News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Schley

King's Putter History
« on: February 15, 2018, 01:26:17 PM »
Team,

I have no idea exactly the genesis of the King's Putter nor the history of the tourneys you have orchestrated through the years.  I am fascinated by friends and strangers coming together to enjoy our great game over long distances and taking home memories that will last for the rest of our days. 

Being a new member of GCA I'm NOT the lazy poster that simply asks questions expected others to shower me with anything I desire to inquire upon.  I did my best over the past hour or so to dig up what I could about past King's Putter events and then thought well let me catalog what I have found for posterity and reference.  However, I have no idea if the below is correct or not as I couldn't find any master thread for a KP events.

So a couple quick preguntas:
1. What in the Sam hell is the King's Putter and how did it come about? (I'm dying to know)
2. How often are they held and who organizes them?
3. Is my below information correct?  If not please post and I will go back and correct or add to what I have.

I am really looking forward to hopefully making one of these, although with my location we shall have to see what God's plan is.  Thanks so much.

Genesis
From Pete Lavallee:
The first King’s Putter was organized by the Emperor himself Tommy Nacarrato, a mainstay of the early gca period. Some of the No. Cal. Guys had teed it up together and it seemed like a good idea to get together with the So. Cal guys for a friendly Ryder Cup style match. No strokes were given just a report of holes won and the outcome was quite close with No.Cal victorious. Tom Huckaby and Ed Getka herded the northern group. As the only San Diego resident I hosted a bbq on Saturday night; 28 of the 32 participants came to the house; quite intimidating inviting 31 strangers over! A good time was had by all as we had 3kegs of beer; 2homebrews and Ballast Points award winning Calico Amber. We also had a big wine drinking contingent wihich quickly consumed the 4 bottles I had purchased, Gib Papazian brought several Zins and a request was made late in the evening to break into the wine cellar for a few more bottles. As I remember we went through 60 chicken wings, 3 Tri tips, 3 pork loins and 3 corned beefs! It was natural for the north to host the next Event and we have been rotating from south to north ever since. There was no Event in 2007 as Tommy was trying to negotiate a reasonable rate at La Purisima and 2 other courses; we couldn’t get the right price so there was no Event that year. We’ve had as many as 40 and as few as 8 participants.

After the success of the KP other areas started their own regional competitions: the Dixie Cup in the South run by Mike Whitaker, the Buda Cup in the UK, the Midwest Mashie and the Summer Ball. In answer to your earlier question I have attended all but 2 KP’s; I was out of town for the Stevenson’s Ranch outing and the Memorial Day date for Truckee didn’t fit my schedule.

The Genesis of the actual KP trophy
From Pete Lavallee:
Dan King, who was a frequent poster in the early days of GCA donated the putter; he ended every thread with a quote. It's a hickory shafted bullseye with VINI, VIDI, VECI inscribed on it. It was actually used for a round at Cypress Point and sunk a putt of around 30 feet there!

History
2017 KP XV - Bandon, OR.: Bandon Dunes, Pacific Dunes, Old MacDonald, Bandon Trails, Sheep Ranch - William Grieve
2016 KP XIV - Eugene, OR.: Emerald Valley, Tokatee, Eugene CC - William Grieve
2015 KP XIII - Walla Walla, WA.: Wine Valley GC - Pete Pittock and Robert Jenkins
2014 KP XII - Tacoma, WA.: Chambers Bay, Gold Mountain, Home Course - Richard Choi
2013 KP XI - San Luis Obispo, CA.: San Luis Obispo CC, Monarch Dunes, Dairy Creek, Morro Bay, Links of Paso Robles, Santa Maria CC - Dan King
2012 KP X - British Columbia: Sagebrush, Marine Dr  - Robert Jenkins
2011 KP IX - Bandon, OR.: Bandon, Bandon Dunes, Pacific Dunes , Bandon Trails. Old Mac - Bill McBride
2010 KP VIII - Trukee, CA.: Clear Creek, Coyote Moon, Timlick, Grays Crossing, Old Greenwood - Kyle Henderson
2009 KP VII - Simi Valley, CA.: Rustic Canyon, Soule Park, Sherwood CC - David Stamm
2008 KP VI - Monterey, CA.: Monterrey CC Shore, Bayonet, Pacific Grove, Pasatiempo - Ed Getka
2007 - No Event
2006 KP V - Palm Desert, CA.: Stone Eagle, Plantation GC, Palms GC - Tommy Naccarato
2005 KP IV - Stevinson, CA.: Stevinson Ranch - Tom Huckaby
2004 KP III - Moorpark, CA.: Rustic Canyon - David Moriarty, Tommy Naccarato, David Kelly
2003 KP II - Santa Cruz, CA.: Pasatiempo, Pajaro Dunes - Tom Huckaby
2002 KP I - Lakeside, CA.: Barona Creek - Tommy Nacarrato, Ed Getka
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 01:52:52 PM by Jeff Schley »
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

John Kavanaugh

Re: King's Putter History
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 01:34:54 PM »
We took a group picture from the original King's Putter. I'd like to see it posted without names and see if you can identify us just by what you have learned about us so far.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 01:35:50 PM »
Dan King, who was a frequent poster in the early days of GCA donated the putter; he ended every thread with a quote. It's a hickory shafted bullseye with VINI, VIDI, VECI inscribed on it. It was actually used for a round at Cypress Point and sunk a putt of around 30 feet there! I am in possession of it currently as Southern Cal won the last KP contested at Bandon Dunes.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Jeff Schley

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 01:38:21 PM »
We took a group picture from the original King's Putter. I'd like to see it posted without names and see if you can identify us just by what you have learned about us so far.

HA!  I'm sure everyone is still wearing size 32 waist and long dark hair huh?  I did find this thread but no pictures are available.......

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,23887.msg439484.html#msg439484
- Steve Prefontaine

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 02:11:11 PM »
i Believe the 2008 one was in Monterey/Santa Cruz area...and the north Won

2012? was at Sagebrush I believe, can't recall the victor....

Two other ones were in the Reno/Tahoe area one year and Sherwood CC another...

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 02:24:23 PM »

2015 Tacoma Chambers Bay and Gold Mtn.  organizer - Richard Choi
2014  British Columbia - Sagebrush, Marine Dr   North by 1 Pt - Organizer Robert Jenkins
2013 dnp
2012  Bandon - Organizer - Bill McBride
2011?   San Luis Obispo, Monarch Dunes, Santa Maria - Dam King

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 02:28:05 PM »
Pete, I moved back to Utah in October 2012 from Spokane, WA....

I am 100% positive I was living in Spokane when i attended the one at Sagebrush.  Just couldn't recall if it was 2011 or 2012....

Either way, it was a super fun KP...the yurt on 13/14 was awesome to say the least, and I put the stank on Garland in our match  ;D

Garland Bayley

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 03:01:05 PM »

2015 Tacoma Chambers Bay and Gold Mtn.  organizer - Richard Choi actually 2014
2014  British Columbia - Sagebrush, Marine Dr   North by 1 Pt - Organizer Robert Jenkins actually 2012
2013 dnp Actually 2015 some of the peeps showed up at Wine Valley for a good time.
2012  Bandon - Organizer - Bill McBride actually 2011
2011?   San Luis Obispo, Monarch Dunes, Santa Maria - Dam King actually 2010 with Links of Paso Robles,
 Dairy Creek, and Morro Bay

« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 03:18:55 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 03:08:14 PM »
2009 Rustic Canyon, Soule Park in Ojai, Sherwood CC
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 03:11:26 PM »
i Believe the 2008 one was in Monterey/Santa Cruz area...and the north Won

2012? was at Sagebrush I believe, can't recall the victor....

Two other ones were in the Reno/Tahoe 2010 area one year and Sherwood CC 2009 another...

Jeff Schley

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 03:18:16 PM »
OK there were some conflicting reports for some of the tourneys...... please check it out and correct me if you think you can recall the details.......need organizers as well please to give credit.
- Steve Prefontaine

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 03:22:40 PM »
Here is the best that I can remember; some years may be wrong.

2017 - April - Bandon, Oregon: Bandon Dunes, Pacific Dunes, Old MacDonald, Bandon Trails, Sheep ranch
2016 - March - Eugene, Oregon: Emerald Valley, Tokatee, Eugene CC
2015 – Washington, Chambers Bay, The Home Course
2014 – Canada, Sagebrush, Marine Drive
2013 – Reno Tahoe, Clear Creek
2012 – Cayucos, Dairy Creek, Morro Bay, The Links at Pasa Robles
2011 - San Louis Obispo CC, Monarch Dunes Santa Maria CC
2010 – Bandon, Bandon Dunes, Pacific Dunes , Bandon Trails
2009 – Monterey CC Shore, Bayonet, Pacific Grove
2008 – Rustic Canyoo, Soule Park, Sherwood CC
2007 – No Event
2006 KPV - ? - Palm Desert, CA.: Stone Eagle, Plantation GC, The Palms CC
2005 KPIV - April - Stevinson, CA.: Stevinson Ranch
2004 KPIII - March - Moorpark, CA.: Rustic Canyon
2003 KPII - March - Santa Cruz, CA.: Pasatiempo, Pajaro Valley
2002 KPI  - Lakeside, CA.: Barona Creek
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 03:43:19 PM by Pete Lavallee »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Garland Bayley

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2018, 03:26:51 PM »
OK there were some conflicting reports for some of the tourneys...... please check it out and correct me if you think you can recall the details.......need organizers as well please to give credit.
Tahoe was organized by Kyle Henderson
Rustic, Soule Park was organized by David Stamm
William Grieve organized the last 2 (Eugene and Bandon)
The details I have added in red are from website searches, so I am pretty confident they are correct.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 03:28:24 PM by Garland Bayley »

George Pazin

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2018, 03:27:48 PM »
If this thread doesn't illustrate just how different people can remember the same exact event completely differently, nothing will.

:)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Garland Bayley

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2018, 03:40:51 PM »

2014  British Columbia - Sagebrush, Marine Dr   North by 1 Pt - Organizer Robert Jenkins actually 2012
2013 dnp Actually 2015 some of the peeps showed up at Wine Valley for a good time.
2011?   San Luis Obispo, Monarch Dunes, Santa Maria - Dam King actually 2010 with Links of Paso Robles,

Dan King organized the 2013 KP around San Luis Obispo. I put it at 2010, because I had determined 2011 was Bandon.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2018, 03:45:37 PM »

Dan King organized the 2013 KP around San Luis Obispo. I put it at 2010, because I had determined 2011 was Bandon.

Ok Garland take a look at what I have and tell me what you think.......
- Steve Prefontaine

Garland Bayley

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2018, 03:45:51 PM »
Pete is good on places, but has the years all mixed up. Especially the time travel he did during Dan King's event, which he has in two years. ;)

Here is the best that I can remember; some years may be wrong.

2017 - April - Bandon, Oregon: Bandon Dunes, Pacific Dunes, Old MacDonald, Bandon Trails, Sheep ranch
2016 - March - Eugene, Oregon: Emerald Valley, Tokatee, Eugene CC
2015 – Washington, Chambers Bay, The Home Course
2014 – Canada, Sagebrush, Marine Drive
2013 – Reno Tahoe, Clear Creek
2012 – Cayucos, Dairy Creek, Morro Bay, The Links at Pasa Robles
2011 - San Louis Obispo CC, Monarch Dunes Santa Maria CC
2010 – Bandon, Bandon Dunes, Pacific Dunes , Bandon Trails
2009 – Monterey CC Shore, Bayonet, Pacific Grove
2008 – Rustic Canyoo, Soule Park, Sherwood CC
2007 – No Event
2006 KPV - ? - Palm Desert, CA.: Stone Eagle, Plantation GC, The Palms CC
2005 KPIV - April - Stevinson, CA.: Stevinson Ranch
2004 KPIII - March - Moorpark, CA.: Rustic Canyon
2003 KPII - March - Santa Cruz, CA.: Pasatiempo, Pajaro Valley
2002 KPI  - Lakeside, CA.: Barona Creek

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2018, 04:48:36 PM »

I will stipulate that time, and occasionally place may be jumbled up. I know I just got back from New Zealand, or was it?

Jeff,
Add Home Course to the Tacoma KP
2010 was centered around Truckee. We also played Gray's Crossing, Old Greenwood and Coyote Moon, based on picture labels.
I think there was another one, which has been renamed. Ah! It was Timilick, renamed Shaffers Mill.

I copied this from an old thread when our memories were fresher,
                            Re: 2015 King's Putter venue suggestions?                            
« Reply #108 on: December 26, 2014, 12:25:26 PM »

2002 Barona Creek
2003 Pasatiempo, Pajaro Valley
2004 Rustic Canyon
2005 Stevenson's Ranch
2006 no KP
2007 Pacific Grove, Bayonet, MPCC
2008 Soule Park, Rustic Canyon, Sherwood CC
2009 Clear Creek, Coyote Moon, Timlick, Grays Crossing, Old Greenwood
2010 Stone Eagle, Plantation, Palms
2011 Bandon
2012 Sagebrush, Marine Drive
2013 St Loius Obispo, Dairy Creek, Morro Bay, Monarch Dunes, Santa Maria CC
2014 Gold Mountain, Chambers Bay, Home Course
2015 undecided

« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 04:28:18 PM by Pete Lavallee »                     

astavrides                     

Re: 2015 King's Putter venue suggestions?                            
« Reply #109 on: December 26, 2014, 07:51:34 PM »

Quote from: Pete Lavallee on December 26, 2014, 12:25:26 PM<blockquote>2002 Barona Creek
2003 Pasatiempo, Pajaro Valley
2004 Rustic Canyon
2005 Stevenson's Ranch
2006 no KP
2007 Pacific Grove, Bayonet, MPCC
2008 Soule Park, Rustic Canyon
2009 Clear Creek, Coyote Moon, Timlick, Grays Crossing, Old Greenwood
2010 Stone Eagle, Plantation, Palms
2011 Bandon
2012 Sagebrush, Marine Drive
2013 St Loius Obispo, Dairy Creek, Morro Bay, Monarch Dunes, Santa Maria CC
2014 Gold Mountain, Chambers Bay, Home Course
2015 undecided
</blockquote>

Stone Eagle, etc was in 2006. Clear Creek was in 2010. But yeah.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 04:59:04 PM by Pete_Pittock »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2018, 04:53:42 PM »
The contributions of Bob Huntley can not be understated. He was one of the Kings in all our lives.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2018, 05:19:11 PM »
The contributions of Bob Huntley can not be understated. He was one of the Kings in all our lives.

JK,

We can certainly drink to that my man.  A true gentleman and generous as hell...

P.S.  Jeff, Garlands dates seem pretty spot on.  I would go with his posts...

David_Tepper

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2018, 05:33:13 PM »
Watching a little of the golf from Riviera today made me think of Mr. Huntley, as he was a Riviera member for many years.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2018, 05:40:58 PM »
Ok guys .... how are we looking now?  A couple items:

1.  Where was it in 2015 and 2009?  I think I have moved things as instructed, but left with these holes.
2.  If anyone wants to help with recognizing the organizers for each event I'd love to put those in.

As a side note has any GCAer played in all the KP's?
- Steve Prefontaine

Kalen Braley

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2018, 05:42:44 PM »
Ok guys .... how are we looking now?  A couple items:

1.  Where was it in 2015 and 2009?  I think I have moved things as instructed, but left with these holes.
2.  If anyone wants to help with recognizing the organizers for each event I'd love to put those in.

As a side note has any GCAer played in all the KP's?

You had it right before....2008 was MOntery, and 2009 was so cal.  2007, I don't know.....

Garland Bayley

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2018, 05:54:04 PM »

Ok Garland take a look at what I have and tell me what you think.......
2013 had singles matches at Monarch Dunes, and an informal 2nd round that third day at Santa Maria CC.
2015 Pete Pittock and Bob Jenkins wanted to play Wine Valley so they invited KPers to join them there for a couple of days in lieu of a formal KP.
2009 was Rustic, etc.
2008 was Monterrey, etc.
Apparently no 2007 event.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2018, 05:57:12 PM »
The emperor organize palm desert. Others will remember his name.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back