News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ward peyronnin

Our Friend Bill McBride
« on: February 15, 2018, 10:51:03 PM »
I am so so saddened devastated and upset. DRinkin Joe Buehler just now mailed me that our good good friend and astoundingly accomplished GCA brother Billy McBride lost his long battle with cancer today and told me to let you all know.

I am too upset to compose a memorial right now. All I know now is I will miss him profoundly.
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

ward peyronnin

Re: Our Friend Bill McBride
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 10:57:55 PM »
Uncle Billy was ever the Happy Warrior
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 11:16:15 PM »

Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 11:26:19 PM »

Damn, Damn, Damn. The updates on his battle were always positive and I kept praying that he would pull through this with flying colors. Our Tiger has a new partner.  My meager and heartfelt condolences to the family.

The 14th tee at Victoria GC, Victoria, BC (via Photobucket)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 11:59:51 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 11:29:39 PM »
Oh no - I had no idea.  This is a punch to the gut - Bill had just posted to FB a few days ago and there was no indication.  My last get-together with Bill and Kathleen was in North Beach in SF some years ago on one of their return visits to the Bay Area.   RIP, Bill, and thoughts and prayers to Kathleen and family.   Hope Bill is able to play every day at the Valley Club above - I think that was his favorite place to play.   :(
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Steve Wilson

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 11:52:38 PM »
I'll bring the Balvenie Doublewood to the BUDA.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 12:01:30 AM »
Unfortunately it appears that some of the pictures from this thread (the King's Putter where Bill earned the "Ace" nickname) aren't available.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?topic=17632.1

"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

JLahrman

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 01:25:35 AM »
Are you people shitting me? I didn't even know he was ill. I'm not in as close of contact with other posters as many of you are, but have been friendly with Bill since we met at the 2011 KP. We often sent notes and PMs back and forth.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 02:00:13 AM »
Never met or knew Bill but in searching the KP threads I saw this from Lou Duran referencing Bill "ace" Mcbride's hole in one in the 2005 event and thought it a nice tribute of a moment in time not lost.

"Ace" McBride

The hole made famous by Ace McBride- 205y into the wind

Paul Thomas, Ace, and Huckster paying homage

The same guys from their better side

The moment of truth- did we really see it go in?

Ace emerges victorious
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 02:30:48 AM »
Very sad news indeed. Bill was one of the stalwarts of this site and will be sadly, sadly missed. My heart felt condolences to his family and friends.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 02:44:34 AM »
A very sad day indeed.  :'(
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Giles Payne

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 04:06:57 AM »
That’s a dreadful shock - catching up with Bill was always a highlight when I managed to play BUDA. He will be sorely missed.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2018, 04:18:25 AM »
I never actually met Bill but this is a great shock.

We communicated often via email and Facebook and I didn't know he was ill.

He was so clearly a lovely man.

Sean_A

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2018, 04:32:45 AM »
I too am in shock and immensely somber.  Bill could always be counted on for a smile and a bit of banter...he will be missed.

Ace at Pennard's 10th doing his thing.  Nobody loved the game more.

Regards

Sean
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 04:34:52 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Ben Stephens

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2018, 04:39:06 AM »

This is out of the blue. I am shocked to hear the news of Bill's passing.

We take life for granted.  Our lives are richer knowing people like Bill McBride. I had the priveledge of meeting Bill and his partner in crime Drinkin' Joe a number of times in BUDA on the course and in the bar.

Bill was one of those larger than life characters on GCA or even this planet. He was such a lovely bloke with a southern like drawl. Cancer is a black scar on the human race of which a number of us or close members of our family/friends has been affected by. 

I am sure Bill is now playing his dream golf course in heaven and meeting a number of Golden Age Architects that he would have dreamt of meeting.

Would like to say adieu to our 'Ace' in the pack and please pass on my condolences to the McBride family. BUDA will never be the same again without Uncle Bill (which we younger ones looked up to him) and we will always raise a glass to one of the most esteemed gentleman of the Golf Club Atlas family.   

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2018, 06:27:13 AM »
I’m broken hearted.   :'(

Bill was my first GCA.com friend. We met in New Mexico on the “Land of Enchantment” tour in 2003 and it’s so hard to believe he’s gone after just 15 short years.

I just talked with Bill a few days ago and he was hopeful he would be returning home from the hospital soon. This is very very hard to take.

We were just communicating about plans for the next Dixie Cup... the event Bill started by getting us all to visit Cuscowilla in 2004.

Bill loved this website and all of you guys. He and I talked many times about how this site changed our lives by opening a world of golf adventure and introducing us to the true camaraderie all of you provide.

I loved Bill McBride and will miss my good friend’s smiling face and joyous spirit for the rest of my life.

See you on the other side, Ace!

Bill collects a hard won fiver from Tom Huckaby at a the 2011 King’s Putter
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 08:30:40 AM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2018, 06:36:37 AM »
Oh, no.
Not ashamed to say I’m typing this with tears in my eyes.
He’s the second uncle I’ve lost this year and they’ll both be sorely missed.
I’ll have a wee Balvenie for you tonight, dearest Unc.
Neffers Aye,
M.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 06:39:13 AM by Marty Bonnar »
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2018, 07:03:09 AM »
He will be missed. We were friends for a long time.

Might I suggest that we now call the event the "McBride Dixie Cup."

mike_malone

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2018, 07:24:50 AM »
I can’t find words to express my sadness. He just commented on FB congratulating Philly guys on the Eagles.

I think of his wife and will pray for her, his constant companion.
AKA Mayday

astavrides

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2018, 07:26:56 AM »
Sad news. Really nice guy. Always enjoyed his posts.

George Pazin

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2018, 08:02:00 AM »
I can't really add much to the many true words shared above. I was lucky enough to share a few rounds periodically with Bill in Pensacola, as I had in laws who lived there. Those were wonderful rounds, largely because of Bill's ever present smile. He will be greatly missed by all.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Eric Smith

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2018, 08:04:03 AM »
What a good man he was. Just a special human being. I got a nice email from Bill the other day recounting our match play successes and failures - I knew he was in the hospital but I wasn’t expecting this.

A few years ago I went to give him a hug in the pro shop at May River and he was kind of taken aback saying ‘ah a hugger eh?’. We hugged of course. Then the last time I saw him at Harbour Town about a year ago and he initiated the hug.

I love and miss you, Bill. Rest In Peace.

Niall C

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2018, 08:24:09 AM »
I’d the pleasure of meeting Bill only the once, when he came over on a trip a few years ago. Martin Bonnar set up a day at Leven and I was lucky to be paired up with Bill and Rich Goodall. What a fantastic day and I remember well sitting in the clubhouse talking afterwards with Bill over a drink. Just a lovely man who I suspect left his mark with everyone he met.

I don’t normally drink whisky but I’ll certainly be raising a glass of Balvenie in his honour. To paraphrase an old Scots toast - “Wha's like him - damn few and they're a' deid”.

Niall

Dan Kelly

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2018, 08:26:24 AM »
Another bad loss in a sad, sad week.

R.I.P., Bill.

Damned cancer. What type was it?
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Jud_T

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2018, 08:26:31 AM »
Very, very sad.  I had no idea.  My condolences to all his friends and family. 
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back