks for digging it up.

Memories
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #93 on: February 21, 2018, 01:58:02 PM »
I am absolutely devastated to hear this news.

My last two visits with Uncle Bill were in early 2016 during a Golfweek Rater trip to the Alabama coast and then again in early 2017 during a GCA Thaw-Out gathering. While on the GW trip, I had the great fortune of spending a day with him touring around his beloved city. I got to see Kathleen and their lovely house, we rode a cart around Pensacola Country Club where he showed me the nuances of every single hole, then we drove around the city and had lunch together on the inter-coastal on a beautiful day.

Many laughs (and drinks!) were shared during our late-January trip to HHI. Four of us (including me, Wardo and Bill) shared a condo and we had a ton of fun playing golf and shooting the shit sitting around the condo with our master bartender Chris Shaida manning the drink station. I really appreciate everyone's sentiments expressed above, thank you for sharing your thoughts and remembrances so eloquently.

I will most certainly raise a glass this evening, and remember back fondly on my old friend. Rest in peace, Bill. :'(
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2018, 04:56:11 AM »
Bill was a lovely guy and I'm going to miss him. He was one of the main reasons I stuck with the BUDA shindig in the early days. Just a nice person to be around and I was always pleased to be paired up with him on the course.

2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

Cliff Walston

« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2018, 04:00:34 PM »
Like everyone else, I am heartbroken.  Bill was one of those people on here that defind what is means to be a part of this community. You will be missed.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2018, 04:37:37 AM »
I met and played with Bill once, at Porthcawl BUDA in 2010.

He was full of life, great company and always happy during that day.

Condolences to those who loved him and knew him well.

Ally

Dave McCollum

« Reply #97 on: February 26, 2018, 12:49:27 AM »
I was off on winter golf trip and didn’t visit this site while away.  I didn’t know Bill outside this site or his online presence.  He was one of the first people welcoming me here (many years ago), said he’d take me up on my invitation to play our course if his travels brought him nearby, stayed in touch, and, most important, one of the posters I valued reading.  He will be missed, not just by me, but by all thoughtful users of the potential of this discussion group.

Mike Hamilton

« Reply #98 on: February 26, 2018, 10:36:23 PM »
What sad news.   Bill was my partner the first day of the Kings Putter in 2011 on Bandon Dunes.   It was a cold crazy day for golf.   As Bill took his backswing on the 16th tee a great gust of wind off the ocean blew him off balance and he barely made contact when he finished his swing.    What a great laugh we had.   By the time we reached the 17th green it was covered in ice, so we called it a round and headed for the clubhouse where I found a Balvenie Doublewood waiting for me when I came to the table.   When Bill tallied up the scorecard he was ecstatic to find I had parred almost half the holes...an achievement for me at a 14 or 15 handicap under those conditions.  I am certain I played so well because I was mostly just enjoying his great company.   

I was fortunate to play with him a couple more times, the last against him and Dick Daley in the 5th major.   But I will never forget our round together at Bandon,  cetainly the one of the most enjoyable rounds I have had the privilege to play, and And I am truly saddened to hear of his passing.   

Lou_Duran

« Reply #99 on: February 27, 2018, 09:54:15 PM »
Bill exemplified the best of this site.  We played numerous rounds together over the years including at Las Campañas in 2003, at Stevinson Ranch in '05 where he aced the 16th hole with a driver fighting a strong flanking wind, at Walton Heath- Old in 2011, and the last time, at Harbour Town in January '17.   For a former college golfer, Bill didn't often play well over the last 15 years, but he still loved everything about the game and maintained a positive attitude.  He was always fun to be with, on the course, at the bar, sharing a meal.  Bill was blessed with great personal warmth, an outstanding family, and too many good friends to count.

Bill told me more than once that he would never retire.  A mutual friend visited him at the hospital a week before he passed, and found him propped up with two laptops on his bed, excited about a new deal he was working on.  Generous always; optimistic to the end.   I hope, I trust he is pleasantly surprised in his new state of being.  He won't be forgotten.           

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back